OwnSelf
Farmgirl at Heart

5 Posts

Sarah
Plainfield IL
USA
5 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2011 :  10:02:55 AM  Show Profile
Well, I don't have a barn. And since I am pretty firmly planted in suburbia, I probably never will. But a girl can dream!

We do have a shed in the back yard. After taking me on a driving tour of barn quilts in our area, my DH offered to cut plywood and prime it for me so I could paint my own quilt patch. The shed is on the edge of our garden so it has a bit of a farm feel to it (ok, not really, but it's all I've got!)

As soon as we get a break in the spring rain, I am going to get this done. I just wish I could decide what block to do!

Has anyone else made a barn quilt, or perhaps a shed quilt if that's all you've got?

Sarah

Let go or be dragged

embchicken
True Blue Farmgirl

1487 Posts

Elaine
Ocean NJ
USA
1487 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2011 :  12:30:58 PM  Show Profile
Sarah~ I have a shed in my backyard that needs some (read:alot) of beautifying. You have just given me a great idea. Please take a picture of our finished work - I would love to see it!

~ Elaine
"Be the change you wish to see in the world." - Gandhi

Farmgirl sister #2822
http://embchicken.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Heartbroken farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Annette
rio vista Ca
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2011 :  5:00:17 PM  Show Profile  Send Heartbroken farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Sarah, what a great idea!!! My poor shed sits to the side of my garden as well. It is your farm!! How sweet of your DH to offer to get it ready for you! I think I'll just happen to read this post aloud and see if my DH gets a hint, if not I'll be plywooding, priming, and using your fabulous idea. Make sure you post pics so we can share in your suburban farm beautification!! (&hearts)

The tears I shed then, watered the flowers I harvest now.

www.broken908.blogspot.com
http://forums.familyfriendpoems.com/broken908

"The aim of education is the knowledge not of facts but of values."-Dean William Ralph Inge
Go to Top of Page

laurentany
True Blue Farmgirl

3259 Posts

Laurie
Patchogue NY
USA
3259 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2011 :  7:38:15 PM  Show Profile
Wow Sarah-
What a Fabulous idea...so you see- not only will you be beautifying your little piece of paradise- but now your great idea will help others across suburbia. Just like a smile- its contagious!
Thank you!

~Laurie
"Little Hen House on the Island"
Farmgirl Sister#1403

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2011 :  11:22:44 PM  Show Profile
What a great idea. MB

http://www.smallcityscenes.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com

"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

HollyHobby
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

Holly
Astoria NY
USA
78 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2011 :  05:06:32 AM  Show Profile
Wow, I learn something new here every day! Thank you Sarah, I think a little quilt block would look great on my cottage shed too! I would love to see how all of yours turn out, please post pics when you're done!

Farmgirl Sister #2942
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things. ~ Robert Brault
Go to Top of Page

beekeepersgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1423 Posts

Luanne
Cresco PA
USA
1423 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2011 :  07:19:53 AM  Show Profile
Neat idea! My first thought for a quilt pattern, of course, was "Hole in the Barn Door", but any pattern would be great!

Luanne

beekeepersgirl #691

Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2011 :  12:59:54 PM  Show Profile
Hole in the Barn door is a great pattern and if you don't have a barn or shed paint it as a sign and put it in your yard or on your garage or playhouse. If we can't be on a "real" farm then make up your own. Great Idea farmgirls. Thanks Sarah

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

Breanna
True Blue Farmgirl

208 Posts

Breanna
Parker Colorado
USA
208 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2011 :  2:41:18 PM  Show Profile
Great idea! We are building a barn right now and I am hoping to do a barn quilt...we'll see what happens :-). Please post pics when you've done your quilt, I would love to see it! Blessings!

Farmgirl Bre
"...that my glory may sing praise to you and not be silent, O Lord my God, I will give thanks to You forever." Psalm 30:12
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2011 :  2:52:47 PM  Show Profile
I'm smiling so big reading this! I see quilt blocks in beautiful colors dotted all over from coast to coast. We should do a map with a click the dot feature to see a picture of farmgirl barn quilts.

Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

BalancingAct
True Blue Farmgirl

297 Posts

Jackie
Hoosierville
USA
297 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2011 :  6:09:35 PM  Show Profile
I'm needing to repaint my garden shed as well. These are great ideas! Can't wait to see pictures. Please post pictures!

Farmgirl Sister #2851 -"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

LeslieAnne
True Blue Farmgirl

71 Posts

LeslieAnne
Shallowater Texas
USA
71 Posts

Posted - May 01 2011 :  11:49:38 AM  Show Profile
What a wonderful idea!.. I just might do one of those myself... since I live in west Texas, I'll need to come up with a more Southwest-style quilt pattern... thanks for giving me something to start thinking about!..

LeslieAnne...westTexas
Go to Top of Page

craftystranger
True Blue Farmgirl

525 Posts

Barbara
Franklin NC
USA
525 Posts

Posted - May 03 2011 :  1:18:59 PM  Show Profile
My dad lives in a part of Tenn that has blocks on their barns. I love seeing all the patterns. Love the idea for a shed. My HOA does not allow sheds but I do have a wooden fence......are you thinking what I'm thinking? This sounds like a fall project for me!! Thanks for a great idea, Barbara

Don't forget to laugh!
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - May 06 2011 :  12:15:18 PM  Show Profile
We have barn quilts all over Kentucky. I can't wait to see yours!

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4737 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4737 Posts

Posted - May 07 2011 :  06:52:01 AM  Show Profile
I live close by you Sarah. I can't wait to see your barn quilt too!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

LeslieAnne
True Blue Farmgirl

71 Posts

LeslieAnne
Shallowater Texas
USA
71 Posts

Posted - May 26 2011 :  09:43:36 AM  Show Profile
Sarah, have you got your shed quilt done yet... pictures, please!!!..

I'm planning to do one with a desert/southwest look... as soon as I get it done, I'll post a pic... won't get to keep it, I've already promised it to a friend in South Carolina who used to live in Texas... but once I do it, I'll have the pattern & will be able to do another one for myself...

LeslieAnne...high desert of westTexas
Go to Top of Page

mickib
True Blue Farmgirl

267 Posts

Michele
Coeur d'Alene Idaho
267 Posts

Posted - May 26 2011 :  5:17:36 PM  Show Profile
Sarah, I love your idea and intend to put one on my shed this summer. I haven't decided on a design yet. I've been looking at barn quilt websites for ideas. We don't seem to have many of them around here. Will post a pic once I get it done. Looking forward to seeing yours.
Go to Top of Page

Tammyb
True Blue Farmgirl

511 Posts

Tammy
Bluffton Ohio
USA
511 Posts

Posted - May 26 2011 :  5:36:50 PM  Show Profile
What a great idea!
Now my mind is rolling :)
Tammyb
sisterchick #541

Live to leave a legacy

Go to Top of Page

StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - May 27 2011 :  07:31:16 AM  Show Profile
I think choosing the block pattern will be the biggest challenge!!

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090
A Beehive is the ultimate Home Sweet Home
Go to Top of Page

owwlady
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Jan
Tomahawk WI
USA
899 Posts

Posted - May 30 2011 :  4:21:24 PM  Show Profile
Great idea. Please post a picture when it's done. That would be a great idea for the side of my garage.
Go to Top of Page

mndreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

191 Posts

Vicky
Popple Creek MN
USA
191 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2011 :  6:32:31 PM  Show Profile
Just the thing to make our huge metal shed tolerable. I googled barn quilt images and OMG! the hardest thing will definitely be deciding on a pattern... there are so many gorgeous ones with unending color possibilities. Would it look "too much" with one on each side? LOL

~Vicky~

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God. ~~Ronald Reagan

Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2011 :  7:16:25 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by mickib

Sarah, I love your idea and intend to put one on my shed this summer. I haven't decided on a design yet. I've been looking at barn quilt websites for ideas. We don't seem to have many of them around here. Will post a pic once I get it done. Looking forward to seeing yours.

Michelle-visit
www.osceolaquilttrail.wordpress.com

it's a local group-awesome barnquilts!when you look at it- i live in leroy and work in tustin so i get to see them often!

still waitin for farmgirl pics!!!!!!!!!

Farmgirl # 2139
~*~ counting my pennies and biding my time; my dreams are adding up!~*~
Go to Top of Page

embchicken
True Blue Farmgirl

1487 Posts

Elaine
Ocean NJ
USA
1487 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2011 :  05:32:28 AM  Show Profile
Oh Ladies~ plese post pictures when you are done. These are going to be beautiful!

~ Elaine
Farmgirl sister #2822

"Find yourself a cup of tea; the teapot is behind you. Now tell me about hundreds of things." ~Saki

http://embchicken.blogspot.com

http://gusandtrudy.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

brenda j powers
Farmgirl at Heart

5 Posts

brenda
LAWRENCEBURG IN
USA
5 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2011 :  5:51:44 PM  Show Profile
I have made three barn quilts the one that I like the most is a 8 by 8 on hanging on the end of my old barn. It is a ohio star the other two are just 4 by 4 ft, one is the bear paw and the other is a log cabin. I have another ready to go when I have time. I found that the brighter the colors the prettier they are even if not close up they will look good from a distant. the bear paw was the easiest. It took my whole family and a hay wagon and two ladders to get the big one up but I smile every time I come up the road and see it.
Go to Top of Page

Turtlemoon
Farmgirl Legend Schoolmarm

378 Posts

Tanya
Port Orchard Washington
USA
378 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2011 :  7:40:43 PM  Show Profile
I am so making one of these for my shed/barn! Why i haven't thought of it before... duh! Going to get the wood cut tomorrow, gotta check the wood stash!

Raggedy Ann stuck in a Barbie Doll World

FarmGirl#1737

http://www.etsy.com/shop/moonhonu
Go to Top of Page

LeslieAnne
True Blue Farmgirl

71 Posts

LeslieAnne
Shallowater Texas
USA
71 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2011 :  06:21:24 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by brenda j powers

I have made three barn quilts the one that I like the most is a 8 by 8 on hanging on the end of my old barn. It is a ohio star the other two are just 4 by 4 ft, one is the bear paw and the other is a log cabin. I have another ready to go when I have time. I found that the brighter the colors the prettier they are even if not close up they will look good from a distant. the bear paw was the easiest. It took my whole family and a hay wagon and two ladders to get the big one up but I smile every time I come up the road and see it.

Brenda, I'm sure I speak for everybody, we'd love to see pictures of your barn quilts!.. they all sound lovely...

LeslieAnne...high desert of westTexas
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic My Shed Quilt Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page