knitnpickinatune
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Sherrie
Gardena California
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2011 :  09:14:36 AM  Show Profile
I've made a decision to quit my part time job at the college-for months now most the cashiers have been cut down to 2 days a month & once a week here & there,with about 3 busy times a year. My last check was $4.00 shy of covering my health insurance payment. (I pay for my own coverage) On top of that the whole atmosphere at work has changed and it just doesn't feel comfortable anymore.
In addition,I have seem to become the target of belittling from other supervisors/full time staff. My supervisor called me at home last week on my day off to give me my schedule and reprimand me as she now considers any comment I make to be a "crack". The comment I was being called on the carpet for was an open verbal comment that someone needed to order more ink/toner for the printer we use constantly. The printer is so low it stops printing entirely and it's been on & off for 3 weeks now. I told her I didn't know who orders the toner and I couldn't see how that could be taken as a crack. I was also told any funny comments were to be kept to myself period.
Yesterday I worked and went to one of my fave supers to get my bank & parking permits for the day. As she was looking over a sheet of figures,I stayed silent,knowing she could see me and that when she had finished she would see to my work needs. Another full time worker then blurted to me "why do you walk up to people and stay quiet??? You're rude" I explained that I was letting her finish what she was doing and that she could see me. While I got thru the rest of the shift ok,it took a bit of mental shifting & balancing to not let this ruin my work day. Other slaps in the face have been going on for months. The only praise I get is from students I wait on,who have repeatedly told me that "I'm the nicest & most helpful person in the office". All this and no pay raise for anyone going on 5 yrs now.
A co worker called last night & she's wondering if the bosses are doing all this on purpose to get us to quit. I feel much better making the decision to leave-working for peanuts,etc. certainly has played with my self esteem as far as "what I deserve" is concerned. Your thoughts & prayers in my self employed success would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.mandolinbabe.com

http://www.fiddlebelle.com
http://www.gigulele-bag.net (Zibbet Store)

@MandolinChick on Twitter
mando pickin,uke strummin, & fiddle sawin' Farmgirl #702

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2011 :  09:24:12 AM  Show Profile
Oh Sherrie. It must be really hard to walk into that environment and keep a smile on your face!! Most certainly prayers are with you for a blessed endeavor and peace in the doing. Good for you!

Mary Beth

www.OklahomaPastryCloth.com
www.Oklahomapastrycloth.com/blog
The Sovereign Lord is my strength - Habakkuk 3:19
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2011 :  09:32:06 AM  Show Profile
Sherrie, I'm so sorry you are dealin with that. I think you're right, self employment time! Farmgirl It Up!!

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

karla
True Blue Farmgirl

1308 Posts

karla
Pella Iowa
USA
1308 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2011 :  10:29:28 AM  Show Profile
I too was working at a place like that! I had migraines constantly! After I quit I haven't had very many at all! It is definitely worth it. When I was working at this place my BP was 174/ 120-now it is back to normal also-100/82. It does take some work to find something that will work to self employ yourself- I am trying to sell on Farm Made & will probably do the Farmers Market this year but it is worth it to have my health & sanity back! You will be in my thoughts & prayers.

Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

http://rua2j-grammysheirlooms.blogspot.com/
http://farmmade.com/index.php?option=com_ixxocart&Itemid=9&p=catalog&mode=vendor&parent=0&mid=0&search_in=all&search_str=&vid=88&pg=a
Go to Top of Page

Ingrid
True Blue Farmgirl

432 Posts

Ingrid
BC
Canada
432 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2011 :  10:30:28 AM  Show Profile
Making the decision quit is tough but not being appreciated and not getting hours makes it not worth staying. Being self employed is difficult, I am, but well worth it. The bonus is you don't have to commute to work and don't have to put up with cranky supervisors and staff. Good luck with your new adventure.

Give thanks to yourself everyday for all the wonderful things you do!
Go to Top of Page

embchicken
True Blue Farmgirl

1487 Posts

Elaine
Ocean NJ
USA
1487 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2011 :  10:59:54 AM  Show Profile
Sherrie~ What a horrible situation! Nothing is worth your sanity..nothing. Add to that you are not getting enough hours and the situation becomes intolerable! I think that you are very brave to strike out on your own. Keep us posted - you will be in my thoughts and prayers!

~ Elaine
"Be the change you wish to see in the world." - Gandhi

Farmgirl sister #2882
http://embchicken.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2011 :  11:26:57 AM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
Good for you Sherrie! I'm so sorry about all the awfulness going on at your job, but how wonderful you are embarking a new adventure. It can be tough but also rewarding in sooo many ways. Hang in there! You will do great at whatever it is you have planned. I am sure of it. Sending lots of hugs and prayers your way.

Melanie

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, She's up!"

Blog~ http://wheelsarealwaysturning.blogspot.com/ Etsy~http://www.etsy.com/shop/theflourishingfinch

Go to Top of Page

Lady Woodworker
True Blue Farmgirl

259 Posts

Karen
Chamberlain Maine
USA
259 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2011 :  4:06:42 PM  Show Profile
Sherrie I am praying for you.
I too work with a partially unpleasant crew and I understand what it's like
to work with uncharitable people who undermine your success.
How dare someone accuse you of being rude--when you were being the opposite!

There are healthy workplaces.
And there are many more dysfunctional workplaces that are entirely bearable.
You're smart to recognize the difference.
Good for you for moving on.
You inspire me.

Karen

Farmgirl Sister # 2419
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2011 :  4:31:34 PM  Show Profile
Good luck Sherrie! I am sending prayers and good thoughts your way!

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

Happy to be a "Raggedy Ann" in a Barbie World!

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3318 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3318 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2011 :  6:25:37 PM  Show Profile
Even with jobs in short supply, if it is "unhealthy" at work LEAVE. Who needs that kind of atmosphere?

At one particular job I put up with petty back stabbing, rude remarks and office politics to the point where I was afraid to leave the office to go to the bathroom knowing the second I stepped away they would begin whispering because I had seen it before with other co-workers. After putting up with the stupid mind games for two years I finally gave my notice. Best thing I ever did.

You will do JUST fine being self-employed. One word of advice though be consistent if you are working at home, set your daily goals and complete them just like you would if you had to drive to work, but you are going to love it and it will be well worth it.

Best of LUCK!

Melody
Farmgirl #525
Go to Top of Page

laurentany
True Blue Farmgirl

3259 Posts

Laurie
Patchogue NY
USA
3259 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2011 :  7:21:13 PM  Show Profile
Sherrie-
Good luck to you- obviously you are not happy where you are, and since the hours and pay are not there- then there is definately no question about it- you should leave! You will be better off, and I'm sure that you will find something better either out in the public work force or making ends meet on your own.
Thoughts and prayers sent your way!

~Laurie
"Little Hen House on the Island"
Farmgirl Sister#1403

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..
Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2011 :  05:34:58 AM  Show Profile
sherrie-sending hugs to you-been there done that ....take melodys words of consistency to heart...it is too easy to be distracted when workin from home---what are your plans????

i'm working part time and going to schoolfull time- i would love to not have to commute to work but havent the drive right now to start my own "biz'...have the know how just not the drive--am focusing on my schoolwork at ae of 57....

Farmgirl # 2139
~*~ counting my pennies and biding my time; my dreams are adding up!~*~
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3318 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3318 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2011 :  07:59:14 AM  Show Profile
Awesome Margo! Back to school at 57! So there is hope for me at 53??

I went back to school early in 2000 to complete a transcription certificate at our local university, and have been out of work now for 3 years. I would go back to school if I knew for a fact that I would get hired. No one seems to want to employ someone my age around here. Very frustrating...I feel like I am in limbo and too young to retire.

Melody
Go to Top of Page

knitnpickinatune
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Sherrie
Gardena California
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2011 :  08:01:23 AM  Show Profile
It's been a waking up process-and like some of you mentioned-with jobs being scarce & the media harping that fact all the time has been the only reason I've stayed so far-but working 2 days a month let me see the other side of things-like how wonderful it is to wake up and if the cat wants to have her "mornin lovies" I can give her all she needs,not to mention how much less stress I've been dealing with.
My plans now? I know that being self employed means you work your biz as tho you were somewhere else-and to a large degree I already do that-usually on the computer by 7:30AM at the latest to check orders & what needs to be shipped. Once items are packed (while I"m in my PJS....) I shower,and plan the day which will likely include making items to sell,writing up an ad,whatever needs to be done. I've converted my Etsy store into a fiddle accessory store,I have a store on Zibbet for uke gig bags,the eBay store for Mel Bay books,strings,rosin & so forth,and the Farm Made store as a combination of all mentioned above & will be including my hand knits there as well.
I'm ordering some inventory before I leave the college so I won't have to worry about that for awhile,and have placed an ad in Fiddler Magazine.

Karla-a fellow cashier is also quitting-she's in her 60's and has been there I think 10 years-and she has the same complaints as I do. Her BP was above normal even with the meds she has been taking-and since she made the decision to quit her BP is now normal and her headaches have stopped.
Lots of nit picking there too-no matter what window you choose to work at,one of the supers always comes in after you're all set up & makes you move to another for no reason. I feel it's a power play.
Crossing my fingers I can do this on my own & won't need $$ help later on...I don't want to lean on my Dad. Thank you for your thoughts & prayers. I'm going to be giving notice in the next 2-3 weeks. I feel like a door has opened & I'm about to walk thru it!

http://www.mandolinbabe.com

http://www.fiddlebelle.com
http://www.gigulele-bag.net (Zibbet Store)

@MandolinChick on Twitter
mando pickin,uke strummin, & fiddle sawin' Farmgirl #702
Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2011 :  09:41:21 AM  Show Profile
you are going to be fine!!!! i have faith!!!!! no money to help ya-just faith that you are making the right decision!!!!

Farmgirl # 2139
~*~ counting my pennies and biding my time; my dreams are adding up!~*~
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Soon to be Self Employed Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page