Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 **MaryJanesFarm Products & Merchandise
 Visiting the Farm
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author **MaryJanesFarm Products & Merchandise: Previous Topic Visiting the Farm   

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2005 :  4:45:24 PM  Show Profile
My daughter just spent two weeks in Pasco, Washington. While there she tried to visit MaryJane's Farm (about 2-3 hours away). For a Florida girl this was a chance to see a place we have come to love which does not come along very often. She, like me, reads every issue through and through. We thought the schoolhouse and grist mill and all were open to the public all the time. She called and Cindylou told her not to come! My daughter was very disappointed! Is the farm not open to the public to visit in the winter, even casually? She would not have expected a lot, but just wanted to see the place we read about so much.

jpbluesky

Love those big blue skies and wide open spaces.

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2005 :  10:03:35 AM  Show Profile
I am so sorry your daughter did not get to go see the farm. I just looked over the entire site for dates of operation for touring and found only that the bed and breakfast part is open from June 1 through September 30th. The sites have really changed lately. You all ought to go for the photo tour of the farm and school as well as the mill and bed and breakfast. Lots of new photos. The tour dates that I thought I read in there are not there any more.
I know it is too late now but I think that if you had e-mailed Mary Jane directly and requested a time for your daughter to go see the farm that she might have been able to set something up. I know that things are really crazy around there right now with the completion of the book, getting the new magazine ready and also the spring planting and all that comes with this time of year is very time consuming. There may simply not have been any available person to give your daughter the tour. I hope her dissappointment is short lived and that she gets another chance in the future. I am hoping to see the farm this summer myself. I live about 8 hours drive away and still have not been able to make the trip either.
The photo tour is wonderful!! go to the home page ant take the tour with your daughter. I think she will enjoy it too.
Eileen

songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

Cindylou
Farmgirl at Heart

243 Posts

Cindylou
Moscow Idaho
243 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2005 :  10:08:09 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning from Cindylou here at MaryJanesFarm. Thank you jpbluesky for addressing the issue of your daughter’s disappointment when she called inquiring about a farm visit. I explained to her that the farm is closed in the winter for the following reasons. MaryJane loves to have everything all gussied up and as beautiful as it appears in her magazine. Flowers blooming; the Plum Pit, outdoor beds and kitchen all set up; the greenhouse full of veggies; and the spring cleaning done so she can share her hospitality with her cherished farmgirls. This year it is especially torn up, as MaryJane’s house is finally being rebuilt since her old farmhouse burned down in 1996. It is a muddy mess. MaryJane has been tied up since October working hard to finish her book and has had to let other projects be on hold to do so.

I understand your disappointment and that you had your heart set on visiting, and I apologize for that. We have requests quite often and MaryJane has asked that we welcome visitors with open arms from May through September. Then you can see the farm in all its splendor when MaryJane can feel that her hospitality lives up to your expectations.

And, while the Blaine Schoolhouse and Flour Mill are available, they are locked and require someone from the farm there to meet visitors. Neither building is heated or used in the winter.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to discuss farm visits. Please let me know if you have other concerns. MaryJane and I appreciate hearing from all of you!

Sunnily yours,
Cindylou
Cindylou@maryjanesfarm.org
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2005 :  12:27:30 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Cindylou, for being so nice to explain about MaryJane farm visits. I bet sometimes the enthusiasm of your readers gets to be a little overwhelming! For us, it stems from the fact that we are a whole country away down here in Florida.

I hope your remodeling and rebuilding goes well and that someday we can get back to that part of the USA and visit you when all is lovely!

jpbluesky

Love those big blue skies and wide open spaces.
Go to Top of Page

Cindylou
Farmgirl at Heart

243 Posts

Cindylou
Moscow Idaho
243 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2005 :  1:46:09 PM  Show Profile
The thing I love about being part of this wonderful Farmgirl Connection is how well we are able to communicate with each other!
Thank You jpbluesky for your understanding and for your gracious reply. It was 20 degrees this morning on my thermometer, time to stay inside and drink hot chocolate! I do hope that someday you and your daughter can come visit in the summer, when it's beautiful and pleasant here. I would love to meet you both!
Cindylou
Go to Top of Page
  **MaryJanesFarm Products & Merchandise: Previous Topic Visiting the Farm   
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page