Dorinda
True Blue Farmgirl

1023 Posts

Dorinda
St. Cloud Florida
USA
1023 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2011 :  06:42:04 AM  Show Profile
My chicken coop is already getting flies. What can I use to keep the flies under control that will not harm my chickens? Should I sprinkle some seven dust around the out side of cage? Thats what someone told me to do. I do not want to make my chickens sick.

Seize The Day!
Dorinda

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2011 :  10:22:12 AM  Show Profile
We use fly traps near the horse stalls to keep flies down. The traps are a bag filled with fly "bait" inside, and you add water to make the trap smell like something decaying-- then they crawl inside the bag and drown in the water since they can't crawl back out. You tie a string to the traps to hang them up, and we buy them at Lowes, seems like it would be pretty safe in the coop to me!

After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

Dorinda
True Blue Farmgirl

1023 Posts

Dorinda
St. Cloud Florida
USA
1023 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2011 :  7:34:25 PM  Show Profile
Thank You so much Jennifer I did not even think about fly traps. I will be going tomorrow to get some!

Seize The Day!
Dorinda
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2011 :  9:43:18 PM  Show Profile
Glad to help! I only discovered them myself a couple summers ago.

After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2011 :  09:13:22 AM  Show Profile
You should be able to get "fly Predators" at any feed type stores, they are an insect that kill and eat flys in all stages of life, nothing to ever buy again, they will multiply on their own and pretty much keep you fly free no matter where you live, or how much livestock you have...
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2011 :  4:02:59 PM  Show Profile
i love the fly predators. they work well for us. i also use de. happy days sherye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2011 :  5:15:56 PM  Show Profile
I use those also & like them plus I use the tape one in the upper corners of the coop also...we too get tons of flies & between those 2 things I do pretty well at keeping the fly population down in there....I also make sure the chickens get more DE earth mixed in with their feed so if they do eat some of the flies they aren't getting nasty bugs inside them or in their eggs.....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Flies in Chicken coop. Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page