Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 Worst Place to Live In America For Allergies
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Worst Place to Live In America For Allergies Next Topic  

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2011 :  07:30:00 AM  Show Profile
Is Knoxville, Tn. 2nd was Louieville, Kn. So Knoxville is only 150 miles away from me. No wonder I am suffering so much with allergies anymore. I need to move! My mom lived in S. Ga. for years. I remember when she would come to visit she would start sneezing about Atlanta and the whole time she would be here til she left. Now her and my step dad are living here. She's been doing pretty good so far.

Anyone else have allergies? Mine is seasonal, so mainly in spring and fall is when I am the worst.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

embchicken
True Blue Farmgirl

1487 Posts

Elaine
Ocean NJ
USA
1487 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2011 :  08:35:42 AM  Show Profile
My allergies are pretty bad. Trees and grasses are the worst. I have been trying to eat local honey for the past few years and that seems to help a little. It's funny to hear you say that about your mom starting sneezing when she would visit. Many poeple say that about here also - they never had allergies until they came here!

~ Elaine
"Be the change you wish to see in the world." - Gandhi

embchicken.blospot.com

Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2011 :  08:37:28 AM  Show Profile
Where did Cincinnati, Ohio rank? It's pretty terrible here, especially the humidity and the river. Mine used to be seasonal, but now they're all year round. I usually take a Benadryl every night and then local honey in the a.m.

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2011 :  08:54:41 AM  Show Profile
Jonni, I only heard the 1st three places. The 3rd was in N.C. I'm going to look it up though.

I do eat local honey. In fact, it's from Pigeon Mt. which is right out almost in my front yard. It's the prettiest lightest golden honey. Almost like Tupelo.

I had gone to the allergy clinic a few years back and had all the tests done. Turns out I am allergic to practically everything on a farm. Which is where I live. And it's out in the middle of nowhere too. I was taking prescription meds and the doc wanted me to take shots. Never did. Last year wasn't so bad. But this year has been awful. I tried benadryl first, then Dollar General brand. Then Claritin. They were all ok. But now I am taking Allegra. It's really good.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2011 :  09:01:18 AM  Show Profile
Ok, #3 is Charlotte, NC
4 Jackson, MS
5 Chattanooga, Tn. Which is right up the road from me.
6 Birmingham, AL
7 Dayton, OH
8 Richmond, VR
9McAllen, TX
10 Madison, Ws

So how far are you from Dayton, Jonni?

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Edited by - kristin sherrill on Apr 04 2011 09:01:45 AM
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2011 :  09:07:56 AM  Show Profile
About an hour or so from Dayton, Kris. I don't recall feeling this "cloudy" years ago, but the pollen count here is just awful. I would say Spring and Autumn are the worst, but I do have to take things year round, especially at night.

That honey sounds wonderful! I've thought of going to an allergist, but there's a part of me that thinks, "then they're going to tell me I'm allergic to my dogs and cats, and flowers and wheat and everything else I love, so I'll just keep taking OTC stuff." I'm glad to hear that you like Allegra. I've heard other people say that it's good.

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

rksmith
True Blue Farmgirl

858 Posts

Rachel
Clayton GA
USA
858 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2011 :  6:42:50 PM  Show Profile
I never had any issue with allergies until I lived in Texas and was pregnant...now everytime the weather changes my sinuses get all icky and allergies go nuts. I have found that taking local honey daily helps, as well as bee pollen. We also use ALJ and Histablock. When things get severe (thankfully not too often) I do use OTC stuff, but prefer the herbal route first. We also keep our humidifiers going with eucalyptus/peppermint oils in them. In the peds office where I work, we get lots of new patients with no allergy history who come up with allergies after moving to this area.

Rachel
Farmgirl Sister #2753

Do not ask the Lord to guide your footsteps, if you are not willing to move your feet--Dr. Kioni

http://www.mynsp.com/rksmith
http://madame1313.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Tn.Earthmama
True Blue Farmgirl

451 Posts

Phyllis
Englewood Tennessee
451 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2011 :  05:48:14 AM  Show Profile
Hi Kris, I'm about 60 miles from Knoxville and about the same from Chatt. LOL. I've been sneezing and wheezing for ages, plus we live in a wonderful old house that is soooo dusty. add a couple of cats and a dog, well I think I have my own allergy factory. LOL.

I am trying the local honey, and adding stinging nettles to see if it helps. Hope you are soon feeling better. Phyllis
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2011 :  06:21:30 AM  Show Profile
Phyllis, I want to research stinging nettles. Do you know alot about them? I have heard it's good for allergies. I would like to grow some here if I can. It's been really bad here the past few days. Even with the rain and storm on Monday night. Still bad.

Rachel, all those pine trees sure don't help, do they? Seems like S. Ga. is full of them. In my parent's yard down in Metter, they have lots of them.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

LeighErica
True Blue Farmgirl

306 Posts

Erica
PA
USA
306 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2011 :  07:07:35 AM  Show Profile
I have allegies no matter where we live. Since we have been in Colordado, the sneezing and coughing linger daily, but the worst is my eyes. The eye dr. said it is from the dry conditions and dust...so now I do drops in my eyes 2x a day. When we lived in ND, my allergies would be full blown when it snowed and rained...even driving I would be sneezing very badly. We thought it might be mold or something airborne there too. Somedays I have a tissue stuffed up my nose to catch the flow....don't take medicines for it because they make me tired and I have too much going on to be groggy....sneezing, sneezing, sneezing...it is part of my daily routine;)
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2011 :  07:59:41 AM  Show Profile
My whole family is on bee pollen and local honey. We get both from a honey farm about 45 minutes from here. It has done wonders for us! Just take it slow. You have to start with a very small amount and work up to whatever amount takes the edge off. But bee pollen can really wind you up, so do it in the mornings so you can sleep at night. Otherwise you'll be buzzin like a bee all night! Made that mistake! LOL!

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2011 :  08:13:29 AM  Show Profile
I have to take Allegra if I am going to East TN or North GA. Pine/hemlock are the culprits for me. Every year for years I was sick in January and could not figure out why. I would also get sick, just not as bad, after travel to those two places which I did often to kayak. Finally put two and two together and realized it was the mold on the evergreens and to a lesser extent the pollen. My christmas tree was making me sick!
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

Tn.Earthmama
True Blue Farmgirl

451 Posts

Phyllis
Englewood Tennessee
451 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2011 :  11:53:00 AM  Show Profile
Kris, try looking up Susun Weed, she has lots of info on nettles, and other helpful weeds. she suggests making infusions and drinking everyday. I keep forgetting to do it(you would think with all this sneezing I wouldn't do that) . my short term memory is terrible, I'll think of it and before I get to the kitchen, something else catches my attention. LOL.

you can buy capsules at the health food store, or you can grow your own and make the infusions. start slow, some people have allergic reaction to them too. I bought some seeds, but haven't figured out where to put them yet. we are still laying out beds for veggies, herbs etc. hope you can get some relief soon. hugs Phyllis
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2011 :  1:47:28 PM  Show Profile
Erica, my sister lives there and she has asmah (well, how do ya spell that? I have tried all different ways and nothing looks right. I know there's an h in there somewhere.) Anyway, she is a mess most of the year. Her doctor told her she needs to move back to S. Ga. I hope she does. It's way too far away. Have you tried the local honey or stinging nettle? It'd be worth a try.

Angela, I have heard that people should be careful about the bee pollen, especially if they are allergic to bees. So "bee" careful with that. I do know about the honey. But that's something I forget about too.

Connie, that's awful about your Christmas tree. I guess you have to have the fake ones now. I am allergic to just about everything outside and dogs and cat dander and mold. So far the Allegra is working but I would rather have something natural. I was watching some videos on picking nettles. Very interesting plant for sure. This one guy pulls the leaves off and eats them. They are good for the kidneys, the prostate, a diuretic and all kinds of other things. Just a good plant to have around. I am going to look for a patch next time I am walking on my trail.

Phyllis, I will look her up now. Thanks. I have the same problem!

The pollen is really bad out there today. Everything's got that yellow tint. And I just got home with soem broc. and cabbage plants. And I dug up 2 little Red Bud trees from my mom's yard that need to get back in the ground. And I need to mow again.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2011 :  6:59:57 PM  Show Profile
I'm going to have to try some local honey. Mine have been killing me.

Kris, Asthma :)

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2011 :  04:44:47 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Sharon!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

rksmith
True Blue Farmgirl

858 Posts

Rachel
Clayton GA
USA
858 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2011 :  12:54:45 PM  Show Profile
And I have a huge pine field next to my property, lol...they are everywhere!!

Rachel
Farmgirl Sister #2753

Do not ask the Lord to guide your footsteps, if you are not willing to move your feet--Dr. Kioni

http://www.mynsp.com/rksmith
http://madame1313.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Worst Place to Live In America For Allergies Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page