kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2011 :  2:31:11 PM  Show Profile
I was at the store this morning and went passed some pretty tomatoes. Now normally I would just pass them up. But it got me to thinking of my all time very favorite sandwich. And I had just bought some good think cut bacon from the butcher. And I had some yummy rosemary-sea salt hard white sour dough bread in the freezer. So I broke down and bought a Mexican tomato. I know. I just couldn't wait til July any more. Just one tomato. So I came home and fixed my favorite sandwich. Tomato and bacon on good sour dough type bread. It's SO good! I think this might tide me over til the first tomatoes come in. Maybe.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

embchicken
True Blue Farmgirl

1487 Posts

Elaine
Ocean NJ
USA
1487 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2011 :  2:36:37 PM  Show Profile
Now I am hungry!

~ Elaine
"Be the change you wish to see in the world." - Gandhi

Farmgirl sister #2882
http://embchicken.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

paulas party flowers
True Blue Farmgirl

191 Posts

paula
golden valley az
USA
191 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2011 :  3:07:30 PM  Show Profile
yum.......lol

the best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched.they must be felt with the heart. Helen Keller
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2011 :  3:09:00 PM  Show Profile
Oh gosh. Now I want one for dinner. Lemme at those Mexican tomatoes!! :-)

Mary Beth

www.OklahomaPastryCloth.com
www.Oklahomapastrycloth.com/blog
The Sovereign Lord is my strength - Habakkuk 3:19
Go to Top of Page

LeighErica
True Blue Farmgirl

306 Posts

Erica
PA
USA
306 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2011 :  5:35:40 PM  Show Profile
Oi..that sounds really good. I too was just thinking about summer and having tomato sandwiches for supper..I just do bread, with a hearty tomato and mayonnaise...so good....sometimes we all need to just leap and buy stuff that makes a good meal..even if it is out of season. Hugs, Erica
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2011 :  7:37:55 PM  Show Profile
BLTs are my favorite too! I'll fry enough bacon on a Sat morning to save for sandwiches during the week when the tomatoes are in. I've been known to take some bacon to the garden pick a tomato and have a snack right there. Nice sun warm tomato. Yum can't wait!
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

paulas party flowers
True Blue Farmgirl

191 Posts

paula
golden valley az
USA
191 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2011 :  09:01:33 AM  Show Profile
yum..homemade salsa.........

the best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched.they must be felt with the heart. Helen Keller
Go to Top of Page

KD Earthwork
True Blue Farmgirl

210 Posts

Katie
Gualala Calif.
USA
210 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2011 :  5:29:37 PM  Show Profile
We've been only buying milk, cream and cheese as well as grains and flours. Surviving off what we have in the garden, canned, or in the freezer. Fruit is what I miss, our trees are just starting to produce, three years old last summer, so we had very little fruit to put away. Luckily were trading eggs for lemons!

But last week I also succumbed to three small tomatoes and a avocado . My daughter(4 ) went crazy, you would have thought it candy. We didn't really even notice that it had almost no flavor, it was gone, the avocado too.

Also about a month ago a read about a sale on shrimp(thailand) and bought a few pounds. My husband's face was so amazed when I told him what was for dinner. Our half cow, mostly gone now, and a wild pig has been eaten for too many a meal.

Boy, our food budget sure has gone down. It's fun to spend so little when I go into grocery stores.Plus how little I actually go.

http://www.rosemancreekranch.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2011 :  6:43:31 PM  Show Profile
It was very good but not near as juicy as a home grown tomato is. I usually have to use at least 5 napkins becuse it's so messy. You're right about the no taste. But it was pretty good for a tomato that traveled across the country.

I have 3 pear trees that are 4 years old not. Or 4 years here anyway. Last year they all got fire blight. This year they are all full of blossoms so I hope I get pears in the fall. And we have 6 apple trees, grapes, strawberries, blueberries and figs. So I hope there is enough to put up for a year. I would LOVE to not go to the store for food anymore.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2011 :  6:52:49 PM  Show Profile
Kristin, are fig trees pretty easy to grow? How big do they get? I'm wondering if I could plant one here in Oklahoma. We're on pretty much the same weather pattern as you I think.

Mary Beth

www.OklahomaPastryCloth.com
www.Oklahomapastrycloth.com/blog
The Sovereign Lord is my strength - Habakkuk 3:19
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2011 :  03:55:28 AM  Show Profile
I put out my broccoli last weekend, and I could almost taste it. I miss my home grown veggies! I can't wait for this years!

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2011 :  08:54:16 AM  Show Profile
Megan, there's nothing to compare fresh broccoli to. Nothing. It just melts in my mouth. I will have to get some more plants in a few weeks.

Mary Beth, figs are fairly east to grow. I bought a really small plant last spring. I planted it so it has all day sun. It grew to over 4 feet tall. It has to face South. So I have been checking on it the last several weeks. I thought it was dead. It looked dead. Then I started seeing some little green leaves at the bottom. Then more every day. So it is alive! It is just a lter bloomer? But then a lady down the road said she already has figs on hers. But mine is only a few years old yet. You should get a few and try it. I have seen fig TREES around here so I guess they get pretty big. But on average I think they are like a big bush. Just depends on where they are planted and if they like it there.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2011 :  10:11:40 AM  Show Profile
WOW I had no idea we could grow figs around here. I LOVE LOVE LOVE figs, I will have to give them a try! One thing I used to love at Trader Joe's was this fig garlic sauce (it was a little sweet, but also savory) I loved it added to my omlettes in the morning, gave them good flavor, and I like the tiny fig seeds, the pop it gave breakfast was fun for my mouth! But, then trader joe's stopped selling it, wish I hadn't gotten rid of my last jar it was in so I would have all the ingredients that was in it! UHG!

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic I Just Had To Do It Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page