Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Gathered Up
 Town needs events and activities
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Gathered Up: Previous Topic Town needs events and activities Next Topic  

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2011 :  07:41:18 AM  Show Profile
Our town is in the dumps. We are a rural county with approx 3,200 people. The town is struggling to survive between death of aging population and mass exodus because of lack of jobs. I am on two committees in our town that refuse to let our little burb dry up and blow away. Please post any events, acitivies, or motivational speakers you have enjoyed in your own neck of the woods. We need help brainstorming how we can capitalize on our strengths and qualities. Welcome any suggestions.

Joey
True Blue Farmgirl

1868 Posts

Joey
Gulf Coast FL
USA
1868 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2011 :  11:19:30 AM  Show Profile
Interesting. Please tell me what part of the country and what have you already tried? Sending warm hugs...about 3.200 of them. :-) Joey

Well behaved women rarely make history.
Go to Top of Page

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2011 :  7:04:24 PM  Show Profile
Joann, Just sent you an email.
Go to Top of Page

adnama
True Blue Farmgirl

171 Posts

inge
fargo north dakota
USA
171 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2011 :  5:48:51 PM  Show Profile
Here, we have many little towns with much of the same situation that your describing. Many of them have street dances during the summer and one of the local television programs has a program called touring on a tankful. They feature many of these little towns and visit with the towns central people, at the same time there is a resurgence in gathing up those that create unique and crafty type of items and have the flea markets earlier in the day. Advertise on Craigslist, ajoining churches, nearby larger towns by posting on their boards. These days more people are choosing to stay cation closer to home. What would you like to see if given the chance to travel somewhere else in the states, can it be brought to some sort of fruitation there? Brainstorming of the most outragous kind can sometimes lead to the best ideas. There is a little town close to us, about 30 miles away that has Potatoe Days every year almost all food is pototoe based, vendors and service groups make and sell the food, of course there is a Miss Potatoe, a street dance (not pototoe based) a flea market, and everyone in town seems to be having a garage sale at the same time. They bring over 15,000 people in the two days of this event. They have a web site and organizers.
My boyfriend is from a very small town to the south and west of Fargo, I love going there, but they market the peace and quiet as though it is made of gold, you feel privilaged to be ALLOWED to be there. Imagine my surprize in finding that one of the very highest volume and quality quilt shop operates out of this tiny little town, they have a good presence on the web and it is a delight to be there in person.
Go to Top of Page

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2011 :  11:47:48 AM  Show Profile
adnama, Thanks for the post. We do have to remember that small is not a negative thing. Maybe we need to adopt the slogan "Small but Mighty". We also have a very nice quilting/fabric store of quilters and crafters. Privaetly owned and well run. I like the thought of creating some kind of special day where we bring in thousands of people. It could happen with the right idea. Thanks for the input.
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2011 :  12:09:17 PM  Show Profile
What part of the country? What is the nearest larger city?

Living in the area I do, in Northern Kentucky, we are surrounded by towns like yours...and some do things well, and other's don't. Is there something in your town that would consistently draw people back? Something unique? An old general store, a railroad depot? Small town festivals are the backbone of America and it would be a pity to lose them.

Mayslick, a little town about an hour from me is literally, one street. But, about 100 years ago, the region was the largest producer of Asparagus in our area. Now they're at it again. Coming up in May, they have the Mayslick Asparagus Festival, on ONE Saturday in May. They have an art show (must have asparagus in your piece, please :)), they have a cooking contest and they even create a cookbook to sell (yep, I bought it!); vendors producing goods made from asparagus, asparagus beds where you can pick your own, live music (Bluegrass, Country, Southern Gospel, even a high school chorus). There was a small craft vendo area, with the local Amish population providing bedding and hanging plants, fresh strawberries, etc...and what I liked too, was that all the stores in town (about 5 :)) were open for business, and lots of local residents had sales in their yards of crafts or antiques, or simply yard sale fare. Even some Catahoula puppies :)

It takes some planning and you have to have folks that can work together, delegate well, and know "who's" job is what, because, unfortunately, you get folks planning things and sometimes, well, there's too many cooks in the kitchen!

Check out their webpage (which isn't fancy, but tells you all you need to know) and see if you can glean anything from it that you can do with your little town.
http://www.mayslick.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4&catid=12&Itemid=3

What about an industry that your town was famous for at one time? Any way to capitalize on that? Wool fest, Sawmill fest, Branding festival complete with chili cookoff, just anything ole thing. Start small and get bigger each year.

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

HollyHobby
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

Holly
Astoria NY
USA
78 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2011 :  12:16:50 PM  Show Profile
My little town in Upstate NY has a bunch of fun activities. They have free concerts on the town green (bring your own blanket and chairs) every Saturday during the summer. During the concerts they have tables with homemade snacks to sell to raise money for some of the programs. They have a town day, where vendors rent space on the green to sell things, kind of like a craft fair. They have an artist studio tour, with maps and signs on the road pointing the way to each studio. The volunteer firehouse has a yearly "oozeball" tournament, which is always a blast. Oozeball is volleyball played in the mud! They have a parade on the fourth of july with fireworks at night. And a yearly town yard sale - participating households pay $10 to have their address put on a map that's handed out during the weeks before the sale. It's a lot of little events, but it's always fun!

Farmgirl Sister #2942
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things. ~ Robert Brault
Go to Top of Page

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2011 :  08:33:08 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for all the good ideas. We are planning a couple of concerts that should be a lot of fun. Hopefully a great speaker is coming for our Alumni weekend that should bring in tons of people. We need to capitalize on our Alumni weekend and fair week more. Any great ideas for those particular events?
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2011 :  08:47:10 AM  Show Profile
Well, Kem...I had to do some detective work, but you said you live in Kansas in another post, 4 hours from Denver, in, what I gather is a very rural party of the country. You mentioned it was big on farming, so what is the MAIN crop? Can you associate fair contests with that particular product? Cooking, art displays, etc.?

Alumni weekend...forgive me, but I'm thinking that's what we call "Homecoming" in the midwest, when the little towns throw, essentially, a party, and folks return from near and wide. The homecomings I attended near my Grandmother's tiny home town were a blast, even to a snotty 15 year old girl who attended boarding school. Square dancing, rides, local churches and the grange hall who had booths for food. Start soliciting local farms/churches and ask them to have a booth that sells their product (hog farms, how bout pulled pork bbq from locally grown stock?) At our county fair, one church is known for their pies, and the Elk's club makes homemade donuts. For both little trailers, the line raps around the way!

For your alumni weekend, how about a guest speaker that's a historian and can give a talk about your town's beginnings?

My nanny lived near Kiowa, Kansas, out on a big ole' sweeping ranch with cows and sheep, so I know how "little" people are out that way. But, whenever we went to the grain elevator, people gathered. Make your town a destination place--find something, one thing, that you can zero in on, market it and stand back and watch folks come to town!

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

smiley
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

lea
pea ridge arkansas
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2011 :  07:10:10 AM  Show Profile
Pea Ridge Arkansas has 4700 pop. We are known for our annual mule jump. Its harder to find a location to host it as the area built up around us. The old high school was torn down and a new one built in a different site. They used the old ground to set up a screen and have a free town outdoor movie night. Local clubs raised money by selling concessions and businesses bought ads to show at the beginning of the movie. Like most good ideas it stopped after a couple summers. Its hard in our busy world to get volunteers to organize this stuff and take care of the many details. July always brings the fair with the town beauty pagent and street dance. Not much but time for folks to get together and have a parade and a visit. Hope this helps. Rural life is so important to preserve and so hard with the raising gas prices.
Go to Top of Page

smiley
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

lea
pea ridge arkansas
USA
650 Posts

Posted - May 14 2011 :  8:55:46 PM  Show Profile
The new issue of Mj farms has an ice cream social idea that sounds perfect for your town
Go to Top of Page

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - May 15 2011 :  06:41:43 AM  Show Profile
I just got my new Mary Jane's Farm this weekend and saw the ice cream social. You are right, it would be a great idea for our community. There are killer home made ice cream recipes. Better yet, I think we need to add homemade pie to the event. We have some of the best pie bakers in the Midwest that live in our area. Maybe even turn it into a Sunday evening community potluck with the prizes from the merchants for best ice cream and pie. Thanks for the idea.
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - May 15 2011 :  07:59:38 AM  Show Profile
Hey there, Kem! You know, a few years back, the church we belonged to had an 100th year anniversary. Former as well as current members brought all sorts of pictures, newspaper clippings, memorabilia for us to create memory books and share with the town at a huge memorial event. It was so awesome. SO many people came to the event. Special foods were served, people reconnected who hadn't seen each other in a lifetime of years. You should've heard the "Oooh yeah I had forgotten about that's" and the "Wow - remember when so and so did such and such'es?" It was really neat for the younger kids to see pictures of their great-grandparents - pics they might not have otherwise seen. The stories told by the elders were tremendous. We learned SO much that day about the church's past as well as her important position in our town's history - memories and stories long forgotten, but SO important to share! People started coming back to church on a regular basis again. It was such an enriching, life-affirming experience...

What a neat thing that would be for your community to come together and do something like that! It'd generate a lot of interest and town pride, for sure. You could video and voice record old-timers telling their tales and reminscing, you could make a pictorial history of the town... Show "then and now" pictures of the townsfolk and memorable places. Maybe the day could include a cooking contest of "famous" recipes that have been passed down through the generations, too. Imagine what a taste-testing that would be! You could include a writing contest about the town's history - perhaps of interviews conducted by the young of the older generations. You could have an art contest for the kids, the subject being something special about their hometown. And then wouldn't it be so cool if everyone brought copies of pictures with written memories to add to a town scrapbook! (Imagine what could be done with the proceeds from the sale a book of memories and video cds of the day's event!) Perhaps the town could also create a heritage photo memory quilt to be hung in your town hall - with fabric squares of handprints and photographs of the children attending the event interwoven with the all the picture squares. Maybe you could even make a time capsule to be opened at some town anniversary in the future! Adults, teens and little children alike would really enjoy something like this! By generating a deeper sense of community spirit, you'll find people care more about each other and about protecting the legacy instituted by those of the past... It would provide great opportunity for discussion about hopes and dreams and possibilities for the town's future! :)

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

www.papercraftingwithnini.myctmh.com

Edited by - Ninibini on May 15 2011 08:02:47 AM
Go to Top of Page

barnagainkristin
True Blue Farmgirl

465 Posts

Kristin
Utah
USA
465 Posts

Posted - May 27 2011 :  6:44:44 PM  Show Profile
Cozynana,
My daughter used to live in Manitou Springs Colorado and boy do they have fun there. If you can find any information about things they have going throughout the year I think you could get some fun ideas. Some that I know of are the annual Fruit Cake Toss in January and around Halloween they have coffin races. There is a quite the story behind the coffin races. It seems a lot depends on the type of people who live in your town. I don't think my town would go for coffin races but artsy Manitou could get away with just about anything.

Best Wishes and please share your ideas with us.
barnagainkristin

"Others Before Self"
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2011 :  5:41:13 PM  Show Profile
We are a bedroom community of the state capital so we will never evaporate off the face of the earth. Each year we do a 4th of July celebration with a parade and fireworks.

Another town does a pie sale to raise money. they have been doing it for years and now make over 200 pies.

Calais, several years ago wanted to raise money for their community center and made a men of Maple Corners calendar in which 13 men stripped down and posed with tools of their trades for a calender. They were on the national morning news show and made many thousands of dollars.

Joe's Pond over in Danville has an ice out contest each year and people from all over the world buy tickets and guess what time the icwe will melt and clock and brick will fall into the water and stop the clock. they have a web site.

Middlesex has a small round pavillion that they hold concerts on in the summer.

Montpelier's historical society has a croquet and ice cream social on the capital lawn and people dress in period costume. Montpelier also has an All Species Parade on May 1st and concerts on the green each Wednesday night in the summer with local people in the orchestra.

I have heard of towns that have a medieval festival on a weekend. or even just a feast in an evening.

There are always farmers markets and craft fairs.

good luck we are trying to figure out a good money raiser to fund our fireworks.

Holly

Go to Top of Page

Turtlemoon
Farmgirl Legend Schoolmarm

378 Posts

Tanya
Port Orchard Washington
USA
378 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2011 :  5:22:32 PM  Show Profile
hi there, a lot of great ideas have already been mentioned. Our little town (about the same size) that i grew up in depended on seasonal tourism to survive. We used to have alot of activities like street fairs where crafts the townsfolk had made for sale, along with white elephant sales, silent auctions, face painting, pie eating contests, water tanks, misc games etc for fun and donate it to a town charity. We would close off a street once a month in the summer through early fall for a block party, bbq. The kids could play in the street and everyone would drag their bbq's to the street to cook, mingle, etc. Sometimes there would be street dances or talent shows. In the park they would hang a sheet and show a family friendly movie under the stars. We tried to do things to get folks out and together talking and which didn't cost much.

Raggedy Ann stuck in a Barbie Doll World

FarmGirl#1737

http://www.etsy.com/shop/moonhonu
Go to Top of Page

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2011 :  5:32:41 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for all the ideas. I am passing them on to the city council and mayor. I think we are abou to get the ball rolling. Please don't stop posting ideas. We need all we can get. Keep it coming your ideas are wonderful.
Go to Top of Page

smiley
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

lea
pea ridge arkansas
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2011 :  08:18:46 AM  Show Profile
Did they have time to implement any for this summer?
Go to Top of Page

debtea2
True Blue Farmgirl

1853 Posts

deborah
nutley nj
USA
1853 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2011 :  8:00:14 PM  Show Profile
hi kam
not sure where in the country you are
so its alittle hard for us to help you all capitalize on your areas strenghts
like lakes or beachs mountains parks farms vineyards..
you get it ...do you have a town center or if you have alot crafters/craftspeople
you could do a arts and craft fair to bring people form neigboring towns
or concerts in the park with fireworks we do and it a great turn out..
i live in a little town but we hold all kinds of events parades fairs etc.
i know alot of small towns that build on their strenghts but not know where you are is hard to help.
good luck
deborah

inch by inch we find our way
jersey farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2011 :  8:47:53 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the continual ideas. We are getting ready to form a committee to stimulate our little town. The fund raisers are really important currently. A ice cream pie social may be just the ticket.
Go to Top of Page

darlystippie
True Blue Farmgirl

410 Posts

Darlys
Cupertino CA
USA
410 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2011 :  3:43:57 PM  Show Profile
Hi Cozynana ---

I'm new to the Connection. I think you are getting a wealth of great ideas here! One that seems to be a hit in Oakhurst (also a very small town where we will be retiring next year) in California ... is the Chocolate Festival. It's a small scale event that seems to draw a lot of locals and visitors. Aside from chocolate "fountains" where there is a LOT of dipping going on --- fruits, cookies, marshmallows, anything you can think of ... there are wonderful chocolate desserts and --how about chocolate pizzas, etc.? There are other food booths -- and wine tasting, too. There are also games for kids - and things like bounce houses. And, of course, music .... some live ... some dj. I don't remember the exact cost but I believe it runs about $25 for a wine glass and 20 "tickets" - if purchased in advance of the fair (through the Chamber of Commerce and at local estabishments). Tickets are used in place of cash and are worth $1 each. I could try to get more info if you are interested. I believe it is held in October.

Farmgirl #3284

That is the best ... to laugh with someone because you both think the same things are funny.
Go to Top of Page

WoodstreamDreambyNicole
True Blue Farmgirl

177 Posts

Nicole
Marlton NJ
USA
177 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2011 :  5:36:51 PM  Show Profile
Our township has a recreation booklet that comes out quarterly (seasonal). It has activities for the town in general, children, adults, and seniors. Activities are paid by people who want to participate and happen at community centers or township sports facilities. They all sell out quickly. Our current township doesn't have the offering that our former township did. I'm giving you links to both of them so that you can see what we have in Southern NJ, suburbs of Philadelphia, PA.

Evesham Twp (current township) click on the summer booklet (says July 4th) in color http://www.twp.evesham.nj.us/
Cherry Hill (former township) click on Summer Community Magazine when you get to the page http://www.cherryhill-nj.com/government/departments/recreation/recreation.asp
Best of luck - I think that the more programs that people are interested in attending or participating in, the better!

Nicole
Shop
www.woodstreamdream.etsy.com
Custom Creations
www.woodstreamdream.blogspot.com

Edited by - WoodstreamDreambyNicole on Jul 26 2011 5:38:32 PM
Go to Top of Page

darlystippie
True Blue Farmgirl

410 Posts

Darlys
Cupertino CA
USA
410 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2011 :  11:40:17 AM  Show Profile
Gilroy CA has a Garlic Festival last weekend of July. They even have garlic ice cream.

Theme parades are fun ... like Beautiful Babies on Parade .... (all are winners). Pet parades, Tractor parades, etc -- enjoy a street fair at the end of the parade. And don't forget hayrides and winter festivals.

I'm enjoying all these ideas. Although we're not quite there yet (Oakhurst population is less than 4000) we are so looking forward to the move. We (in 3 years) have made more friends in Oakhurst - just by virtue of the town being small and friendly - than in most of a lifetime in the big Bay Area. In the Bay Area - people are certainly nice enough - there's just not that "mingle" effect. Seems most folks already have as many people already in their lives and as much on their plate as they can handle. In Oakhurst it's more laid back. You can make friends at the grocery store, in parking lots, at True Value, with next-door neighbors and, of course, in church, etc. It just seems so much more community oriented. I'm hoping to get a little involved in event planning when we are there full-time. I've worked on assembly planning committees and my (paid) job as a volunteer coordinator ran for many more years than I even remember. Now I think I need to play it forward. So I am tucking away all the good ideas I've seen on this forum - and maybe , some day, a few will pop up as thoughts for community fun in Oakhurst.

You farmgirls are terrific!

Darlys -- #3284

That is the best ... to laugh with someone because you both think the same things are funny.
Go to Top of Page

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2011 :  08:00:14 AM  Show Profile
I appreciate all the replies and interest from this post. I am working with the mayor in our town to come up with a years worth of events scheduled for next year. We have do have annual events already established, but lack events Feb-April because of the cold and snow. I think we should capitalize on that. I will be suggesting some of the ideas posted here and then add some of my own. The results will be posted in the future. Please don't hesitate to add more ideas anytime. Our little burb needs stimulation and new recreation. Our goal is to rise to the occasion and make things happen.
Go to Top of Page

darlystippie
True Blue Farmgirl

410 Posts

Darlys
Cupertino CA
USA
410 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2011 :  10:08:08 AM  Show Profile
Winter idea ... besides the hayride (sleighride) winter festival ... Progressive potlucks with a Valentine's Day or St. Patrick's Day - or Mardi Gras theme.

Sister #3284 - on her Tippie Toes - oxox, Darlys

Go to Top of Page

WoodstreamDreambyNicole
True Blue Farmgirl

177 Posts

Nicole
Marlton NJ
USA
177 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2011 :  1:53:46 PM  Show Profile
Don't know if it was mentioned - but a Historic House tour where tickets are bought at town hall and a map is provided for those who buy tickets to do a self-tour. There are also ones around here that have higher priced tickets and a "trolley" takes the tours around to each house. Something to consider for the colder months.

Nicole
Shop
www.woodstreamdream.etsy.com
Custom Creations
www.woodstreamdream.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Gathered Up: Previous Topic Town needs events and activities Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page