Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Cleaning Up
 The Wonder of Hydrogen Peroxide!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Cleaning Up: Previous Topic The Wonder of Hydrogen Peroxide! Next Topic  

granola girl
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Gina
Valrico Florida
USA
27 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2006 :  09:31:05 AM  Show Profile
The other day as I finished up my gardening and lawn chores, I happened to noticed some blood stains right by my front door on the slate walkway! Perhaps a cat had gotten hold of a bird or a frog...in either case I had to get rid of the ugly stains and was worried that it had seeped into the slate.

I first scrubbed with soap and it didn't even do a dent! Then I thought of hydrogen peroxide...so when the slate dried, I poured it on full-strength on each stain and let it sit overnight.

I am happy to report that the stains are gone. Ahhhh, the wonder of hydrogen peroxide! This also works on wine stains on a blouse or carpet.

Farmgirl At Heart

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2006 :  09:46:22 AM  Show Profile
Oh I love it for blood stains too!! I have a son who gets bloody noses easily on hot days and I can't tell you how many white t-shirts I have saved with hydrogen peroxide!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2006 :  10:22:03 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for this great tip! I use hydrogen peroxide on all my cuts and those of my family because I feel it really kills bacteria. Now I ill use it on stains, too. I know it has a bleaching quality, so I guess you would have to stick to white things, and slate!!! :)

Peace
Go to Top of Page

ali2583
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Alison
Winnipeg Manitoba
Canada
404 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2006 :  2:25:58 PM  Show Profile
Ever since I got my ears pierced (I was 7) I've been using hydrogen peroxide to clean my earrings. Works like a charm!

"God's gift to you is life. What you choose to do with that life is your gift to God"
Go to Top of Page

KJD
True Blue Farmgirl

402 Posts

402 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2006 :  7:02:14 PM  Show Profile
also, gargle for sore throat!
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2006 :  06:35:09 AM  Show Profile
And you can pour a little HP in the cupped palm of your hand (or a small plastic lid) with some baking soda and mix it together with your toothbrush for a whitening toothpaste...don't use too often but nice to get a good clean smile for special occasions. I do know some people who use this daily.

Soak your toothbrush in HP to kill germs on a regular basis, and always after a cold.

Jo
Go to Top of Page

sugarsfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Leah
Woodward Iowa
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2006 :  08:18:12 AM  Show Profile  Send sugarsfarm an AOL message
my dad swears by HP. He loves it so much he uses it as a cleanser in his ears!! Of course i dont know if you are suppose to do this, it always sounded so strange to me. But he says that it gets rid of an ear infection real quick!

You must be the change you want to see in the world.
Mahatma Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

KJD
True Blue Farmgirl

402 Posts

402 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2006 :  3:21:08 PM  Show Profile
Yes, and I shouldn't recommend the gargle - a lot of our remedies were not on the AMA list, I'm sure! It really foams up in your throat and there's lots of spitting involved. Our other sore throat remedy was whiskey - gargle, let a little go down, then spit. That's something I didn't continue to the next generation!
Go to Top of Page

KellyA
True Blue Farmgirl

237 Posts

Kelly
Johnsonville NY
USA
237 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2006 :  5:22:44 PM  Show Profile  Send KellyA an AOL message
I never knew about HP and blood until this past May when I tried to give blood at a local blood drive at school. The very nice gentleman inserting the needle slipped, and the blood went all over my white blouse. Another technician came with HP and diligently sponged out the blood until it was completely gone!! I am sold on HP for blood stains!! As for the ears, my son's doctor recommended using it to prevent his wax build-up...guess the doctor knows HP, too!

Kelly

When a cookbook is in hand, life is good!
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2006 :  06:53:06 AM  Show Profile
Using HP for ears is common - we always use it to "rinse" the ears of our kids (and us) and our dogs after they swim in the river...just pour a little bit onto a cotton ball and tilt the victim's head and squeeze a few drops into their ears. For the dogs I usually massage the ear a bit and then let them shake it out. For humans they can tilt their head the other way and let the excess run out.

Jo
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic The Wonder of Hydrogen Peroxide! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page