Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Anyone collect Birds Nests?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Anyone collect Birds Nests? Next Topic  

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2011 :  06:42:36 AM  Show Profile
I have three, I display them in this basket, picture on my site. I don't find them very often, I guess those little birds glue them pretty good to the trees. I just think its a wonder how they are made. I read someplace to put small pieces of sting and lint etc outside and the birds will find it and use it to build their nests.I have never found one of the bigger ones like a Robin might make with all the mud worked into it.

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2011 :  06:49:31 AM  Show Profile
I am fascinated with bird nests. If I find one, I always marvel at how it is made and what it is made with! What wonderful craftmanship. I used to collect them, but have given them away one by one to friends.

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

Happy to be a "Raggedy Ann" in a Barbie World!

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2011 :  07:05:16 AM  Show Profile
I do, but don't tell the Dept. of Kentucky Fish and Wildlife! It's apparently illegal, even if the nest has been blown out of tree or whatever...

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6651 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6651 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2011 :  07:08:03 AM  Show Profile
I too collect Birds Nest and I love them. We found a Hummingbird nest that I just love, it is so tiny. We have a bird box/nesting box attached to our back nest and every year without fail the finches make a nest in their box, so I get a new birds nest every year. I display them with little speckled eggs.

Farm girl Hugs,
Debbie
www.etsy.com/shop/CollectThisTreasures
Go to Top of Page

Ingrid
True Blue Farmgirl

432 Posts

Ingrid
BC
Canada
432 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2011 :  07:15:19 AM  Show Profile
I have three as well. I think they are amazing. I keep them in my workroom. I have a fourth that is at the top of a downspout under the eaves that robins built and I leave it there. They haven't used it again I just think it looks neat.

Give thanks to yourself everyday for all the wonderful things you do!
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3322 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3322 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2011 :  08:28:40 AM  Show Profile
Nancy, One Christmas we brought a nest in with our Christmas tree without knowing it! It was very well made-perfectly cylindrical and apparently it's good luck during the Christmas season to have a birds nest in the Christmas tree.

I would love to keep a birds nest in the house, but is there a way to keep them from disintegrating?

Melody
Farmgirl #525
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2011 :  09:22:35 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
my oldest son collects birds nests. he displays them on a shelf with an assortment of found feathers and broken egg shells. i call it george's museum of natural history.

www.barefootfashion.wordpress.com

http://www.corrinemackrell.carbonmade.com
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2011 :  12:57:55 PM  Show Profile
I have a tiny hummingbird nest that my girls found for me a few years ago. It's inside a small blue bowl my oldest daughter made for me in school with a ceramic chicken figure sitting in it. I love it so much!

We hunt for them every year and then try to figure out what kind of bird made it. We also like to slowly dissassemble them and see how different birds build them.

We do get to watch one get built every year right outside my bedroom window. That same mamma blue bird comes back every year!

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

ChickieMama
True Blue Farmgirl

303 Posts

Angela
Banks Oregon
USA
303 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2011 :  3:14:41 PM  Show Profile
I collect them too! I have them on a shelf in my great room. When I find parts of broken egg shell, I put them in them as well. We have brought home Christmas trees and found them in the tree too!

Farmgirl Sister#2808
"Happy Hens make Happy Eggs"
http://lazyjoranch.blogspot.com
http://etsy.com/shop/lazyjoranch
Go to Top of Page

violetrose
True Blue Farmgirl

960 Posts

Ruth
Epworth GA
USA
960 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2011 :  5:51:31 PM  Show Profile
We have a camera in our Blue Bird house and watch her build her nest each year - it amazes us, the intricate work they do. Right now she is sitting on 5 eggs, they should hatch in about 9 more days! Last year she and her spouse raised 2 clutches, first one was 5 babies, second they had 3. How fun it is to watch the process from nest building to fledging.
Have you all seen the Decorah, IA Eagles, if not, check them out on ustream.com. They have 3 Eaglets that are a little over a week old, truly amazing :)
Hugs, Ruth

Farmgirl Sister # 1738

God loves each one of us as if there were only one of us!

St. Augustine
Go to Top of Page

nh.farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

74 Posts

Barbara
New Hampshire
USA
74 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2011 :  6:19:26 PM  Show Profile
I have two. There is a picture of one of them in my blog - just scroll down to (I think) the March 14th post. It's in a bowl I threw right underneath my latest painting. Aren't bird's nests just a marvel - just a perfect work of art! I got both of mine from the ground, where they'd fallen from a tree.

"If I could say it in words there would be no reason to paint."
- Edward Hopper
www.newhampshirefarmgirl.blogspot.com
Farmgirl Sister

Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2011 :  6:24:36 PM  Show Profile
Nancy: Another thing we have in common. I have 3 also. I have a felted robin I put in one of them with painted robin's eggs in the others. The little girl next door dound a hummingbirds nest in the tree next to the fence. They are so much fun to decorate with in the spring.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2011 :  7:53:52 PM  Show Profile
Here's a link to the decorah eagles.

I love watchin them all day long!

http://www.ustream.tv/decoraheagles

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2011 :  12:51:31 PM  Show Profile
I found one on the ground last fall...guess it's the start of a collection! I've always loved finding them and taking a look inside, but never thought to bring one home before.
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2011 :  12:57:38 PM  Show Profile
I have 3 right now..all under those Victorian style glass bell jars to keep them dust free. Inside one sits a bluebird feather and a stone from Boscastle Harbor, Cornwall, England and inside another sits a beautiful fossil of a curled cephlapod that my husband found in our creekbed. The other is so tiny (Wren or Hummingbird) I leave it as is--also because they used this beautiful braided jute to make their nest that came from a dog food bag, smart, decorative birdies :))

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

HollyHobby
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

Holly
Astoria NY
USA
78 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2011 :  05:26:56 AM  Show Profile
Thought you might like to see a pic that i snapped (last year) while mama robin was out gathering food. Two of the eggs eventually hatched, while the other stayed whole.

Farmgirl Sister #2942
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things. ~ Robert Brault
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2011 :  11:27:11 AM  Show Profile
Holly, what a nice picture. Robins make a really sturdy nest.

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

HollyHobby
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

Holly
Astoria NY
USA
78 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2011 :  11:34:30 AM  Show Profile
I know, the edges were like cement!

Farmgirl Sister #2942
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things. ~ Robert Brault
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6651 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6651 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2011 :  5:12:37 PM  Show Profile
I wanted to share my birds nest with you, my Mother In Law made it for us probably 20 years ago for our Christmas tree. She made the little partridges in the nest and they are each sitting on their own little nest. Years ago I found this grape vine nest at a junk shop, so the partridges sit in the nest and is put on our tree every year. My Mother In Law passed away in January so this little nest means more to us now, and it will be passed on to our son one day.

Farm girl Hugs,
Debbie

www.etsy.com/shop/CollectThisTreasures

http://debbielynnf.blogspot.com

http://myworld.ebay.com/debbt
Go to Top of Page

Violets November
True Blue Farmgirl

342 Posts

Violet
Exeter California
USA
342 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2011 :  3:41:06 PM  Show Profile
I do!

There's a brand new one on my patio that has been abandoned. It's a little finch nest with two blue eggs.

I wish the little finches didn't make their nests on the patio because it's impossible for them with all our family activity there. They always end up abandoning them!

~Violet~
Farmgirl Sister #1669

My blog, http://hiddenacre.blogspot.com/
Our Organic Jewelry, http://www.etsy.com/shop/GaelicForge
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2011 :  7:12:29 PM  Show Profile
I do not collect them, but I watch them. A pair of Cardinals have made a nest in a little cypress in our yard. I walked quietly out there this evening and saw her tail sticking up among the branches. So now I will make sure there is water in the bird bath for the family. And we will try to watch for snakes.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

Kampercatt
Farmgirl in Training

21 Posts

Zoe
Elkhorn WI
USA
21 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2011 :  7:13:16 PM  Show Profile
I use to raise Galloway cattle. They have long hair for the winter and shed out in the summer. We found a real small nest, possibly a finch, made out of red hair. It is really soft and delicate.

Kampercatt #2262
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2011 :  7:27:37 PM  Show Profile
The cardinal nest in the cypress in our yard is really active. I think the eggs will soon open. I love seeing how protective mommy and daddy are! Oh, and today I killed a 3 foot oak snake on it's way to the tree. My shovel has another notch on it! :)

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13

Edited by - jpbluesky on Apr 29 2011 7:33:08 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Anyone collect Birds Nests? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page