Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic shipping cookies. Please help! Next Topic  

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2011 :  8:45:54 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
I would really like to send my friend some homemade cookies but she lives in WY and I live in WA. Do you think the cookies will last if I make them the same day I mail them? The post office said it would take 3 days to get there.
hugs,
Hannah

Farmgirl sister #1219!

"Lifes not about the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away."

edlund33
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Marilyn
Renton WA
USA
1497 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2011 :  9:06:06 PM  Show Profile
I send cookies to my brother in VT all the time which usually takes 4-6 days. Make sure to wrap them very well - use saran wrap or waxed paper and tuck them inside a ziplock bag or plastic container with a tight fitting lid. Then pad the box well so they don't rattle around. Be sure the cookies are totally cool when you wrap them and choose a firm variety like snickerdoodles or peanut butter that will withstand the trip. Soft or moist cookies don't travel very well. They will arrive safe and sound and your friend will be happy!

Cheers! ~ Marilyn

Farm Girl No. 1100

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2011 :  9:10:54 PM  Show Profile
Some cookies are better keepers than others. Some also hold up better than others. ( I'm sure a box of crumbs would still taste good!) I would avoid shortbread type cookies. The butter content could cause them to go rancid if they got to warm. There are lots of web sites that have good mailing recipes.
My mom used to mail oatmeal cookies to my dad when he was in Vietnam. They travel well. And are better when they are a few days old!
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2011 :  9:41:16 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
I was thinking chocholate chip and oatmeal?! What ya think?
Hugs,
Hannah

Farmgirl sister #1219!

"Lifes not about the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away."

Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2011 :  9:46:12 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
I was going to make Vegan chocolate chip cookies because her son is lactose intolerant. Would they still last ok?
Hugs,
Hannah

Farmgirl sister #1219!

Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2011 :  03:43:22 AM  Show Profile
here's how I did it for months and months:

put them in a single layer on cardboard, tuck in a piece of a slice of white bread. Wrap in saran, then put on another piece of cardboard, more cookies, more bread, wrap in saran...until they're all wrapped and have a piece of bread in with them. The cookies pull the moisture from the bread so they stay moist. Wrap the whole thing in foil then put newspaper and whatnot around it in the box. :) Your cookies will stay super moist!

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2011 :  06:22:04 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hannah- as long as they are sealed in either a container or a baggie- you should be fine. Just pad them well so there will be minimum breakage. Try to get the container as air tight as possible or use a seal-a-meal if you have one. People send baked goods to soldiers overseas so I am pretty sure they will still be great! I bet the cookies will pass through Billings on their way to Wyoming...

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

JojoNH
True Blue Farmgirl

1984 Posts

Joanna
Dunbarton New Hampshire
USA
1984 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2011 :  12:12:10 PM  Show Profile
When ever I have shipped cookies, I use a cookie tin (recycled of course!)place bubble wrap on the bottom, put in the paper cups for making cupcakes and place cookies into the paper cups then more bubble wrap. Tape around the lid of the cookie tin leaving a one inch piece of tape sticking out. Place a piece of paper on this to give them something to hold onto in order to "un-tape" the tin. Works great and arrives in good shape. ( I usually get the tin mailed back with a note asking for refills )

Joanna #566

JojoNH
www.countrycents.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/CountryCents
http://CountryCents.Blogspot.com
www.JoannasHomeStudio.com "Keeping traditions alive a stitch at a time"
http://twitter.com/NHJoanna
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2011 :  12:29:35 PM  Show Profile
I like to ship my cookies in a small box that will allow me to put them in a row, standing on edge like they are when you buy them in a bag commercially. That way, there is less stress on the center of the cookie and less breakage. I wrap that box in Syran Wrap and then a cut up paper bag and float that in popcorn in a larger box. Those cookies never break! And they are fresh tasting.

Mary Beth

www.OklahomaPastryCloth.com
www.Oklahomapastrycloth.com/blog
The Sovereign Lord is my strength - Habakkuk 3:19
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2011 :  2:52:30 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Thank you all so much! You all have been a big help!
Hugs,
Hannah

Farmgirl sister #1219!

Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic shipping cookies. Please help! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page