Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Thinking of relocating to Idaho
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Thinking of relocating to Idaho Next Topic  

cynfullypurple
True Blue Farmgirl

190 Posts

Cynthia
Endwell NY
USA
190 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2011 :  07:01:17 AM  Show Profile

Hi Girls!

Currently I live in upstate NY, but have been considering relocating to Idaho. I have 2 brothers and my mom who live there. After not seeing them in 20 years I went "home" in Feb. to reconnect. My mother and I had been estranged for the last 14 years, but it was time to put this behind us and forgive. She just turned 80 and is living in an assisted living arrangement with the early stages of Alzheimer's. My one brother also has MD and it is getting to a point where things are getting worse for him as well and he may be in a wheelchair within the next 6 months. It was wonderful seeing everyone and yet sad at the same time realizing that they may not be around to many more years.

I am torn about moving, as I've lived in NY for the last 30 years and have grown deep roots here and have wonderful friends. It would mean uprooting my 14 year old son from everything he's familiar with as well. One of the biggest problems is that I've been unemployed for the last 22 months and the job prospects in this area are NOT good at all. Everything I've been applying to is out of state and usually on the west coast side; Oregon, Washington, Montana, Wyoming and of course Idaho. I am a librarian with school media certification. I've worked in a public library and a middle school, but would prefer to find work back in a public library setting. I've had some phone interviews, but nothing has come of them. It is a tough job market out there in general, but especially within my profession, but there seems to be more job offerings out that direction. As much as I would like to find work in my chosen field, I am reconciled with accepting work in any area that I can find at this point. I have great skills which can be used in other types of jobs, such as research, organizational, tech and computer savy and great customer service abilities.

I have been praying in earnest about what God would have me do and am trusting him for direction. What I would like from any of you who live in Idaho is feedback about the area, in particular Boise, Nampa and Meridian, but am open to other areas as well. My grandmother was a 5th grade school teacher in Meridian for 35 years. I couldn't get over how much the area has grown!! I want to hear from real people what it's like for them living there, housing, the schools, how they see the employment situation, if you relocated into the area what have your experiences been, etc. I did check out certain things but would rather hear it "from the horses mouth" so to speak

I know this has been rather long, but thank you for taking the time to read what I've written. You can respond here on the sight or even email me privately if you'd like.

Thank you again for any input that can help me in this decision making process

I just love this site and being connected with so many other women of like mind and spirit!!

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."

Farmgirl #2817

Farmgirl #2817

laurentany
True Blue Farmgirl

3259 Posts

Laurie
Patchogue NY
USA
3259 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2011 :  3:26:38 PM  Show Profile
Cynthia-
While I cant offer you 1st hand advice on living in Idaho, I just wanted to let you know that I will be thinking of you and praying that the answer to this difficult descision comes easy to you. I have 2 children ages 10 and 12 and I can relate in the sense of uprooting them from what they know. As adults we can be rational and reasonable with things- it doesnt come so easily to our children.
Good luck with your decision!
Smiles,
Laurie
Farmgirl Sister#1403

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..
Go to Top of Page

adnama
True Blue Farmgirl

171 Posts

inge
fargo north dakota
USA
171 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2011 :  2:58:56 PM  Show Profile
Just wanted to give your posting a bump for the gals that where busy this week and haven't been on line
Go to Top of Page

cynfullypurple
True Blue Farmgirl

190 Posts

Cynthia
Endwell NY
USA
190 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2011 :  6:08:21 PM  Show Profile
Laurie: Thank you so much for writing to let me know you will be praying for me in knowing God's will in this situation. God has really been working in my life the last 3 months and I know the lesson he wants me to learn through all of this is trusting in him to take care of me and not to worry about the tomorrows and let go of the past. I cling to Matthew 6: 25-34. I have been going through Stormie Omartian's book,"Just Enough Light for the Step I'm On" and it is teaching me to live in the moment that I'm in and leave the rest to God. So thank you for your prayers and I'll keep you posted as to what direction he sends me:) You are right about how this kind of decision affects our children. I know my son is having anxiety over it, but again, I just keep praying that wherever God would have us that it will all be good in the end! If it were just me, I think I'd probably already be gone and out with my family:/???

Inge: Thanks for taking the time to read my post and give me the bump! I just love how supportive complete strangers can be to one another on this forum:) Makes me realize the world is still full of good people!!!

Farmgirl #2817
Go to Top of Page

Shi-anne
True Blue Farmgirl

596 Posts

Cheryl
Ada OK
USA
596 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2011 :  7:28:58 PM  Show Profile
Cynthia, I will be praying for you to know the leading of the Lord about the move.

I just wanted to add, even though your son is having a bit of anxiety concerning the move, getting to spend time with and getting to know other family members maybe something that will work in a positive way for him for years to come. I know the first few months may be difficult, but...."all things work together for good for them who love the Lord and are called according to HIS purpose."

May HE direct your path.

Hugs!

http://theprairiemaid.blogspot.com/

Farmgirls don't have hot flashes ~ They have power surges!
Go to Top of Page

YiberryYadeeKarin
True Blue Farmgirl

343 Posts

Karin
Spokane Valley WA
USA
343 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2011 :  1:58:54 PM  Show Profile
Wow! Your post was SO INTERESTING to me!

My mom is a western New York native. She grew up in Jamestown and went to college at Elmira. She went to library school in Wisconsin and then moved to the Inland Empire (Spokane, WA).

I was born and raised here but have lived a few other places while working for the Park and Forest Service and with my ex husband, who is Canadian. (I lived at a nature center in New York as an intern in 1989 -- Rogers Center, now closed (sad!) near Sherburne.

Anyway, about ten years ago I took the library tech program at a community college in Spokane and have been working in nearby Idaho ever since. Since August of 2001 I have been driving a bookmobile around northern Idaho. I am an outreach and bookmobile supervisor. I LOVE my job BUT Idaho is NOT a great place to work! I'm still PT (28 hours a week), the wages aren't that great, and I don't have health benefits, paid time off, or paid sick leave. Sigh.

Working for a library system such as Spokane County would probably be better. I haven't switched partly because I'd have to work evenings and weekends and I'm a single mom to a fifteen year old daughter. Because I only have her every other weekend, and she's with me during the week, I'm not willing to give up that time with her.

I'm not sure what Spokane County has available job-wise right now but here is a link: www.scld.org If you look around you'll find any job postings. I live east of Spokane, in the valley. There are branches in all directions of Spokane.

Feel free to email me any time. You sound like a kindred soul!

Karin =)
Go to Top of Page

cynfullypurple
True Blue Farmgirl

190 Posts

Cynthia
Endwell NY
USA
190 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2011 :  2:50:15 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Karin for the info. I checked the Spokane site, but sadly no job openings. I tried last year for a library position on the AF base there, but nothing came of that. My middle son is in the AF and he and his wife would love to get stationed out there. They are currently in NJ, which is nice because they're only 3 1/2 hours from me so get to see my grandkids fairly often:) I will email you, as I agree we seem to be kindred spirits! It's funny that you were in Sherburne in 1989 because that put us only about and hourish away from one another! I think we will have much to talk about!!

Farmgirl #2817

Edited by - cynfullypurple on Apr 04 2011 3:05:42 PM
Go to Top of Page

knitnpickinatune
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Sherrie
Gardena California
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2011 :  2:51:52 PM  Show Profile
Boy that's a hard choice-calls for a lot of thought and being open to answers. Keep praying on it,and be sure to be open to options.

http://www.mandolinbabe.com

http://www.mandolinbabe.net
http://www.gigulele-bag.net (Zibbet Store)

@MandolinChick on Twitter
mando pickin,uke strummin, & fiddle sawin' Farmgirl #702
Go to Top of Page

cynfullypurple
True Blue Farmgirl

190 Posts

Cynthia
Endwell NY
USA
190 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2011 :  3:08:26 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Sherrie for your support. Yes, I'm keeping all my options WIDE open and seeking God's guidance for sure!!

Farmgirl #2817
Go to Top of Page

SylviaE
True Blue Farmgirl

350 Posts

Sylvia
Wichita KS
USA
350 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2011 :  4:28:05 PM  Show Profile
Cynthia, we lived in Idaho Falls 1986-1989 and loved it. Our son was born there and if we ever decide to leave Texas i feel sure we will head in that direction. I was fortunate to be a stay at home mom while we were there. My husbandwas in the navy nuclear power training program while there. Anyway-we would vote to go back there in a heartbeat!

Sylvia E
Farmgirl Sister #2871
Go to Top of Page

caitlinsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

86 Posts

Kim
St.A Idaho
USA
86 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2011 :  12:13:09 PM  Show Profile
Cynthia-
Hello from Idaho! :) I spent 3 years here during high school (late 90's) and 6 years ago my husband and I moved here. We live in the Idaho Falls area now but up until last month we lived in the great community of Gooding, 30 min from Twin Falls. We have't lived in the Boise area before but have visited. Friends who live over in Boise are having a hard time finding employment and the housing market has really been hit hard in the last 18mo (we are behind the rest of the country when things get bad).
I am a librarian also (well still finishing the degree) and I will tell you that getting into the public libraries can be quite tricky, however it can be done. I have seen multiple job listings throughout the area for public school libriarians over the last couple of years. A lot of areas are experiancing major budget cuts as you can imagine so I think it will be harder here in the next while. However I know of some prossible job openings in the south central idaho area. I could put you in contact with a couple people who would know more. One is actaully head of the CSI library program, an amazing professor and librarian.

We love Idaho. It is a great place to raise a family with lots to do if you are outdoors kind of person. Even in the city most people enjoy outdoor activities. The people here are friendly and outgoing. Community is very important here so you can get involved and established fairly quickly. Please feel free to email me if you have any more questions or if you want those numbers. :)

Good luck on your decision.

www.naturallysimple.blogspot.com
"Live slowly and simply, so that you have the time and space to love deeply and well. Hold your children close, as often as possible. Look deeply into their eyes, speak words of life, love and acceptance into and over them."
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Thinking of relocating to Idaho Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page