Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - May 09 2011 :  11:34:06 AM  Show Profile
Well I don't live near an ocean, so it could even be creek glass. Anyway posted a picture of what I have. Do any of you collect Sea Glass?

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - May 09 2011 :  12:48:30 PM  Show Profile
Yes! "Mermaid treasure!" I love it! When we were kids, we'd gleen the beaches for hours searching for those beautiful "jewels from the sea"! I used to have a wonderful collection of sea glass at one time. Sadly, over the years I lost my collection somewhere between moves. I just loved all the icy colors - blues, greens, yellows, pinks and browns. I used to love using it in glass containers as a base for clear tealights - such an ethereal, heavenly glow! Love your collection, Nancy - I honestly didn't know it came from anywhere but the sea! We'll have to search for it locally now, too! Yay! - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

www.papercraftingwithnini.myctmh.com

Edited by - Ninibini on May 09 2011 12:48:54 PM
Go to Top of Page

embchicken
True Blue Farmgirl

1487 Posts

Elaine
Ocean NJ
USA
1487 Posts

Posted - May 09 2011 :  1:42:53 PM  Show Profile
Yes! I love walking along the beach looking for sea glass - we used to call them Mermaid's tears. I love it when I find the odd cobalt blue piece!

~ Elaine
Farmgirl sister #2822

"Find yourself a cup of tea; the teapot is behind you. Now tell me about hundreds of things." ~Saki

http://embchicken.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - May 09 2011 :  6:10:39 PM  Show Profile
Elaine - I think I like the term "Mermaid's tears" even better! It has such a romantic sound to it! :)

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - May 09 2011 :  6:41:53 PM  Show Profile
Living near the beach for so many years in Florida, I always looked for sea glass to no avail. Found many other things. It took only one trip to California, the Carmel/Monterey area, to come home with a bag full! I was so excited! What do you think made the difference? I have combed many many beaches in Florida and never found any.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - May 09 2011 :  7:30:15 PM  Show Profile
I loff sea glass! I have some in storage. Our vacay is coming up and I told hubs that we need to go to the ocean so I can scour the beach.

I don't care the color, all of it interests me.

For some 'venting'-type of entertainment, please read my blog, http://lostadventuresintrucking.blogspot.com . Now with pictures!!

Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3324 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3324 Posts

Posted - May 09 2011 :  8:25:22 PM  Show Profile
At the end of our street (2-blocks from the Bay of Green Bay) at the turn of the century there used to be a brewery-broken bottles were pitched out into the lake back when they could get away with it! Every summer for years and years my kids and I would scavenge the beach for bits of sea glass, especially after a good summer storm when the waves wash up bits.

I have used bags full of these lovely bits of smooth blue, green, amber and lavender bits of glass in my mosaics and I have jars of sea glass that I use for a special "touch" on my By the Bay Gift boxes!

Melody
Farmgirl #525
www.bythebayhandcraftedsoap.blogspot.com

Edited by - melody on May 09 2011 8:26:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

Arctic Flower
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

Marjorie
Nenana Alaska
USA
85 Posts

Posted - May 09 2011 :  8:43:38 PM  Show Profile
Yes, I love it. I make stained glass panels with it. I have to order mine from a sea shell company in Florida. It is really tumbled glass sold as sea glass but they always add a few shells for the spirit of it. I live so far from the ocean there isn't a chance of me finding any around here. But if anyone wants to sell their collection give me a holler. Here is a picture of one of my panels.

Farmgirl #2416

Believe in the power of Love!
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - May 09 2011 :  8:54:48 PM  Show Profile
That is BEAUTIFUL, Marjorie!!! I love it!!! :)

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

embchicken
True Blue Farmgirl

1487 Posts

Elaine
Ocean NJ
USA
1487 Posts

Posted - May 10 2011 :  04:28:54 AM  Show Profile
Marjorie- how beautiful - you have given me some ideas!

Jeannie~ that is odd that you didn't find any sea glass in Florida!

~ Elaine
Farmgirl sister #2822

"Find yourself a cup of tea; the teapot is behind you. Now tell me about hundreds of things." ~Saki

http://embchicken.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - May 10 2011 :  04:47:45 AM  Show Profile
I have jars of sea glass collected from the beaches of Southern California when I lived there. I have been collecting since my husband introduced me to it in the mid-seventies. He is from MA, cape cod area and had been collecting since a kid. I have just a little red, some blue and mostly white and brown. There is none here in Florida, that's right. At least none where I live. I mostly use it in vases and some in jars and put them in the window where the sun can shine through. I always manage to get to the beach in MA where it is abundat and get some more. I am so crazy for it I even have relatives send it to me as presents. I can't seem to get enough of it. Marjorie your stained glass panel is beautiful. What a wonderful way to use the stained glass.

Nancy
Farmgirl # 2301

Live everyday to the fullest
Go to Top of Page

HollyHobby
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

Holly
Astoria NY
USA
78 Posts

Posted - May 10 2011 :  05:15:05 AM  Show Profile
My husband loves the stuff! He collects it from a park here in the city.
People hanging out at the park toss their beer/soda bottles over the rail, and the tide coming in and out polishes the glass. It's inches deep!

When you stand at the rail, you can hear the tinkling of the glass, it's very pretty.

Farmgirl Sister #2942
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things. ~ Robert Brault
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - May 10 2011 :  05:56:20 AM  Show Profile
ok I need to move

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ChickieMama
True Blue Farmgirl

303 Posts

Angela
Banks Oregon
USA
303 Posts

Posted - May 10 2011 :  11:29:21 AM  Show Profile
Wow!!! That is beautiful!!! I would be collecting it like mad!!
quote:
Originally posted by HollyHobby

My husband loves the stuff! He collects it from a park here in the city.
People hanging out at the park toss their beer/soda bottles over the rail, and the tide coming in and out polishes the glass. It's inches deep!

When you stand at the rail, you can hear the tinkling of the glass, it's very pretty.

Farmgirl Sister #2942
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things. ~ Robert Brault

Farmgirl Sister#2808
"Happy Hens make Happy Eggs"
http://lazyjoranch.blogspot.com
http://etsy.com/shop/lazyjoranch
Go to Top of Page

Arctic Flower
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

Marjorie
Nenana Alaska
USA
85 Posts

Posted - May 10 2011 :  11:54:57 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the nice comments ladies. Holly, I need to come to New York for a visit. What a bonanza of glass to be had in such an unlikely place. I would be out there with a big dip net to catch some treasures. Wow!!

I wanted to share one more panel in blues and reds I made for a dear friend. You can just see the texture of some of the glass pieces. It's so fun to pick out the pieces. It's like putting a puzzle together. I use the Tiffany method of stained glass construction. I saw a show on TV years ago that featured an artist that glued the sea glass to old storm windows and then grouted in between the glass pieces. Held up to the light they were just beautiful. I haven't tried that yet. But I going to one day.

Farmgirl #2416

Go to Top of Page

HollyHobby
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

Holly
Astoria NY
USA
78 Posts

Posted - May 10 2011 :  12:00:49 PM  Show Profile
Sure, everyone's welcome! We'll have a picnic in the park and send my Bobby down to the shoreline to pick glass for us!

Farmgirl Sister #2942
Go to Top of Page

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - May 11 2011 :  2:20:59 PM  Show Profile
I used to collect it when I could find it as a kid along the shores of Lake Michigan or Lake Huron (depending on where we were camping, or picnicking) I have no idea where my collection was but I love mosaics and I always wanted to make one from the glass. Guess it's a good excuse to take my kids to the beach again for a day trip, maybe I will find some, maybe not. It's an adventure anyway you look at it! Marjorie: I love the pictures of the art you made, its so neat!

~We can make the world a better place for our kids and future generations by what we do today!~

http://countryrenaissance.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/SunflowersAndHoney
Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - May 11 2011 :  2:58:07 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Arctic Flower

Yes, I love it. I make stained glass panels with it. I have to order mine from a sea shell company in Florida. It is really tumbled glass sold as sea glass but they always add a few shells for the spirit of it. I live so far from the ocean there isn't a chance of me finding any around here. But if anyone wants to sell their collection give me a holler. Here is a picture of one of my panels.

Farmgirl #2416

how absolutely beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
thanx for sharing the photo

Farmgirl # 2139
~*~ counting my pennies and biding my time; my dreams are adding up!~*~
Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - May 11 2011 :  3:00:35 PM  Show Profile
i still have about a dozen of those blue wine bottles from last winter- would love to get a glass/rock tumbler from home to tumble my own!

Farmgirl # 2139
~*~ counting my pennies and biding my time; my dreams are adding up!~*~
Go to Top of Page

violetrose
True Blue Farmgirl

960 Posts

Ruth
Epworth GA
USA
960 Posts

Posted - May 11 2011 :  4:23:00 PM  Show Profile
I'm from Scituate, MA and I grew up collecting "Sea glass"! Still love to do it when I go "Home"! I have a good bit of it, but have lost far more than I have now :(. To me it is so peaceful to walk on the beach looking for pretty glass. When we went to NovaScotia there was lots of sea glass there, wish I had picked up lots of it, but I only picked up a few pieces.
Arctic Flower, your artwork is just beautiful!
Hugs, Ruth

Farmgirl Sister # 1738

God loves each one of us as if there were only one of us!

St. Augustine
Go to Top of Page

Roxy7
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Robin
Denver CO
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - May 11 2011 :  7:48:51 PM  Show Profile
I have some local pieces from lakes and rivers. Most of mine are from Hawaii. My first piece was from Lake Superior. I make necklaces with some. I love treasure hunting for neat bits. Some places even have lots of broken pottery.
Go to Top of Page

Joey
True Blue Farmgirl

1868 Posts

Joey
Gulf Coast FL
USA
1868 Posts

Posted - May 11 2011 :  9:19:07 PM  Show Profile
I used to be a travel RN. On one of my trips I met another travel RN and we became friendly. When I moved to Florida a year ago to be near my Dad she went to Alaska. She didn't even know I liked it but she sent me alot of sea glass from the Baltic Sea. Lots of colors..it is so beautiful. I was so blessed by her impulsive gift. I have most of it in a vase but I did make some pieces into jewelry. Since then I've bought a book on sea glass. I just love the colors. The art work you gals have shown using sea glass is SO nice. No, I haven't found any here in Florida either-yet. We are 8 blocks from the beach and my Dh has a metal detector to hunt for treasures, so we are there often. I'll keep looking. Joey

Well behaved women rarely make history.
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Sea Glass, Lake Glass Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page