Sweet_Tea
True Blue Farmgirl

194 Posts

Tara
Newberry SC
USA
194 Posts

Posted - May 14 2011 :  08:53:16 AM  Show Profile
There is not much that fills my heart with joy more than horses. They amaze me all the time.
The ranch down the street is hosting a big trail ride, and they were having a Fun night last night. So after I got most of my chores done, I told my cowboy I wanted to go run Lebo (his horse) around barrels.
So he said let's go. I went and Got Lebo out of the pasture put him on our stock trailer and loaded up my saddle and we headed out.
They asked what events I wanted to sign up for, so I signed up for some flag race, pole bending, barrel race and the arena race.
First one was the pole bending, I was really excited about this one. and when they called our name we went out and that roany pony launched and I set him up for the first pole and he did it in 18 seconds. we totally won.. Then the barrel race we were like second (i never ran barrels before) I learned a lesson from that.... you probably should check and set up before the first barrel :). But the flag race was kinda stupid.. but then came the arena race. and Lebo was dancing and excited before we entered the arena. My cowboy said don't you dare check him. So I screamed a big ye-haw and kicked lebo, and boy oh boy he went flying. That horse runs so fast he makes my eyes water.. and we came up to the barrel and I closed my eyes and sat deep in the seat. then I opened my eyes and we were on our way back.
They tallied up the scores.. and I wound up being an overall winner :)
I was so excited. I love that horse. I've ridden him in two competitions now and won both times on him.
People were asking me where I learned to ride and one lady even said she saw me in a shooting magazine. I was shocked to hear that.
Tomorrow I was asked to come give a demo of shooting at the trail ride, so I'm gonna do that tomorrow.
But here is Lebo and I after the race.

Farmgirl Sister #2974
~ http://notsosweettea.blogspot.com/

"The air of heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears"

lilwing
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Brooke
Fulshear Texas
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - May 14 2011 :  09:14:51 AM  Show Profile  Send lilwing a Yahoo! Message
That is wonderful! I totally understand how you feel! And what an awesome picture! He's a beautiful horse and you look great with him. Congratulations, Tara!

~~~~
Proud Farmgirl #775

Go to Top of Page

Shi-anne
True Blue Farmgirl

596 Posts

Cheryl
Ada OK
USA
596 Posts

Posted - May 14 2011 :  09:20:49 AM  Show Profile
Tara, you look like one happy camper. Congratulations on the win! You and Lebo make a nice pair and take a great picture! What fun!

http://theprairiemaid.blogspot.com/

Farmgirls don't have hot flashes ~ They have power surges!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 14 2011 :  09:43:51 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
That is great! It sounds like so much fun! I can't wait to do some of those competitions when Tala is a bit less green. I went riding on Thursday and that crazy horse sprinted for about half a mile before I was able to check her!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - May 14 2011 :  10:39:48 AM  Show Profile
Woot! Awesome for you and Lebo! What fun!

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

Happy to be a "Raggedy Ann" in a Barbie World!

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

Sweet_Tea
True Blue Farmgirl

194 Posts

Tara
Newberry SC
USA
194 Posts

Posted - May 14 2011 :  1:38:01 PM  Show Profile
Alee, Now is the time to imprint on Tala.. the horse in the background picture is titan he turned 4 this past april. He has been on trails that he had to slide on his butt down to the bottom and crossed rivers, and he just gets miles put on him.. and He's turning into a good horse. We've had those runaway bouts and rearing. and last month he bucked the whole length of the arena. But the best thing for green horses is miles. And putting the miles on them helps the bond between the two of you. :)

Farmgirl Sister #2974
~ http://notsosweettea.blogspot.com/

"The air of heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears"
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 14 2011 :  4:12:56 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Tara- Oh it wasn't a run away! We both just wanted to run! I wasn't going to let her open up just to tamp her back down. She wanted to keep running but I thought I should let her run. Tala has never bucked at all. She doesn't hardly ever even buck in play! Tala and I have a really good bond- but you are right- the rides and miles are a great bonding experience. We have come a long way and still have a long way left to go. She just barely turned 4 as well and I only really started her saddle training last fall.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - May 14 2011 :  5:39:36 PM  Show Profile
What a great pic and story!

Takes me back...I was once 8th in the nation in barrels in ammy standings.

If you'd like a seious, no holds barred horse board, check out Chronicle of the Horse Forums. It's mainly english but us westerners are making inroads. There are olympians and world class folks on there. People from around the world. But you have to be tough skinned to survive the place. Those people are the serious horsemen of the world and tell you straight. It's the best horse board I've had to pleasure of joining. Just an FYI.

For some 'venting'-type of entertainment, please read my blog, http://lostadventuresintrucking.blogspot.com . Now with pictures!!

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - May 15 2011 :  8:37:41 PM  Show Profile
Tara....AWESOME!

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom.