Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic An open canvas! Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

136 Posts

donna
honesdale pa
136 Posts

Posted - May 01 2011 :  06:03:23 AM  Show Profile
Hello Ladies! I KNOW I will get some good ideas here. Though I would post a pic or 2 of our little house here in NE PA---where we are still getting frost at night and today it is a rather chilly morning at 43 degrees :0)
So, we have lived in our "needs updating" home for about 4 years. We wanted to live it in for a while to get to KNOW the house before we did anything major to it---not that we could afford that anyway, but we do one project at a time and so far, so good.

This spring we tackled our yard which is small---about 1/3 acre total. It has some very unlovely/overgrown trees that we have just removed. And sad to say, we had to put up a privacy fence as our one neighbor was not so neighborly and his pets roamed our yard---and saw fit to attack one of my kids...so here we are.

But this huge empty canvas of a yard needs so much attention I barely know where to begin!
We know we want a garden---small this year, maybe even just a container garden as I know the soil needs a lot of prepping!
We have a pool---one of those 4 foot pools that come down at the end of the year...not the "blow up" ones---but the ones with the frame. So that does take up the blue tarp area you see .
I have my 3 boys and we want some sort of hang out area for them and their friends---and a small fire pit...and...and see where I'm going! SO much to think and plan.
Well, any ideas???? The last pic is the view from our deck...

Ingrid
True Blue Farmgirl

432 Posts

Ingrid
BC
Canada
432 Posts

Posted - May 01 2011 :  08:34:42 AM  Show Profile
A blank canvas what a fabulous place to start. My suggestion would be to draw it out, not perfectly to square but will give you an idea how things fit. If your ground needs prep I would pick the spot for your garden and start the layered compost idea. Raised beds always work nicely and can be removed later if you want. One project at a time and you will see a wonderful yard take shape. Have fun and great gardening.

Give thanks to yourself everyday for all the wonderful things you do!
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - May 01 2011 :  09:39:32 AM  Show Profile
You could try lookin on craigslist and freecycle for people who have manure. I found a lovely large animal rescue that allows people to haul off the manure for free. We have done wonders for our garden with it since we had what the ag dept people called 'dead ground'. We couldn't even get dandilions to grow!

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - May 01 2011 :  5:33:14 PM  Show Profile
I would like to suggest a tree house for the boys. I does not need to be too far off the ground depending on their ages. There are some great books out now on how to build treehouses.

I put rosa rugosa along one side of our fence for the garden. They are pretty and in the fall have rose hips to make jelly which is high in vitamin C.

I have seen some people in Montpelier have raised beds that have permanent arched pipe over them for remay I would guess so they can start their gardens early and still have produce after the frosts. If you did raised beds you could control where the manure went in stead of it spreading out across the yard.
I have also seen at one house a chalet of sorts for chickens. the top of the peak is a nesting box and the bottom is open so they can get to the grass. It is small enough so two people can move it.

If your boys are little you will need a sand box of some sort or a dirt pile. They could help you spread out the dirt with their trucks.
That is all I can think of for now.

Holly

Go to Top of Page

KathyC
True Blue Farmgirl

583 Posts

Kathy
Gastonia NC
USA
583 Posts

Posted - May 02 2011 :  11:57:08 AM  Show Profile
You might look here for some fun and very inexpensive ideas http://www.shelterness.com/ like walkway from wood slices (I'm gonna do this one for sure), patio heater from an old washing machine tub, pallet furniture for the patio, planters from old tires, shadow boxes for the fence and lots more. Most of these things can be had for free if you look around.

Have fun.

Kathy
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

136 Posts

donna
honesdale pa
136 Posts

Posted - May 02 2011 :  1:29:46 PM  Show Profile
My boys are big--I guess :0(...I mean they are big to me at 12,13,16---they all have summer birthdays so up them one year soon enough!

A tree house would still be a nice thing---though I think it would be more like a club house since we do not have any trees in which to put a house :0).

I would like to have a small garden this year but will def be utilizing some sort of raised bed to prep the soil for next year. Something small about 8x10 is all. We have a horse owner down the road and I am sure I can get some manure from them :0).

I am looking into some flowering bushes for the back of the property. Not Forsythia because they get so over grown. What about azaleas...I see the purple and pink variety around here so I assume they do well!
Go to Top of Page

BalancingAct
True Blue Farmgirl

297 Posts

Jackie
Hoosierville
USA
297 Posts

Posted - May 02 2011 :  5:59:45 PM  Show Profile
Too bad you don't live closer to Indiana. I have some wonderful compost for your garden.

Farmgirl Sister #2851 -"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

136 Posts

donna
honesdale pa
136 Posts

Posted - May 03 2011 :  04:44:06 AM  Show Profile
Aw, thanks so much...I don;t think I could afford the gas for a trip out there though :0).Such giving people on Farmgirl!
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - May 03 2011 :  08:15:56 AM  Show Profile
What about some scrap wood for a bench? Or a few cheap patio chairs (freecycle, cheapcycle, craigslist, goodwill) around a firepit?

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic An open canvas! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page