Cindy Lou
True Blue Farmgirl

2325 Posts

Susan
Lonsdale MN
USA
2325 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2011 :  7:38:29 PM  Show Profile
I am excited about learning to make cheese. I got a culture for Chevre cheese and a gallon of goat's milk. The first step on the directions was to pastuerize the milk. It said to bring the milk to 145 degrees and hold it there for 30 minutes. I had a terrible time trying to maintain an even temp and then went with another option that said to bring it to 161 degrees for 30 seconds so I finished it up that way. If I'm going to make cheese in the future I will need to buy pastuerized milk or do it myself. I went on-line and found the prices of pastuerizers were way more than I imagined! Does anyone know of a source that would be below $295?
Susan

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"
Mary Oliver

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2011 :  05:00:05 AM  Show Profile
Please don't take this wrong, but why would you want to pasteurize the milk? It is full of good beneficial bacteria and enzymes that are good for the gut. I make cheese from my raw goats milk and it's fine. I would save that money then and just buy the milk already pasteurized. There are dairies that only pasteurize the milk and it's pretty good. There's one in Knoxville called Cruze Dairy.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lou
True Blue Farmgirl

2325 Posts

Susan
Lonsdale MN
USA
2325 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2011 :  06:26:33 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, I grew up on a dairy farm and Mom had a pastuerizer on the kitchen counter. I hadn't really thought about using raw milk. I have a second gallon, I'll try that raw.
Susan

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"
Mary Oliver
Go to Top of Page

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2011 :  06:50:23 AM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
I also make all my cheese from my raw goat milk! I have never pastuerized our goat milk, we use it for everything and we haven't had any problems!

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977
www.calicocandy.etsy.com

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4179 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4179 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2011 :  07:30:35 AM  Show Profile
I grew up on raw milk, and now I don't pasturize anything either. I know my milk, equipment, and barn are clean, so I would not worry about it. Just my opinion though.
Michele
Go to Top of Page

paradiseplantation
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

julie
social springs community Louisiana
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2011 :  07:17:21 AM  Show Profile
I know there's a controversy going on of raw vs pastuerized milk, but when dreaming of making my cheeses, I've always gone toward raw. I haven't done it yet, but I'm hoping to get a Jersey within the next few months for fresh milk. This farmgirl cannot afford a pasteurizer, and I think buying pastuerized milk defeats the purpose of having fresh milk to use. If I HAVE to pasteurize for some reason, I think I'll go with the 161 degree method!

from the hearts of paradise...
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2011 :  07:15:59 AM  Show Profile
hi girls, i am so glad i found this thread. i had understood the reason to pasteurize is to kill enzymes not wanted in the cheese. the kit says to pasteurize before making cheddar. this way the correct enzymes for cheddar grow with out competition. i would much rather not pasteurize. i had stopped trying to do cheese. i hated the heating part. i now have a pasteurizer. so girls is it possible to make cheddar and colby cow with out heating? that would be great. learning new things as we go. sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic milk pastuerizer Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page