Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 How long before baby rabbits come?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic How long before baby rabbits come? Next Topic  

Penny Dyke
True Blue Farmgirl

93 Posts

Penny
East Palestine Ohio
USA
93 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2011 :  06:36:48 AM  Show Profile
my flemish giant started pulling hair monday anybody know how long after it takes for her to have them? nver had babys rabbits before.
Penny

Sweet_Tea
True Blue Farmgirl

194 Posts

Tara
Newberry SC
USA
194 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2011 :  08:30:02 AM  Show Profile
*I* think It should be within the week. My rabbits pulled hair like 2-3 days before they had their babies.

Farmgirl Sister #2974
~ http://notsosweettea.blogspot.com/

"The air of heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears"
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2011 :  08:54:01 AM  Show Profile
I agree with Tara. One of our rabbits pulled hair a couple days before and the other started pulling hair a week before. Be ready for utter cuteness. When they are a couple weeks old and open their eyes and start hopping around!

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

Happy to be a "Raggedy Ann" in a Barbie World!

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White

Edited by - Fiddlehead Farm on Apr 21 2011 08:54:53 AM
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2011 :  09:06:30 AM  Show Profile
Penny, how fun! But do not touch them til they are a few weeks old. I made that mistake once. I have been thinking about getting some meat rabbits. But just thinking. I have cages and waterers and feeder. But I am just thinking. How do you like yours? Are they just pets or what?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

rksmith
True Blue Farmgirl

858 Posts

Rachel
Clayton GA
USA
858 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2011 :  2:08:35 PM  Show Profile
It should be within a week, when mine have pulled hair it was generally within 2 days. Hopefully all will go well, as Kristin said don't touch them for the first few weeks. IF mom decides to eat them or neglect them definitely don't breed her again (those go straight to the freezer).

Rachel
Farmgirl Sister #2753

Do not ask the Lord to guide your footsteps, if you are not willing to move your feet--Dr. Kioni

http://www.mynsp.com/rksmith
http://madame1313.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Penny Dyke
True Blue Farmgirl

93 Posts

Penny
East Palestine Ohio
USA
93 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2011 :  3:23:26 PM  Show Profile
Kris
I just love my rabbits, Cloe is the flemish giant that I just bought,she was bred when I bought her I have four other rabbits all rescues, two jersey woolies and two lion heads they are all just for fun I won't raise anything to eat as I'm a vegetarian.but I don't judge anyone else that does.I'm just so excited can't wait to see how many she has,I did know the part about not touching the babys that she might eat them or neglect them. I'll keep you ladys posted on what happens thank you for the info.
Penny
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2011 :  8:39:53 PM  Show Profile
well, it takes 28-31 days after breeding. so if you know when she was bred that helps. and I always touch mine right way and play with them and I have never had a rabbit neglect or harm them... JMHO It may depend on how much you touch mommy. If she is used to your smell...

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett
Beverley with an extra E...
https://sites.google.com/site/bevsdoggies/
http://bevsdoggies.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2011 :  08:46:02 AM  Show Profile
I too have always handled my new kits from birth, to check for any possible problems, then every 2-3 days to make sure they are developing properly. My does and bucks can all be handled at any time, they are brushed and have their nails trimed, teeth checked etc. If you are planning to continue to breed, get the doe used to this and she won't have a problem with you touching her kits...

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

rksmith
True Blue Farmgirl

858 Posts

Rachel
Clayton GA
USA
858 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2011 :  2:43:16 PM  Show Profile
That's interesting from you ladies about touching the kits at birth. I have always heard "never touch baby rabbits because the doe will eat them or kick them out of the nest" and then of course you "have" to eat her. Thinking about that though, we have never really petted or played with our rabbits (growing up anyway) because they were raised strictly for food or to sell so they probably wouldn't have taken too well to having the babies messed with. After the babies have gotten fur on them we got the "ok" to pet real quick but that was it. Hearing that all my life, it has never ever occurred to me to handle the doe to get her used to it and then work up to handling the babies after birth. WOW!

Rachel
Farmgirl Sister #2753

Do not ask the Lord to guide your footsteps, if you are not willing to move your feet--Dr. Kioni

http://www.mynsp.com/rksmith
http://madame1313.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Penny Dyke
True Blue Farmgirl

93 Posts

Penny
East Palestine Ohio
USA
93 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2011 :  05:34:31 AM  Show Profile
I have only had her for three weeks she was already bred when I bought her.she loves for me to handle and pet her.she is still pulling hair and no babys yet hopefully soon.
Penny
Go to Top of Page

Penny Dyke
True Blue Farmgirl

93 Posts

Penny
East Palestine Ohio
USA
93 Posts

Posted - May 14 2011 :  05:36:56 AM  Show Profile
Well I guess she must have had a false pregnacy she was pulling hair all along and no babys its been around 42 days since I brought her home and she was bred before I got her,I looked it up on line and it said they could go as long as 35 days but she is way past that,also it stated she could have aborted or absorbed them if she had any trama, well I bought her at an auction that could very well be trama.well I'll just need to find a buck and try again.
Go to Top of Page

homsteddinmom
True Blue Farmgirl

441 Posts

Brandee
bullard tx
USA
441 Posts

Posted - May 15 2011 :  04:26:15 AM  Show Profile  Send homsteddinmom a Yahoo! Message
Yes buying at an auction can be tramatizing for bred animals. I also know that Flemish Giants are hard to breed! Also they tend to not be good moms and will let there kits die. It didnt matter how many times my flems had kits i would have to foster them to other moms to survive! We handle the kits same day as they are born so we can check for dead ones. If dead ones are left and she doesnt clean up the smell will get to her and she wont take any of the babies!

Homesteading Mom in East Texas. Raising chickens, Rabbits and goats here on my farm!
Go to Top of Page

Penny Dyke
True Blue Farmgirl

93 Posts

Penny
East Palestine Ohio
USA
93 Posts

Posted - May 15 2011 :  05:41:12 AM  Show Profile
Hi Brandee
what was the amount of time your flemish took to have babys?I know she didn't eat her young I checked the nest everyday several times,I'm also wondering if they sent her to the auction because she cant have babys she is four what do you think?
Penny
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - May 15 2011 :  09:13:52 AM  Show Profile
Penny, over weight does have trouble conceiving and or maintainting a viable pregnacy, she was showing signs of impending birth, which could mean she re-absorbed the kits...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

oneacrefarm
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

4 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2011 :  7:48:55 PM  Show Profile
She may have been having a false pregnancy or she reabsorbed them. Some does don't "take" when they are moved around after being bred. I handle my babies as soon as they are born to check for dead ones, leftover placentas, etc. Leave those in the nestbox and it starts to get stinky really quick. Plus it is not healthy for the ones in the box. The doe won't neglect her kits because you touched them. I handle mine every single day, it gets them used to being handled and lets the doe know that you won't hurt her kits. Mine always hop into the nest after I check it, like they are saying "ok, is everybunny ok in here?" LOL

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
www.oneacrefarmrabbits.com
Go to Top of Page

homsteddinmom
True Blue Farmgirl

441 Posts

Brandee
bullard tx
USA
441 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2011 :  08:31:36 AM  Show Profile  Send homsteddinmom a Yahoo! Message
Sorry didnt check back on this, do you have any idea how old your doe is?? They arent supposed to be bred till over 1 year old, actually closer to 2 years on a flem. Mine would take 30-35 days and pull hair like crazy. They would have them and then leave them. i fostered all mine on new zealand whites.

Homesteading Mom in East Texas. Raising chickens, Rabbits and goats here on my farm!
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic How long before baby rabbits come? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page