True Blue Farmgirl

596 Posts

Cheryl
Ada OK
USA
596 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2011 :  10:41:29 AM  Show Profile
Got plans for the summer?

Will you be taking your dream vacation? ~ road trip? a week at that secluded cabin....wait, that's home! LOL

~or~

Are you planning some fun stuff at home, a "staycation"?

We are going with the "staycation" and I am currently making *plans* ~ sometimes, life disturbs my plans, but usually our follow through is pretty good.

Share what you are going to be doing....it will give the rest of us some ideas!

http://theprairiemaid.blogspot.com/

Farmgirls don't have hot flashes ~ They have power surges!

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2011 :  1:59:35 PM  Show Profile
We were just talking about this with our neighbor yesterday, Cheryl! We LOVE doing stay-cations because there is just so much to see and do where we live! We have everything from parks to caves to mines to natural rock formations that play musical notes! We also have many "oddity"-type places to vistit, theme parks, living history museums, farms, science and natural history museums, art museums, theatrical productions, sports parks and exhibits, zoos, arts and crafts programs, manufacturing plant tours, mini golf and lazer tag parks, golf courses, go-carts, ethnic centers and places of worship, gardens, horseback riding, boating, fishing, skiing, hunting, Pirates' baseball - just soooo much! AND sooooo much more! We could probably spend an entire week visiting different ethnic and religious centers and food establishments alone...OR just going from one barbecue stand to another! LOL! And we really, really enjoy different festivals and fairs and activities that the counties and the City of Pittsburgh put on - Ribfest, numerous County Fairs, Piratefest, the Pittsburgh Art Festival, the Renaissance Fair, open air concerts, etc. One town near where my husband grew up does an open air movie for their community once a week - they play the movie on the side of a huge building and everyone comes with blanket and popcorn in tow. I think that is just SO cool! With a little planning, you'll be amazed at all the great stuff you can fit into your "holiday!" And where we live, there are sooo many places you can visit for free, which is awesome! We haven't taken a "real" vacation in abuot 12 years, but with all the exciting things we get to do here in Pittsburgh and surround areas, you would never know it! And there's STILL things we've yet to be able to do! I LOVE stay-cations! They are just SO cool! You get to play "tourist" while gaining a greater appreciation for all your own hometown area has to offer!

One thing we do that I highly recommend is buy a family plan for the Museums. We get into so many different museums locally, not to mention others who participate with them throughout the US! We also get invited to numerous "members only" events, as well as receive substantial discounts on food, merchandise and events not covered under the family plan. And whenever we have guests in town visiting, we've always got a great new place to take them and it doesn't cost us a penny extra over and above our annual membership! It's a great investment! Also, where we live, some of the local history museums have a sticker system, so if you pay for admission to one in the morning, you wear your sticker and can visit another in the afternoon - for FREE!!! My sister-in-law buys the family plan for the zoo, too, so they get to visit many, many different zoos for free, receiving similar benefits as we do with the museums!

If you do a little research and careful planning, you can do SO much on a stay-cation - but why limit it to one or two weeks? Make every weekend feel like a getaway!!!

Happy planning - I am very excited to hear what you come up with, Cheryl! I bet you're going to have a blast!

Hugs -

Nini

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Farmgirl Sister #1974
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2011 :  2:51:52 PM  Show Profile
We have a few festivals and local things we love to go to. We don't usaully do the whole vacation thing. The closest we get is when we spend a week at church campmeeting. It's a week in a tent and goin to bible study meetings. The kids love their meetings of singing and crafts and playing tag and stuff.

We live for our little day trips to see festivals and stuff.

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2011 :  2:51:56 PM  Show Profile
For the last 2 years we have had more of a "stay-cation." We have an RV, and do take little jaunts 2-3 days to local state parks. bazillions of them. My Mom is 92 almost 03 and really doesn't want to travel. She would rather stay at her home and garden during the summer. So, hence the little jaunts...to be close in case she needs us. Now that I am retired, even though there is a lot of work to do around here all the time, I am never bored. Dan however, working as much as he does, enjoys staying in the area also. when we go on our jaunts...we take our 2 dogs and 1 cat. The dogs just love to smell who has been there before them, & Pepper the cat loves to lay on the back of the couch & see if the same birds & squirrels that she chases at home have made the trip with her. My wish is to visit for a longer period of time, Prince Edward Island and Amish country. Not too interested in a lot of traffic.

Buffypuff/ Claudia ~ Farmgirl & Sister #870 ~
"It compliments God to ask great things of Him." ~ St. Theresa of Avila

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13631 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13631 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2011 :  5:34:18 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Crewing the AVON Walk for Breast Cancer event (3 day event) in Dillon/Breckenridge, Colorado with my daughter, who is also in the Sisterhood.
Then we're headed off on the WOMEN OF THE WILD WEST/FARMGIRLS ON THE LOOSE ROAD TRIP!!!
Ya-hoo!!
Yee-haw!!
Wa-hoo!!!
Yippie Skippie!!!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665

From my Heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

From my Hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

From my Hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

embchicken
True Blue Farmgirl

1487 Posts

Elaine
Ocean NJ
USA
1487 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2011 :  6:27:25 PM  Show Profile
We usually hang around here in the summer. I am super lucky because I'm only about a mile from the beach. I alsolove to go t Maine to visit my parents. They are up in St.Agatha, by Madawaska and it is soooo beautiful up there!

~ Elaine
"Be the change you wish to see in the world." - Gandhi

embchicken.blospot.com

Go to Top of Page

Crystal Koelzer
Farmgirl in Training

44 Posts

Crystal
Cosby MO
USA
44 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2011 :  9:50:52 PM  Show Profile
This year we don't get to do anything. My husbands work won't afford us anymore than day trips, which we will spend hiking. We are finishing up our last year in Germany and at the end had planned a big trip to Italy. Call us crazy but we are tired of seeing Europe. Yes it is great to see all the things you hear about but everything is starting to seem the same. And it is always stressful when you venture out, not being able to speak the language. So we are throwing around the idea of next spring taking all that money we are saving for Italy and road tripping across America visiting state and national parks. It is a whole year away but I am really getting excited! We will have a set amount of money and time, which ever runs out first we will head home.
Go to Top of Page

Shi-anne
True Blue Farmgirl

596 Posts

Cheryl
Ada OK
USA
596 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2011 :  11:54:48 PM  Show Profile
Crystal, that sounds like an awesome plan!

I would talk more, but I gotta get some sleep.;)

nite, gals!

Go to Top of Page

Forrester Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

703 Posts

Ann
Belmont MI
USA
703 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2011 :  12:17:47 PM  Show Profile
Staycation for spring break - to save vacation time and $ for a fun trip this summer. I've heard the words "I'm bored" way too much today. Unusual statements from my kids, but it is cold and rainy out, and they aren't too interested in peeling wallpaper from a bedroom wall with me :)!

Ann
Forrester Farm
www.forresterfarm.com
(site, blog & etsy shop)
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2011 :  12:41:22 PM  Show Profile
Turkey hunting with the DH the last week in April. DH is gone for a week to pathfinder's camp in May. I am taking a once in a life-time 2 weeks to join the Farmgirls on the Loose Wild West tour! I will be spending my 50th birthday with my farmgirl sisters at MJF B & B!

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

Happy to be a "Raggedy Ann" in a Barbie World!

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

Shi-anne
True Blue Farmgirl

596 Posts

Cheryl
Ada OK
USA
596 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2011 :  12:52:06 PM  Show Profile
Wow, Diane, I bet you are excited! I hope you have an awesome time.

Ann, I don't blame your kids....I hate cold and rainy, too!

Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6605 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6605 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2011 :  12:59:08 PM  Show Profile
At the end of June I will be going to Denver to visit some of the Farm girls like CJ before they go on their Women of the West/Farm girls on the Loose Road Trip. I am thrilled that I will finally meet some of the Farm girls.
Then July 9th for my birthday my son and I will go to Savannah Georgia which is home to us to visit a Dear Friend who has Cancer, we will celebrate our birthdays together. So I am really looking forward to some fun time with my son and visiting my friend and her family.
I hope everyone has a fabulous summer no matter what their plans are.

Farm girl Hugs,
Debbie
www.etsy.com/shop/CollectThisTreasures

If you are lucky enough to live in the mountains you are lucky enough.
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13631 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13631 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2011 :  7:23:21 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
And, I get to MEET Diane when she joins the WWW/FOTL Road trip! She'll be our "neighbor at the MJF B&B too!!!

AND, I get to MEET my sweet friend, Debbie, who is also a Colorado Farmgirl AND in our Farmgirls Southwest Henhouse!!!!

EXCITING!!
CJ

Go to Top of Page

Joey
True Blue Farmgirl

1868 Posts

Joey
Gulf Coast FL
USA
1868 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2011 :  9:23:26 PM  Show Profile
For 4 years my DH & I travelled the country. I was a travel nurse and 3 stayed 13-26 weeks in each place. I would work 3 12 hr days and we would have 4 days off to sightsee. Best job EVER and truthfully We miss it very much. Almost a year ago we moved to a wonderful place in FL. not far from the beach that always has something going on and we like it here alot but we miss travel. We are here because my Dad is ill & needs us here.
We're busy this summer. The end of June we are 5 days on a mission trip to a poor transient farm community in South FL. In July my 9yo grand-daughter is coming for 2 weeks of swimming, beach, geocache, letterboxing and fishing with us. Sept. my daughter SIL and 2 grandkids (9 and 3yo) & us are going to Disneyworld for 5 days and a 3 day Disney cruise-a long awaited and much planned trip. It's HUGE bucks but we usually camp in a tent and don't spend much the rest of the year. We're all so excited, and I am so happy to get to spend time with my girls. They live on a dairy farm in NC and I don't get to see them often. Life is so short and we will make life-time memories. Joey

Well behaved women rarely make history.
Go to Top of Page

Tammyb
True Blue Farmgirl

511 Posts

Tammy
Bluffton Ohio
USA
511 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2011 :  06:07:16 AM  Show Profile
This year is a stay home and work ....travel to Pa to help our children work on their house kinda summer. We are happy to call our vacation a "workcation". Plus a new grandbaby is coming soon ( June) so we must be there for that!!! It truly is all about what you make your summer time.
Tammyb
sister chick #541

Live to leave a legacy

Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2011 :  06:08:58 AM  Show Profile
Camping

Farmgirl #800
http://momzonetakingtimeformom.blogspot.com/

http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

City Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Deb
Chattanooga TN
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2011 :  08:42:18 AM  Show Profile
We'll be camping throughout the summer. But our *big* trip is with our church up into Canada. We'll take a boat over to the island to stay at a small lodge. We have the option of taking horses to a more secluded cabin if we like during our stay.

But the biggest thing I'm looking forward to, is my entire family (the 4 of us) are all going to be baptized at the same time in the river up there! We're all excited!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Farm Girl #790
http://www.xanga.com/My_Pondering_Place

https://twitter.com/EllieFunt

Go to Top of Page

Shi-anne
True Blue Farmgirl

596 Posts

Cheryl
Ada OK
USA
596 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2011 :  11:09:37 AM  Show Profile
Deb, I would be excited, too! That is so neat.

I love reading everyone's plans....from staying home, working on the house....to the wild women of the west, er I mean Women of the Wild West Tour (sorry, just had to do that...HUGS!), to a Disney cruse, mission trip(s), trip to visit a friend who has cancer.....what a variety of adventures we are all going to have!

I'll say it again, I love, love reading about everyone's summer plans!!!

~ Our own Stay-cation plans ~

We have decided on a couple of "things" so far......we are going to start a Sunday Evening Social Club. The deal is.....a couple of deaths this year, has changed our community (the country road we live on). Dh's cousin died of cancer, leaving her husband who is in his mid 70's. He will have their two youngest grandkids for the summer. They are 8 and 10. Dh's mother passed away in January, she was 92. For the last 2 years his youngest brother had lived with Granny, to help with her care. He is kind of at loose ends now. Then we have a couple of other veterans who show up on a regular basis and usually eat supper with us.

So, why not just plan an evening each week, for anyone who would like to come and enjoy a good meal and lots of good conversation - maybe play a few games, etc. to just come? Everyone will be welcomed. We'll cookout, use the veggies from the garden, make homemade ice cream (we have lots of goats milk!) and the "kids" can play in the pool or go fishing in the pasture.

Another words....we are going to do, what people used to do! No TV, no electronic games....not even a computer will be turned on come Sunday evenings!

Each one of the boys will pick one state park to visit - May through August - 4 boys, 4 months, 4 different state parks.

There is a wild animal park, that receives animals from over populated zoos and from people who at one time wanted to own a tiger or whatever, but lost the desire when kitty grew up type place about 30 miles from us. We are going to work on a food drive and spend some time cleaning pens and volunteering there.

We are going to have "Kids Camp" - all the grandkids, camp-out and stay over at one time twice during the summer. Probably three day stays....that's about all I can do at one, with all of them.

The boys will also be going to church camp and VBS - either as attendees or helpers.

So, we at least now have a plan! Mostly I am excited about our Sunday evening get-togethers. It will be good to get different generations together - it will keep the old ones, young and it will give "roots" to the younger ones.

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13631 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13631 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2011 :  12:26:31 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Hey Cheryl,
tee-hee . . . we have called ourselves the "wild women of the West" . . . and we've called ourselves the "loose farmgirls".
It'll be hard not to . . :) :)
CJ

Go to Top of Page

HookAngel
True Blue Farmgirl

253 Posts

Bren
CA
USA
253 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2011 :  1:13:52 PM  Show Profile
Hey Cheryl... well, being that we live where there is always soooo much going on there is never a dull moment and lots of free or almost free events within 20 miles to go to, we usually do a stay close to home vacation and venture out as money permits. Last year we were very fortunate and with a small financial blessing were able to take 4 days and stay in hotels and hit a different themepark everyday... eat out and laugh alot... just the girls, my daughter and gd and I. The memories we made over that short trip will last a lifetime.
This year we hope to venture to AZ where DS is living and get to the Grand Canyon for a day trip. Other than that it will be a summer filled with local freebie events. Our library here does a fabulous summer reading program for kids with LOTS and LOTS of coupons for free admissions, free food and such as rewards. Also, several surrounding cities have weekly free concerts in the park, or in various venues, then of course there is the beach, which only costs for gas and parking(oh I forgot gasoline is over $4 a gallon, well the beach trips may be minimal ..lol.). We will have a few days filled with our Noah's ARk ministry outings where we all take our therapy dogs to visit the disabled... this is always a rewarding fun filled day. We will do VBS and hope to get invited again to YMCA family camp over Labor Day weekend again. Cheryl i love your idea for sunday evenings!!!!

P.S. Thanks for this thread, it helped me get my head/plans together!

Edited by - HookAngel on Apr 05 2011 1:19:31 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2011 :  8:57:46 PM  Show Profile
I love to take a staycation because our own property is so beautiful and we don't have to hire anyone to take care of the place. We have a pond, waterfalls, koi and great vegetables and herbs. Our state has fantastic stuff to do not very far from home.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

Shi-anne
True Blue Farmgirl

596 Posts

Cheryl
Ada OK
USA
596 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2011 :  2:36:35 PM  Show Profile
Bren, wish me and mine could meet you and Ash at the Grand Canyon! We would have fun. ;)

Bonnie, your place sounds awesome.

You are just "foot loose and fancy free", CJ! I bet you gals have so much fun, you'll have to go home to rest!

Dh is getting all kinds of excited about our Sunday Socials. He was telling one of our "regulars" about our plans last night. Then David (our friend) got enthused. No telling were this adventure will led.

Go to Top of Page

Joey
True Blue Farmgirl

1868 Posts

Joey
Gulf Coast FL
USA
1868 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2011 :  3:00:51 PM  Show Profile
Hi all Bren-the Grand Canyon is one of my favorite places in the world. If you can, take the Pink Jeep tour. It was so very cool.
Shi-anne- Several years ago we moved and I did not want "the same old life in a new place, so we did something similar. After church on Sunday I would make a big pot of soup, sometimes a loaf of bread (or I'd get that from the market) and cut up vegs for a salad. Anybody we knew could just show up. No notice needed. Sometimes it was just DH & I, sometimes I had 10 people there. It was warm and friendly and peaceful and a wonderful way to start a new week. you will enjoy your Sundays so much.
Bonnie-I never thought I go to MI but I was in Miniapolis for a meeting and just liked it so much. They have a busy, nice downtown and I enjoyed getting around easily on the train. I was totally overwhelmed by Mall of America-too much stuff. There is even a store that only sells different kinds of Peanut Butter! I got a jar or PB & bananas for my husb. and he enjoyed it but now we make our own at home. Nice town-good time. (in the summer.) Joey

Well behaved women rarely make history.
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Vacation or "Staycation" Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page