Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Parenting & Farm Kids
 Cloth diapers while travelling?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Cloth diapers while travelling? Next Topic  

cmandle
True Blue Farmgirl

846 Posts

Catherine
Minneapolis MN
846 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2006 :  09:09:35 AM  Show Profile
I'll be travelling to my in-laws' house for a family wedding in a month and keep going back and forth about bringing the cloth diapers. On the one hand, we'll be there for 10 days and they have laundry in the house, so it seems like a no-brainer. On the other hand, we'll be guests in the house along with about 10 other family members from Europe, will have a lot of last minute wedding stuff to do here and there and it may be rather cumbersome to have to deal with the diapers.

We bring cloth when we go to cabins and travelling on our own, just not sure about when visiting other people's homes. I'm pretty sure that my mother-in-law wouldn't mind (suppose I should ask her!!) and we'd of course do our own laundry...but I'm wondering if disposables would just make more sense? Given that we're flying and would have to bring out all of those diapers to begin with?

What have you all done?

Catherine

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2006 :  09:21:59 AM  Show Profile
I have always brought the cloth. It doesnt have to be a big deal, you just mayhave to do things a little differently, like maybe wash each one by hand immediately...as you won't be able to have a bucket or anything I am sure, unless its okay with her. I don't see any big deal in continuing to do cloth while away. We are going away for just over a week at the beginning of August and I still will do cloth. I dont resign to do disposable just for the convenience sake. Plus they are stinkier than cloth. Ew.

"I would not interfere with any creed of yours or want to appear that I have all the cures. There is so much to know...so many things are true. The way my feet must go may not be best for you. And so I give this spark of what is light to me, to guide you through the dark, but not tell you
what you must see."
-Author Unknown

"Contradiction is not a sign of falsity, nor the lack of contradiction a sign of truth."
— Blaise Pascal

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose
Go to Top of Page

earthcore
Farmgirl in Training

19 Posts

Kate
Ohio
USA
19 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2006 :  11:54:47 AM  Show Profile
We always take ours when we travel. But we've never traveled by plane. I'd say go for it! If it causes a problem once you get there, you can always go buy sposies.
Go to Top of Page

UrbanChick
True Blue Farmgirl

331 Posts

Ayako
Atlanta GA
USA
331 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2006 :  1:59:07 PM  Show Profile
I've taken cloth on an airplane. Not a bad expirence. My sister was kind of put off by using her washing machine so I used a coin op down the street from her instead. That way I'm not inconviencing her. Some people are just weird about cloth diapers in the wash. It wasn't bad and I just used an extra large zip lock bag..you know like big enough for storage. I used two...one for dirty and then put that dirty bag into the other one so there was no smell till I had enough for a small load.

"Courage dosen't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying: I will try again tomorrow."
Go to Top of Page

cmandle
True Blue Farmgirl

846 Posts

Catherine
Minneapolis MN
846 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2006 :  08:00:19 AM  Show Profile
Okay, good advice so far! But now I have another question: How gross is gross for other people? Ayako, you said that your sister was grossed out by doing the diapers in her washing machine (what a pain to have had to go to a laundromat when the washer was right there!), and Tasha you suggested just washing some of the diapers immediately by hand so as to avoid a stink or soak situation. (I agree that disposables smell WAY worse than cloth, by the way!!)

So...WHERE is it okay to wash diapers, in your own homes or others'? Since we're on to solid foods, the diapers are getting a bit more solid, so I am doing the toilet rinse thing. It's not as bad as I thought, but I also don't get grossed out by nearly anything. I can always wash my hands! (However, Tasha, I would LOVE to know more about your toilet sprayer-bidet thing!!)

But is there a health or hygiene problem with washing diapers in sinks or tubs? I've been under the impression that a sink is a tub is a sink...as good as the washing machine, but want to be respectful of my host's ideas and obviously...to leave the area super clean afterwards. What do you think?

Catherine
Go to Top of Page

katiedid
True Blue Farmgirl

601 Posts

Kate
West Jordan Utah
USA
601 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2006 :  3:08:08 PM  Show Profile
This is a tough one, some people are really sicked out by washing out a diaper in the sink.....I flop out the poop into the toto, then use a bar of fels naptha or ivory soap, and wash the diaper by hand in the sink... I just spent $300 on new fuzzi bunz and like them to be white on the inside! After I am done with the poopy diaper, I wash my hands really well, then spray the sink out with a vinegar/tea tree mix, let it sit a minute or two, then whipe it. THis kills any lingering germs.

I do this at my moms, and at some friends (the ones who also cloth diaper etc)

My husband and I recently went to Atlanta (from Salt Lake) we flew to phoenix, then to Atlanta... I bought the 7th gen. disposable diapers, but they bugged baby Emme (just turned 1) so I ended up using and handwashing the 5 fbs I packed...so glad I brought them!

So, a long message, for a quick answer....I would pack both disposables and cloth, and just go with the flow.
This way you can use the cloth if everyone is ok with it, but if things get hectic, you can use the disposables.

How old are your babies?
What diapers do you use?
love
Kate
Go to Top of Page

cmandle
True Blue Farmgirl

846 Posts

Catherine
Minneapolis MN
846 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2006 :  3:17:49 PM  Show Profile
I am pleased to report that my mother-in-law approves! She thought it was a silly idea to do wash while on vacation, but other than that, she doesn't care one bit. She even said that she'd go out and get a diaper pail for the bathroom (I told her any old bucket will do!) and not to worry for a minute what all of the other houseguests will think. Whew! I'm so relieved. I really didn't want to have to do disposables.

However, I do plan to have him in disposables for the flights. The poopies we're getting these days are NOT something I want to have to bring along with me in the diaper bag! Would much rather toss at the airport...

Kate, we just have one boy - almost 6 months old. His name is Jackson. We use prefolds with ProWraps and I love them. I tried Bummis too when he was small and I liked those too, but we can get ProWraps here in town (at a Co-op Natural Home Store) for a little less than online prices for either Bummis or ProWraps. We're a Co-op shopping family so we stick to Seventh Generation products for home usually, but I haven't tried their disposables yet. I've only used good old Pampers!

Thanks everyone, for the great tips and confidence boost! I'm MUCH more excited for this trip now!

Catherine
Go to Top of Page

katiedid
True Blue Farmgirl

601 Posts

Kate
West Jordan Utah
USA
601 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2006 :  4:31:37 PM  Show Profile
Catherine~
How nice for you to be able to buy cloth diapers and supplies at a store! No shipping! And you can see what you are buying.
I wish I had something like that around here!
Good luck on your trip,
enjoy yourself.
Kate
Go to Top of Page
  Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Cloth diapers while travelling? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page