Cindy Lou
True Blue Farmgirl

2325 Posts

Susan
Lonsdale MN
USA
2325 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2011 :  6:51:42 PM  Show Profile
Any cute/unique ideas for a baby shower? The baby-to-be is a boy. There will be about 10 people coming and were having a salad type supper meal with it.

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"
Mary Oliver

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2011 :  8:53:54 PM  Show Profile
Hi Susan! For games, I have a couple of ideas. This one is gross, but what you do is melt different chocolate bars in a diaper, and then guess what the candy is! Another one is to give a clothespin, and when you cross your legs, whoever sees you takes your clothespin. The idea is to get the most clothespins. Hope this helps!
God's and Farmgirl's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.

The dictionary is the only place where success comes before work.
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2011 :  9:37:12 PM  Show Profile
I just bought the dollar tree book of games, and just made copies on my printer at home for every one, and I just chose like 4 games to play out of it (only had time to really play like 2 though) and every one really seemed to like playing them.

I also gave out little thank you boxes of candy, (favors) and I was having a pretty mixed large group at mine, with a lot of people who didn't speak english very well (and I speak no african languages! lol) so I wanted a few games that people could win easily! So I was trying to figure out a door prize like thing to do with the favor boxes, and my husband came up with putting mini baby ruths in the "winning" favor box. (get it "baby" ruths) that game went over pretty good. and gave every one a fair chance of winning. Another "door" prize we played was when every one came in I had them address blank envelopes (for the thank you cards I would later need to send out!) and then I drew a few of those out of a box and those were winners too.

One thing though, is I never like the baby shower games were all the prizes go to the mom (what's the point of winning, why not just give the prizes to the mom with out the games?) so all the prizes for my baby shower were for the winners. I went to Michael's dollar section of the store and got nice things-magnetic picture frames, blank cards-pretty pictures on the front, address books, note pads, etc. All that one dollar stuff Michael's always has. I got a bunch of it, and only bought things I would want as a prize, no junk I wouldn't of wanted. They even had some really hilarious blank cards! I got all of them they had. lol haha Any way, I put all the prizes in a basket and let the winners as they won pick out which they wanted. So that went over pretty well too.

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

HollyG
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

Holly
Hamburg Arkansas
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2011 :  08:12:17 AM  Show Profile  Click to see HollyG's MSN Messenger address
I went to one shower where inexpensive packages of white onesies were purchased and the guests were able to use fabric paint and paint pens to draw something cute for the baby. It could have been a written word, the baby's name, or an animal, etc. The mom ended up with some darling personalized onesies that are much cheaper than purchasing the "fancy" store-bought ones. It also gave the guest something to do rather than sit around and stare at the mom. Everyone love it.

HollyG
Farmgirl #2513
www.mydeepwoodslife.com
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2011 :  08:27:34 AM  Show Profile
I love Holly's idea! I'm not much of a game player, so I don't have any suggestions there, but my mother in laws gave me a scapbook/babybook for a gift and had loose scrapbook pages where all the guests wrote advice about being a mother that I included later. It was wonderful, and I look back on that a lot. You could also do it in a blank journal for the mother to read--another shower that was thrown for us as a couple, did that. Such amazing words from dear friends.

Petit fours instead of cake, or cupcakes is a fresh idea, and you can decorate them so easily with a theme.

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2011 :  10:30:48 PM  Show Profile
My sister loved doing what Holly suggested!

And Jonnie that reminds me I also bought a picture frame matting from Party City or something like that for a baby shower for all the guest to sign and put a message on, some of the messages were awesome!. I really liked that a lot too. Then I put a pic of the baby in it, and that will go in her room when she gets one. However if you do that, have your mom, sister, some one who understands what you want on that start out with it first, and a few others who understands what you want, other wise at mine a lot of guest didn't understand it at first and only put their names, then got upset later when they found out they were supposed to put a message too even though I specifically told them to put a message too, but later when they read it they were like we didn't know. However, after about 3 or 4 guests was only putting their names on it and in neat little rows! (I wanted them to randomly put messages/sign on it! lol) I went and got my mom and sister and told them to write a message on it real quick and sign it so people got the idea! lol And that helped a lot!

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com

Edited by - MagnoliaWhisper on Apr 28 2011 10:32:43 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Holidays: Previous Topic baby shower Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page