Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Bees nesting by my front door
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Bees nesting by my front door Next Topic
Page: of 2

Caron
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

Caron
Orange Texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2011 :  10:13:02 AM  Show Profile
Ladies, I have bees building a nest in the guttering above my front door. I called a local beekeeper but he never showed up. My husband and I do not want to kill them, but we do want to move them from our front door area. Any thoughts on what we can do?

Caron

Happy Farmgirl Sister #254

"An Apron:Its strings gently tug at us, tenderly, softly calling us to turn back to the old ways".-Above Rubies Magazine

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2011 :  11:05:56 AM  Show Profile
I took a bee-keeping class and the teacher goes on calls to remove bees. He takes a box with a lid and cuts a little flap in the top. He then gets the queen out of the nest and puts her in the box. Within 20 minutes all the bees are in the box, they just fly in there because of the queen. He is a professional and knows how to get the queen. I remember he uses smoke to tame the bees down. Maybe you could smoke them and then move the whole nest. I am not so sure I would do it without the whole bee keeper uniform on though.

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

Happy to be a "Raggedy Ann" in a Barbie World!

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2011 :  11:22:03 AM  Show Profile
Looks like a good time to start a bee hive. I hope some bee keepers see this and can help you out. They shouldn't sting you if you are very calm and leave them alone.Maybe you could call your county extension office. They might know of bee keepers in your area. I have heard of them driving quite a ways to get bees. Good luck. And "bee" careful!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4269 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4269 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2011 :  05:30:09 AM  Show Profile
What kind of bees are you dealing with?

Michele
Go to Top of Page

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2011 :  4:25:31 PM  Show Profile
Caron, call your extension office or try a local beekeeper's association or beekeeper's club (maybe you can look up a local beekeeper's club by typing in your town's name in a computer search). Most towns or counties have something local. Most beekeeper's will pick up a swarm or rogue bee colony for free (gets them FREE bees) and that way you'll have piece of mind knowing you got bees with someone who will work with them the right way.
Good luck!

~*~Dream all you dreamers~*~

View My Work:

art/dolls: www.vagabondcreations.blogspot.com

The Horse Drawn Project and Farming!
www.beyondvagabond.blogspot.com

View the blog and radio show!
Renegade Farming!: www.therenegadefarmer.com

N
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2011 :  4:29:03 PM  Show Profile
Did someone come get the bees yet? Just wondering.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Caron
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

Caron
Orange Texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2011 :  06:47:46 AM  Show Profile
Thanks ladies for the suggestions! I have someone else coming next week to see about the bees. I decided to not try anything myself. I'll let you know what happens!
At least so far they are not really bothering anyone, not even my two cats who are facinated by them and sit and watch them each day! LOL!

Caron

"An Apron:Its strings gently tug at us, tenderly, softly calling us to turn back to the old ways".-Above Rubies Magazine
Go to Top of Page

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2011 :  09:02:23 AM  Show Profile
I kind of had the same question as Michele. What kind of bees are they? I have never had honeybees nest anywhere like that. Wasps yes! Oh well the bee fellow will tell you what they are quick enough.

MJ

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page

Caron
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

Caron
Orange Texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2011 :  4:17:54 PM  Show Profile
I talked to a man today who said they are most likely bees without a queen. He said sometimes there is more worker bees than the hive can sustain so some must move on, or perhaps a queen has died and the bees have scattered. He said since they are not being agressive most likely there is no queen or they would feel the need to protect her.
He will contact me later in the week and maybe set up a bee box near the door in the hopes they will decide to move into it. He also said to wait, that they may just move on in a few days. But they've been here over a week so I don't know about that.
So that's the latest. At least this guy doesn't just want to kill them, in fact he would love it if they go to the bee box and he can have them, so I'm happy he understands I don't want to kill them either.

Caron

Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2011 :  8:56:17 PM  Show Profile
I'll bet there is a queen or they would have left. They are probably a swarm from a beekeeper. Honey bees are not aggressive (Unless they are africanized) to people walking by or a pet that can't get within a few feet of their entrance. We approach our hives all the time while working the garden and they ignore us. I wouldn't go banging around their entrance but otherwise they should not bother you. If one does land on you, brush it off gently but don't squash it. That can get them stirred up. If you get stung leave the area. If this fellow does not show up call your city/county public info number. Most places have a call list of beekeepers to collect swarms. Sometimes it is hard to find someone willing to collect a hive in a wall/house. They have to dismantle part of the wall and worry about risk of the homeowner being upset or asking them to pay for the damage. It's just a pain unless the people are committed to keeping the bees alive and realize there will be some damage to the structure. The longer they are in a place the less likely they will leave to get in his bee box even if he uses a bee attractant. Time is not your friend when it comes to bees moving in! If they are there long enough to lay eggs they won't be interested in leaving if there is plenty of room for them.
Hope this helps. Good luck with finding a home for them! Wish I was closer, we are in need of bees at the moment!
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

Caron
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

Caron
Orange Texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2011 :  3:04:46 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Connie!
They don't seem to be leaving so maybe there IS a queen up there.
I wish there was a way to send them to you!
I also wonder what will happen if we get a good rain,the gutter will not be a good place for them then.No rain forcasted for this week though, so maybe the bee guy can figure out something before that happens.

Caron

Go to Top of Page

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2011 :  4:29:48 PM  Show Profile
I don't know who you talked to, but bees seldom leave en masse without a queen.

Sounds like a regular ole' swarm to me. Which IS what happens when there are too many bees in a particular hive (or tree trunk or what have you), the queen leads part of her colony away and will produce other queen cells, which become new queens, and they stay with the rest of the old hive. If bees leave without a queen, they do so in small clusters, flying out once they are no longer influenced by the queen pheromone.

By the way, regular old honey bees WILL find a tree or any hollowed out area (including the inside of people's homes!) to go to when not in a hive box. They've been doing it for thousands of years before WE put them in boxes

View My Work:

N
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2011 :  5:10:52 PM  Show Profile
Regular old honey bees will build a hive anywhere and everywhere, I have one in a tree, another in between barn panels, and had one in an engine block, and in the last couple of years had 5 hives removed from under my house, in the walls and in the attic. I leave all alone except for the ones house bound...

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2011 :  11:57:47 PM  Show Profile
Whoaaa, Bear, that is a lot of bees over where you are at! You're definitely surrounded!

View My Work:

N
Go to Top of Page

Caron
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

Caron
Orange Texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2011 :  08:46:22 AM  Show Profile
Well, the latest bee guy I called came(not a professional), looked and saw they are in the gutter only not into the wall (a good thing) but beyond that he was not equipped to do anything (he couldn't get a bee box) so I have one other option, calling a beekeeper that works at our local city garden. He in fact is holding a free beginners beekeeper class next Thursday, maybe I should go to that class, maybe these bees are a sign!
Anyway,a call to him is next...

I am thankful they are not the africanized bees. There was an elderly couple killed here in Texas yesterday when they disturbed a hive of them while cleaning out a hunting cabin. So it could be worse than just having a few in a gutter.

Caron

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2011 :  09:00:01 AM  Show Profile
Caron, that's so sad about that couple. Are you anywhere near the fires? I read that you don't have rain forcast for some time. I saw that on the weather channel. It sure doesn't look good. I wish we could send you some of the rain we are getting here. But you will get some soon. I hope you can get the bees into a hive soon.

At the end of my road there was an old oak tree that fell over in a storm last year. I noticed some cutting on it then nothing. Then one day I saw a few bee hives by the tree. I figured it out then. It took a few weeks for all the bees to get in the hives then they were gone again. And the beautiful old oak tree became someone's firewood for the winter. Life goes on.

Yes, you should take the class and get a hive. I saw plans for a top bee hive on coldantler blog a few weeks back. It looked really easy to build. There are lots of good bee hive plans available. It can get expensive to buy all the equipment. Good luck and stay calm!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Caron
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

Caron
Orange Texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2011 :  09:11:49 AM  Show Profile
Kris, I thought about it and just called to reserve my spot at the beekeeping class. Hey, it never hurts to learn something and the class is free so it'll be(Bee, LOL) good.
Thankfully I am not near the fires though we have not had rain in a while and are under a burn ban. I live down on the coastline so the humidity is higher than other areas of Texas and that helps us. I am certainly praying for those dealing with the fires.
I'm gonna leave my little bee friends where they are till I take the class and then we'll see what's next!

Caron

Go to Top of Page

Caron
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

Caron
Orange Texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - May 02 2011 :  3:15:06 PM  Show Profile
Here's an update on my bees: I never got anyone to come get the bees. I took the beekeeping class where I learned a lot about regular bee boxes as well as a little on Top Bar hives.I'm going to take a follow-up class on the Top bar hives.
In the meantime,most of my bees have died off,I don't know why. There are only about 10 or so bees left, so I'm just leaving them where they are for now and we'll see what comes up next.
Thanks to all of you for your suggestions,it helped a lot! No matter what happens it was a learning experience and that's always good!

Caron

Go to Top of Page

Caron
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

Caron
Orange Texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - May 28 2011 :  05:31:40 AM  Show Profile
Another update on my bees: they found a way into the wall of my house and multiplied greatly. I finally got a beekeeper to come over (by actually calling an exterminator who then recommended him) and he will return to remove them on Tuesday. By now though they are in the thousands in my wall so the wall will have to be cut to get them and the hive/comb out. What a mess! If only someone equipted to help had come at the first when they were only in the gutter area, it wouldn't be such a problem and cost ($300.00 to remove them plus the repairs to the wall we will have to do AND a bunch of work for me because the wall is home to a big bookcase and lots of books which have to be moved).They also found a wall crack so some are getting into the living room but that will be solved on Tuesday.
I admit I am a bit angry now at this whole thing. In the future when I hear of a bee problem I'll save the people some time and call them with this guys name. At least he will show up!

Caron

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 28 2011 :  06:05:44 AM  Show Profile
Oh my, Caron. What a mess. But what else do you have to do? I am kidding, of course. I would be very upset too. I am so sorry. You should at least get some honey out of this.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Caron
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

Caron
Orange Texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - May 29 2011 :  05:03:42 AM  Show Profile
Ladies, bear with me I need your ear to cry just a bit. I had a good panic attack last night. The bees have found a crack in the corner of the living room wall and are getting into the living room.They get on the lamp, the curtains the walls, the floor. The living room is all in a mess, and I still have to move a lot of stuff out or around the room.We caulked the crack,they ate through it. Last night my husband put wall mud in the crack and so far it's holding them back. Please send a prayer up or a good thought up for me to "hold on" till this is over.I feel like I am at my breaking point and it's only Sunday. Beekeeper won't be here till Tuesday night.

Caron
I'm editing to add I just noticed some of the bees have moved over to a new spot and must be building a second hive there now. I called the beekeeper to tell him he will have more work than he originally thought.Oh boy.

Edited by - Caron on May 29 2011 06:19:33 AM
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 29 2011 :  06:43:32 AM  Show Profile
Caron, I will be sending up a prayer for you. I can't even imagine what you are going through. It reminds me of the book about the little girl that had the bees in her wall. I can't remember the name but I loved that book. I so hope that Tuesday he comes bright and early in the morning and gets them out of there. In the meantime, stay calm. Maybe go away for the day. The less stress you have the better for the bees and for you. You don't want them to get agitated in the house! So go have a good day away.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Caron
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

Caron
Orange Texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - May 30 2011 :  06:53:44 AM  Show Profile
Thank you Kris, I appreciate your words!

Caron

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 30 2011 :  07:29:50 AM  Show Profile
One more day!!! You can do it!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - May 30 2011 :  1:07:33 PM  Show Profile
Wow, this is crazy, I didn't even see some of these earlier posts!

Hmm, we had an incident where we had to take out a friend's wall to remove a hive that took over a house! I'm surprised your keeper is not coming faster AND that he is charging. Usually professional beekeepers don't charge for swarm removals, as the exchange of money illicits a contract and that means should anything go wrong, you CAN sue this person.

But I digress. I am so sorry this is happening to you. IF there is a way to find the entrance of where the bees are coming in, I suggest blocking off with caulk or strong tape. However, I guess if the bees are coming through it, you may not want to get close to them

I hope this resolves for you soon, and easily!

View My Work:

N
Go to Top of Page

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - May 30 2011 :  1:10:11 PM  Show Profile
Oops, I didn't read all the way through to notice that you had already caulked up the crack :( I am so sorry about your situation, hopefully it's a quick 24 hours til the keeper comes!

View My Work:

N
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Bees nesting by my front door Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page