smiley
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

lea
pea ridge arkansas
USA
650 Posts

Posted - May 08 2011 :  8:23:39 PM  Show Profile
If they hold $100 for 3 days does that mean they draw interest on your money? Think how many people they do that too that could really add up to some change.
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - May 08 2011 :  9:05:20 PM  Show Profile
Smiley right there I think is what it is totally! I've thought that for a long time. Cause there is no other advantage to doing that. I think it's all about the "interest" they are collecting on it with out a doubt!

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 08 2011 :  10:03:28 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Smiley- Technically the money hasn't left the bank account so you still get the same amount of interest paid by your bank and the gas stations do not earn the interest. I work for a bank so I see these charges all the time. Basically what happens is the as soon as you swipe your card, the company "tests" your bank account for a preset amount. It can be as little as a dollar or as mucha s $125. This is completely up to the merchant and or the card service agreement that the merchant has with Visa or Mastercard. On the bank's end- they only know that the account has been "tested" or "authorized" for a certain amount. Because debit cards are guarenteed funds, the bank puts a temporary hold on those funds (that by federal regulation must expire in 3 business days) or until a matching debit comes through- whichever is first. Ideally- the merchant should be processing the payment immediatly though a continous batch process. However this is slightly more expensive for them so many merchants hold onto their batches until they have reached a large amount to process all at once to save on processing fees.

So basically it all boils down to until that money is actually fully requested by the merchant- the bank only can operate on that intial "test" run that the merchant pinged the account for. If I notice a gas station putting large holds on my funds- I boycott the station. I only gas up at locations that either continous batch so all I see on my card is the actual purchase- or the ones that only test for one dollar. I think the best way to let service stations know that this is unacceptable is to let the manager know and then not give them any more business. It a decision that is made per merchant- so if it is a large chain they might be able to control it at a local level- but usually there are many card service options available that don't require the huge holds.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 09 2011 :  04:21:15 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Alee. I am still a little confused as to why they do it. But this has helped alot. I think I will just ask at the stations I go to the most and see what their policy is. And it may be that deibt is better over the credit or the other way around. I will see next time.

And if I get gas once a week at $75. each time, I am spending $300. a month. Wow. I need a smaller car. Or a horse. My DD went to Atlanta yesterday and she said gas is $4.09 there. When I filled up the other day it was $3.68. So it's coming. And then it will be over $80. to fill up. I told her I'll need to find a job just to buy gas but then I couldn't afford to work for paying for gas. I will just stay home more. (I do "work", if taking care of a wonderful lady a few days a week is work. But she's 20 miles a way.)

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - May 10 2011 :  03:46:05 AM  Show Profile
I think if you press the credit key instead of the debit it won't take it out, but I could be wrong
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 10 2011 :  12:00:53 PM  Show Profile
I have always done the credit key. Always. Never the debit because then I have to remember the number. So I have always done credit.

I had to go all the way to Chickamauga today to hunt no ethinol gas for my mower and a friend's tiller I am going to borrow. And it was $3.77 a gallon. I went inside and told them I had gas cans to fill up. Then went back in to pay. I asked if they do this and she said no. She had never heard of it either. So I guess it is only certain gas stations. It's still not right for them to have control over my account.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic I Am SO Upset (And Mad, too) Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page