LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - May 01 2011 :  3:01:27 PM  Show Profile
So we went ahead and splurged and bought electric netting for the chickens, and then electric netting for the dogs.
Finally have it all set up. I didn't realize that we had bought so much but the chickens won't need to be moved for QUITE a while, and the dogs have, I think, at least an acre to roam in.
The chickens are happy. Every once in a while I hear "Bhaaakkkk" and everyone goes running for the coop with Mr. Roo sounding his alarm call. Not to worry, one of the girls just touched the fence. Within minutes they are all back out again!
With the 2 dogs(golden retrievers), it was not 10 minutes after we turned on the charger that we heard a huge yelp and Bonnie came running for the door. She kept looking behind her to see if "it" had chased her, while Bear kept giving her kisses to make her feel better. She now knows her boundaries. Bear, on the other hand, is scared of the fence itself, so I think it will be an accident if he touches it. I am afraid if he does I may not get him out for a long time, as he is afraid of his own shadow!
Interesting note- hubby turned the fence on then tested it, working fine. I went out and just had to touch it. I worry about my babies getting hurt and wanted to see how strong the shock would be. Nothing. Even wrapped my fingers around the wire. Not a thing. It was shortly after this that Bonnie got shocked, so we know it's working, not sure why I can't feel it!

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

"If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call 'failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down. "~ Mary Pickford

http://theviewfromhere-brenda.blogspot.com/

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - May 01 2011 :  3:14:44 PM  Show Profile
Brenda, I've only seen pics of the fence and really think I want to get it for the chickens. I have a question for you. Do you think it is possible for a chicken to get stuck in the fence? I worry one could get a wing or foot stuck and get tortured to death. I've never had one get stuck in any other fence so I don't know why I'm so worried about this but it is the only reason I haven't ordered it yet!
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - May 03 2011 :  03:06:36 AM  Show Profile
Hi Connie,
Yes, it is possible, I have heard. But the instructions say to supervise closely for a few days, so that they will all get to know what it is, and how it works. I know with my girls, it took them just a couple of days to figure out to stay away from it and they were fine. Unless they were forced up against it for some reason I don't see how they could get stuck.
I have been walking the fence line every morning before letting them out to fix sags, or leaning poles etc. that helps too. I must say though that the fence is pretty stable. With all the high winds and torrential downpours we've had lately, it still stays standing!

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

"If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call 'failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down. "~ Mary Pickford

Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 03 2011 :  07:21:29 AM  Show Profile
brenda, how much fencing did you buy for your chickens to have? did you get it at premier fence? i would like to have it for our girls. we take them to pasture this week. i have a solar charger for it. glad to hear your happy with it. happy days here sun is out sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - May 03 2011 :  5:08:16 PM  Show Profile
Sherrye, we have 2 164' fences (328' total) for 24 hens and 1 rooster. Hubby bought another one too, but we really don't need it. This gives them a huge area, and in the month they've been in it, they really have not worn it out. Still long grass. When we first put them out they dug holes every where, but now that they are used to it, they don't.
We bought the first fence from Premier, then bought the rest from Kencove, because it was such a price difference. I like both, but I think that Premier's fence poles are sturdier. I do like Kencove's charger better, because it has different settings.
I wanted a solar charger, but hubby didn't want to spend the extra money for that.
Let me know if you have any more questions, or decide to get it.

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - May 03 2011 :  5:32:07 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the info Brenda. Looks like i'll be orderingI
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 04 2011 :  7:26:55 PM  Show Profile
thanks brenda, i am going to check kencove too. i appreciate your help/ sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - May 10 2011 :  03:52:17 AM  Show Profile
If you went ultra fancy, I believe the amount of "juice" can be tweaked.

So it can be put on a low charge at first to let critters get used to it anf then up it gradually.

I believe these are also on a pulse, so anything that does get juiced can get itself free.

We have thought about getting these for quite a while. I also get the Kencove mailer. They really work!
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 10 2011 :  06:45:48 AM  Show Profile
i see the kencove is a lot cheaper i wonder if it is still a good fence? i think i will try it still. the practice chickens go to pasture today with the chicken tractor. we want to see how it works before i take my girls over. happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - May 11 2011 :  03:42:09 AM  Show Profile
Our neighbor used one of these fences, and the only thihng I really didn't like were the plactic stobs/poles that over time would start to bend.

The only reason I can't commit is that I want 2 units to make an ultra big pen and just don't have the cash for that right now.
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Electric netting! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page