Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Schools are considering not teaching handwritiing
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Schools are considering not teaching handwritiing Next Topic
Page: of 2

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2011 :  7:10:25 PM  Show Profile
I don't have kids in school, but it seems to me that way too much emphasis is placed upon promoting "self-esteem" among students. Trouble is, when you get a real job, your employer doesn't care one iota about your self-esteem issues. And correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't part of good self-esteem come from being challenged and overcoming that challenge? It just seems to me that kids will feel good about themselves when they have good verbal, math, reading skills upon which all other learning is based. You can bet that the Chinese and the Indian students don't worry about self-esteem--they are motivated to learn because they know that will lead to a better life than many of their fellow citizens. I think the public schools are producing a lot of poorly educated kids who supposedly "feel good about themselves." And when they realize they can't compete with other cultures, they're going to feel pretty bad about themselves. I'm glad my nieces attend Catholic schools and my nephews attend a competitive public school. and I'm glad for the primary education I received at an old-fashioned "country" school.
Cindy

"Vast floods can't quench love, no matter what love did/ Rivers can't drown love, no matter where love's hid"--Sinead O'Connor
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Schools are considering not teaching handwritiing Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page