smiley
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

lea
pea ridge arkansas
USA
650 Posts

Posted - May 14 2011 :  8:50:21 PM  Show Profile
I have went back to page 9 and havent seen this but does anyone have uses for the walmart bags? I use them as small trash can liners and still have way too many saved up. I forget to return them to walmart when I go. Do they still take them? Seems like there should be a clever craft or something out there for them

Annie S
True Blue Farmgirl

756 Posts

Annie
Custer S.D.
USA
756 Posts

Posted - May 15 2011 :  09:50:07 AM  Show Profile
I know you can crochet shopping bags out of any plastic shopping bags you get from stores, as well as crochet rugs. Also, a lot of grocery stores now have a container or spot where you can bring back your plastic bags and they are shipped off - probably to some faraway factory that will shred them up and make even more plastic shopping bags out of them! Also check out consignment/thrift stores - they will take them (clean of course)to use for their customers. I'd check out sites on-line for other crafty ideas too. Good luck.
Go to Top of Page

smiley
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

lea
pea ridge arkansas
USA
650 Posts

Posted - May 15 2011 :  12:44:40 PM  Show Profile
Thanks I really like the thrift store idea. I can tell myself I am going there to drop these off and in the process who knows what other "must haves" I will find!
Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - May 15 2011 :  12:50:09 PM  Show Profile
I recently borrowed a book from the library (interloan) that had all kinds of projects using plastic bags. I can't remember the title, but here is another one.

Eco-Friendly Knits: Using Recycled Plastic Bags (Twenty to Make) by Emily Blades

Farmgirl #800
http://pioneerwomanatheart.blogspot.com/

http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

smiley
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

lea
pea ridge arkansas
USA
650 Posts

Posted - May 15 2011 :  6:27:16 PM  Show Profile
Thank you.I will see if our library has it
Go to Top of Page

DeborahLee
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

Deborah
Starkville Mississippi
USA
85 Posts

Posted - May 16 2011 :  09:40:47 AM  Show Profile
I've tried to reduce the number that I get by using reusable bags but it's not always easy to do that. I have found that my local public library likes to have some for their monthly books sales and my local salvation army also will accept the bags for use in their thrift store.

Professor, librarian, writer and farmgirl!
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2011 :  11:51:56 AM  Show Profile
I save them to give away to community clothing banks or swaps or clothes giveaways, bags make it easier for the needy to "shop" in the free stores. I believe so much in those kinds of charities that I wish I had a garage to host one in :( I don't even have a shed to store and sort donations.

"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

Mariebelle
True Blue Farmgirl

54 Posts

Marie
Clarkston WA
USA
54 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2011 :  1:34:00 PM  Show Profile
I try not to get the store bags, i like those reusable ones, now that i've trained myself to remember to take them into the store with me! I do have two dogs and a cat, so i do get those store bags once in a while to use when i have to clean up the yard and litter box. But i don't get more of them than i need. I like the idea of taking them to thrift/antique stores, but then when you go to shop take your own re-usable bag so you don't go home with the same bags you just brought in! hahaha

Born in the wrong era...
Marie
Go to Top of Page

nancypo
True Blue Farmgirl

362 Posts

nancy
boise idaho
USA
362 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2011 :  9:28:06 PM  Show Profile
I still like to get paper ones once in a while. I sue them in the garden as a weed blocker....

Be the change...
Go to Top of Page

tammyknit
True Blue Farmgirl

135 Posts

Tammy
Reedsburg WI
USA
135 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2011 :  7:45:14 PM  Show Profile
We use the fabric bags for grocery shopping, but sometimes forget them in other stores. My DH uses the plastic bags for small bathroom and bedroom trash cans and for cleaning up the lawn and for used cat litter. We also use paper bags for paper recycling. Sometimes we deliberately do not carry in bags to the grocery store, just to get paper bags when we run low.

Tammy
Go to Top of Page

Bart
True Blue Farmgirl

115 Posts

115 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2011 :  08:55:09 AM  Show Profile
I fuse them together with an iron (on a low setting), then paint, stamp or??? decorate. You can stitch and quilt them too! I then line them and make them into purses.
They're really attractive, washable and lightweight.
Go to Top of Page

soapsister
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Terry
Gandeeville West Virginia
USA
17 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2011 :  08:59:23 AM  Show Profile  Send soapsister an AOL message
How do you do this?.. I have never heard of it before..
quote:
Originally posted by Bart

I fuse them together with an iron (on a low setting), then paint, stamp or??? decorate. You can stitch and quilt them too! I then line them and make them into purses.
They're really attractive, washable and lightweight.

Go to Top of Page
  Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic platic store bags re-used Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page