Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 Sweating, Sunburns.... In the Garden
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Sweating, Sunburns.... In the Garden Next Topic
Page: of 10

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2011 :  5:57:13 PM  Show Profile
Ok, I really think I have missed sweating. And being stinky. And the sun. And dirt under my nails and in my hair and on my feet. It's all good. Then taking a nice cool shower and getting all clean and smelling good again. It's so nice to NOT be cold!

I just mowed the yard with our new push mower with a bagger even. I am loving that thing. And so do the pigs and turkeys. They are getting all that good grass when the bag is full. And I really like how the yard looks after. Nice and neat and all the same height. Very nice. And I get lots of good excercise to boot!

I planted some day lillies and iris in a round flower bed. And I dug up 2 little red bud trees from my mom's. I got them planted in the yard this morning. I need to work in the foundation bed now. The chickens like to scratch around and the mulch is all over the place. I wish I could keep them out of it.

And my hubby found a new nest with 8 eggs in it in a raised bed. I left one.

And the garden is tilled and ready to plant. Just gotta get some seeds and plants now. I did plant some broccoli and cabbage in a raised bed. I found alot of potatoes and onions from last year that came up. I will probably get more onions. Oh, I am so excited to get started again! It's plantin' time in Georgia!!!!!!!!!

Oh, it's about 85 today and tomorrow and all next week! That's HOT, y'all!

So what's going on in your neck of the woods?

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Edited by - kristin sherrill on Apr 14 2011 5:00:21 PM

SylviaE
True Blue Farmgirl

350 Posts

Sylvia
Wichita KS
USA
350 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2011 :  6:12:30 PM  Show Profile
Officially at least 98 here-broke a record of 97. My car said 100. The wind is blowing like crazy and there is a huge fire about 40 miles northwest of me that has been burning for 3+days and is 0% contained.

Sylvia E
Farmgirl Sister #2871
Go to Top of Page

embchicken
True Blue Farmgirl

1487 Posts

Elaine
Ocean NJ
USA
1487 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2011 :  04:09:55 AM  Show Profile
oh - you girls are making me wish for some more warm weather. I thought I was lucky that it was 55 here !

~ Elaine
"Be the change you wish to see in the world." - Gandhi

Farmgirl sister #2882
http://embchicken.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2011 :  06:24:52 AM  Show Profile
I am slowing forgetting how cold the winter was. With all these high temps, it's easy. I sure don't miss the cold. But don't want to have to turn the AC on yet. It's just April 10th. I don't usually turn it on til May. So the windows will be opened instead.

Sylvia, that is hot. That's when I start not liking the heat. But right now it would be nice. I hope they get those fires contained and out soon. There were fire trucks going back and forth all day out here yesterday. People burning brush and the wind gets it going to fast.

Elaine, it will get warm there soon. I know some of the girls here still ahev snow on the ground.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2011 :  09:43:50 AM  Show Profile
It's been in the upper 60s and low 70s for a few days here. That's not really normal though. We usually are still in the 50s this time of year, but I've been enjoyin it anyhow.

I'm about a month or so behind on the garden and my starts, but I'm playin catch up as best as I can.

We've had so much rain I just keep re-plantin my peas and prayin over my soggy garlic. We spent hours yesterday pickin the pea seed out of the yard and the corn patch area and puttin it back in the pea rows!

Come on drier, warmer, steadier weather!! LOL!

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2011 :  10:08:15 AM  Show Profile
I think I will plant some beets later today. I have some from last year and I want alot. I made that beet kvass last week and it is too good. I will have to eat some every day now. And it was so easy to make. So I will plant some now then more in Aug.

I also have some corn on the cobs still from some I planted last year that didn't do too good. It's an heirloom sweet corn I ordered from Baker Creek. I hope it will come up. It's still too early to plant corn here.

I just put some soil in 2 egg cartons full of egg shells for soem tomatoe seeds. Has anyone ever planted Cherokee Purple or Royal Chico? The RC looks like a Roma type. They are both heirloom from BC too. I hope they will come up. I don't have much luck with heirloom tomatoes. There is a farm up the road that does market gardening and they have a greenhouse. I will buy tomato plants from them also. And peppers.

Angela, sounds like you are busy with all your replanting there. Nothing like it though.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

laurentany
True Blue Farmgirl

3259 Posts

Laurie
Patchogue NY
USA
3259 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2011 :  05:43:00 AM  Show Profile
We are finally starting to warm up here on Long Island. We had a tease of nice weather a few weeks ago and then it went back into hibernation! SO far in April we have had the typical April showers, but at least the temps have been hovering in the 50's and even hitting 60's here and there. No where near the 80's that you speak of Kristin, but we will get there and before you know it we'll be complainin' that its too hot! Ha
Enjoy- this is a fabulous time of year with so much new life popping up everywhere you look!
Farmgirl Smiles,
Laurie
Farmgirl Sister#1403

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..
Go to Top of Page

the butchers wife
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Kelly
Mo
27 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2011 :  2:34:33 PM  Show Profile
Oh Kristin, I totally get it... I was just talking to my DH about how much I love a hard day of workin' outside where you get really dirty and sweaty. It's good for the soul and it clears my mind of all the junk. We have everything planted that can be planted now. We took our nieces letterboxing at Ha Ha Tonka state park, it was an awesome hike in the Ozark mountains. We were a dirty seaty mess after digging in hollow trees for the letterbox. Now we just need to get our lawn in order. We have tons of trees (blessing and curse) and have leaves and limbs down constantly. So we need to get it together and plant some flowers. love me some spring.
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2011 :  7:01:23 PM  Show Profile
I love cherokee purples! They have the best taste of the heirlooms I've tried. I know thats subjective but I would grow them. Maybe next year. I didn't start any seeds this year and feel pretty sure I won't find plants for them.
Wasn't this weekend wonderful! I got hot enough to get dizzy digging the bean rows. I loved it!
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2011 :  7:16:37 PM  Show Profile
Connie I don't know about where you live but I am finding cheerokee purples every where, walmart, kmart (cheapest so far), the feed and seed store. Seems every where has them. I bought two! I wasn't sure cause I never had them before. So you may want to check kmart.

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2909 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2909 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2011 :  7:26:02 PM  Show Profile
Hey Kris
Haven't done the Royal Chico yet, but I also got them from BC.
I have not started anything yet. It seems if I plant later, my tomatoes aren't as blight prone.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2011 :  7:30:55 PM  Show Profile
Well, I missed my chance to plant today. With worrying about getting those pigs loaded I was a mess. I did mow around the garden and apple trees this morning though. And now it's storming and raining. Another monday night thunderstorm. Every Monday we have had bad storms. So now it will be days before I can get in the garden.

Kelly, what all have you planted so far? ANd what is the letterbox? I have been planting maple trees in my yard. I have about 4 of them and they are huge. Right now the yard is littered with their helicopter seeds. So last year as they would sprout and get a few feet tall, I would dig them up and move them to where I wanted them. And I also dug up 2 little redbud trees from my mom's and got them planted.

Connie, I gave the rest of the tomato seeds to my friend who is starting a big market garden. I wish I had kept them now. I could have sent you some. I got them from Baker Creek.

I need one more apple tree. And one of my grape vines did not come back. I had 6 so I will need to replace that one. And I want more blueberry bushes. Also need a few more fig trees. So that will keep me busy.

I hope this rain washed away all that nasty pollen. It was way over 5000 today.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2011 :  7:37:37 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Heather i'll get out tomorrow and see if they are around. To early to plant out yet but I can put them under some lights.
Thanks for the thought Kris. If I don't find some plants I'll order seeds next year.
The pollen will be down till the ground and leaves dry. I'm going to get out and pull weeds out of the beds while they are easy to pull and the air is clearer!
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2011 :  10:32:17 AM  Show Profile
I'm back at it again. It started out nice and cool but now I am sweating. I came in to take a break. I was weeding the one raised bed with strawberries in it. How do they get so many weeds in a raised bed? I thought raised beds were supposed to be so much easier. Well, they aren't. I am only half way done on the 4x8 bed and I have the biggest pile of weeds. Mostly that grass with roots that go to China. Like 50' long roots. And tough as wire. So I will go back out and tackle the rest in a few.

I want to go get soem Black Gold soil but it's about $30 a tractor scoop, which isn't much at all. I need to put some in the row where I want to plant beets. I may just go rake up out in the goat yard and get some of that free black gold out there. That's some good black dirt mixed with chicken and goat poop. Good stuff.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2011 :  11:04:19 AM  Show Profile
I'd say you have black gold!
Connie

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2011 :  12:30:43 PM  Show Profile
Ok, taking a break. I got a big wheel barrow load of my free (but very labor intensive) black gold out back. I strew some beet seeds out on a row and am throwing shovels full on top of the seeds. Then I am putting a section of fence on top to keep the stinkin' chickens from scratching up everything I've just done. I need another barrow full then it should be enough for that row.

Tomorrow I am going to town and getting plants and seeds. It's too late to order seeds right now. So this will have to do for now. And I will get at least half the garden planted.

What's going on in y'alls garden so far?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2011 :  4:57:46 PM  Show Profile

This is the garden looking toward my house. Just getting started.

This is looking out across the road toward Pigeon Mt. The little part is where I just planted beets. Then there are my grape vines. Then the big garden.

Kris

Edited by - kristin sherrill on Apr 14 2011 4:59:51 PM
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2011 :  06:00:54 AM  Show Profile
We had another storm last night. It was pretty scary. Tons of rain coming down in sheets. I never saw it rain so hard. So if the beet seeds didn't float away, that should have been great for them.

I went to the feed store and got some more cabbage and broc. Also got some Chinese cabbage. Anyone ever grow that and how did you like it? I know they say to use that for Kimchi. SO I hope it grows for me.

Also got my Silver Queen corn, Blus Lake beans, crookneck squash and zuc. Now it's way to wet to plant them all. So I will have to wait some more. I might plant the cabbage in the raised bed.

How's the gardening where you are so far? I would love to see pictures of your gardens.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2011 :  10:37:33 PM  Show Profile
I know that storm Kris. Blew through here too. It wasn't even a Monday! LOL! It was in the low 50's here today. Drove out to check the garden. Dashed in and out with a peak at everything. Brrrr! I'm not planting much this year with not being out there and hopefully moving in June. We have asparagus, rhubarb, and perennial herbs. We have onions and potatoes in the ground and are going to plant Kentucky Wonder pole beans and tomatoes. That will probably be it unless i have the energy to do fall planting. I do want to put in some garlic this year. I'm going to be so busy getting the yard and landscaping back together after the construction. It's looking like I am going to have to figure out dry stacked stone walls and do them myself. Can't find a stone mason to do it. We already have tons and I do mean tons of stone from the old walls we had to move to build the house. Maybe I should suggest a merit badge for that! I'll post a pic of the garden soon.
Connie

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2011 :  11:38:06 AM  Show Profile
It's a beautiful day here after a night of very cold temps. Had the heater on. Now windows are open. April just does not know what it wants to be.

I just planted the 3 packs of cabbage and one of broc. in the raised beds. I hope they will grow. I am having the worst time with cabbage here. And I want to make saurkraut and kimchi.

Now I need to wait for the gorund to dry out to plant my beans and other things. That should have all been planted last week.

Connie, your garden sounds good so far. So you are moving to where the garden is? You'll have to explain. And all those rocks would make great raised beds for veggies. My yard is a big rock pit. Our house was built with all the limestone they dug up from here. I have some piled up in the yard from when they dug up for the septic tank 7 years ago. I'm afraid to move them around now for snakes coming out. I did use alot of the smaller ones for my foundation border. Lots you can do with rocks.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2011 :  6:56:29 PM  Show Profile
I had a cabin on my farm that was less than 1000 sq feet. It was my get out of the city cabin for years. I lived in Nashville, in the city, in a 1920's neighborhood less than 10 min from down town. The cabin was my sanity! Jack, my SE lived in Clarksville, 45 min West of Nashville. The cabin was right in the middle! We ended up living there for 6 years. We want to make a go of making the farm profitable, and to live there we needed more space. So we are adding on to the cabin. Our garden is there. We are living in Jack's huge old victorian house, getting it ready to sell. So I drive out to the farm a couple of times during the week to work and we both go out and stay in the camper over the weekends. It has taken us 16 mos so far. We expect to be finished to move in June. We did not want to have a mortgage so we did it as we could pay for it. The land is paid for. We are both 54 and want to have some years just working on the farm with out outside employment. Having the farm debt free is part of making that possible.

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2011 :  11:41:03 AM  Show Profile
Connie, that sounds great. I bet it's beautiful there. And how nice to have no mortgage payments. Taht will be great once y'all move there. That is the way to do it.

I just planted 20 Rutger tomato plants and 2 rows of beans. My heart us just not in it for some reason. I have a seeder but the ground has already settled after the rains we've had. So it was a struggle to get those 2 rows done. Now I have to go over it with a hoe to cover the seeds. I need to mow but goodness, I just don't feel like it. I will but I don't wanna. I don't know what's wrong with me. And it looks like it might rain again.

kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2011 :  3:19:10 PM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
Kris, what a great looking garden spot! I keep wanting to get my tomatoes in the ground but it has been so stinking windy here that I keep putting it off! Hopefully later this week will work. I know what you mean about not feeling like doing much today, I am feeling the same way, maybe it is contagious! LOL!!

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977
www.calicocandy.etsy.com
http://stores.countrycents.com/StoreFront.bok?affiliate_no=6
Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.
Go to Top of Page

tammyknit
True Blue Farmgirl

135 Posts

Tammy
Reedsburg WI
USA
135 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2011 :  4:58:45 PM  Show Profile
Tomatoes? I was happy to get the peas, turnips, carrots, radishes, and onions in the ground today. Now they are saying 3 to 5 inches of snow between tonight and tomorrow. Luckily, I have some seedlings in the basement under grow lights, mostly peppers and tomatoes. We have only had highs in the 50s for the last week and 37 tomorrow for the HIGH! Come on spring....still waiting

Tammy
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2011 :  7:28:33 PM  Show Profile
I took a nap this afternoon. I only do that about every 4 months or so. Sometimes I just need to. I got up, ate dinner, then mowed the yard. I didn't go walk today but that's a good workout, pushing that mower. It took 45 minutes to get the front mowed. Tomorrow I will mow around the garden and fruit trees and the driveway. I guess I just needed a nap.

Candy, this is an odd shaped garden. It's like a triangle and hard to plant in straight rows. And this year I need to plant wider rows so I can get my tiller through the rows. I always plant too close together. Tomorrow I will get the squash and zuchinni seeds planted.

Hi Tammy. Welcome to the forum. My hubby is up your way. He drives a truck. He's been up there for awhile now. Going from N.D. to Wis. to Ind. He's all over in the snow and cold. I am so sorry y'all are still getting snow. It's hard to imagine snow when it's 80 here. I did have to turn the heat back on this past weekend. It was cold. It goes from cold to hot, up and down. I just don't know what it will do day to day. I am just happy to be able to get outside when I can. I hope it starts warming up there and you can get your garden planted. It sounds like you have a lot to get planted.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2011 :  04:54:30 AM  Show Profile
We are getting a nice rain right now. Should be great for all the plants and seeds I planted. I do believe we will have a little flooding though. It's really coming down hard and fast. I never got the squash and zuc planted. There is plenty of time for that. The rain is hitting the side of the house now. And thunder and lightening going on too.

I hope there was lots of planting over the last few days.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Garden Gate: Previous Topic Sweating, Sunburns.... In the Garden Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page