vmfein
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Valerie
Dale City VA
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2011 :  06:43:02 AM  Show Profile
I saw this book on Amazon (which is on pre-order sale right now) which comes out on April 14. This women discovers the Little House on the Prairie books and writes a memoir about her then traveling the routes and trying some of the prairie life. It sounds interesting, here is the link and product description of the book.

http://www.amazon.com/Wilder-Life-Adventures-Little-Prairie/dp/product-description/1594487804/ref=dp_proddesc_0?ie=UTF8&n=283155&s=books

Product Description
For anyone who has ever wanted to step into the world of a favorite book, here is a pioneer pilgrimage, a tribute to Laura Ingalls Wilder, and a hilarious account of butter-churning obsession.

Wendy McClure is on a quest to find the world of beloved Little House on the Prairie author Laura Ingalls Wilder-a fantastic realm of fiction, history, and places she's never been to, yet somehow knows by heart. She retraces the pioneer journey of the Ingalls family- looking for the Big Woods among the medium trees in Wisconsin, wading in Plum Creek, and enduring a prairie hailstorm in South Dakota. She immerses herself in all things Little House, and explores the story from fact to fiction, and from the TV shows to the annual summer pageants in Laura's hometowns. Whether she's churning butter in her apartment or sitting in a replica log cabin, McClure is always in pursuit of "the Laura experience." Along the way she comes to understand how Wilder's life and work have shaped our ideas about girlhood and the American West.

The Wilder Life is a loving, irreverent, spirited tribute to a series of books that have inspired generations of American women. It is also an incredibly funny first-person account of obsessive reading, and a story about what happens when we reconnect with our childhood touchstones-and find that our old love has only deepened.
About the Author

Farmgirl Sister #2619

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2011 :  07:26:51 AM  Show Profile
That looks like a nice book to have. I went on Amazon and read about it. I will put it on my list.
nancy Jo

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2011 :  09:31:38 AM  Show Profile
Sounds cute, I think I will get it!

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

textilelover
True Blue Farmgirl

557 Posts

Dianne
Middletown NY
USA
557 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2011 :  02:49:40 AM  Show Profile
I love all the LIW books, so I will definitely read this one! Dianne in the Hudson Valley

Sister #749

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." --Leondardo da Vinci
Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2011 :  11:33:37 AM  Show Profile
Thank you so much for sharing this information. I love the Little House book series.

Farmgirl #800
http://momzonetakingtimeformom.blogspot.com/

http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

pnickols
True Blue Farmgirl

808 Posts

Patricia
Parma Ohio
808 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2011 :  4:36:21 PM  Show Profile
saw this, have it ordered from the library love laura ingalls
Go to Top of Page

alterationsbyemily
True Blue Farmgirl

691 Posts

Emily
Chambersburg PA
USA
691 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2011 :  6:03:15 PM  Show Profile
I really don't like to purchase books so I put it on my paperbookswap.com wishlist. Thanks for this, we are reading the Little house set right now to my three year old. You should have seen the look on her face when I had to explain how someone would eat a bear.

---
Farmgirl #2951
Currently renting-farmgirl wannabe
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2011 :  11:03:49 PM  Show Profile
lol I can tell you the look probably wasn't too much different then when people actually ate bear.

I will never forget a story my aunts (mom's sisters) tell to this day. They grew up eating squirrel brains, and fish, and wild hog, etc, but I even though I know bears are in the ozarks I don't know why my grandparents never killed them for food. But, one day they went to visit my grandpa's brother, and he had killed a bear, and apparently it had just been that day! And blood was every where like a masacare had happened cause the bear was so big. It scared the wits out of my aunts, they thought people had been murdered and they would be too. They were scared to death when they found out it was their uncle had killed a bear for the family to eat! lol haha This was back in the 1930's-1940's. Hilarious I tell you! lol haha And they said the smell was atrocious as well. I don't know if it was true, or if it was their little girls imagination gone wild, when they seen all the blood! lol haha

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

pnickols
True Blue Farmgirl

808 Posts

Patricia
Parma Ohio
808 Posts

Posted - May 29 2011 :  06:06:09 AM  Show Profile
just finished this book, liked it,reminded me of being a young girl so enthralled with Laura's prairie life. our parents took us to see her home in Mansfield one summer
Go to Top of Page

patchworkpeace
True Blue Farmgirl

478 Posts

Judy
Jackson Michigan
USA
478 Posts

Posted - May 31 2011 :  1:21:59 PM  Show Profile
I've added it to my to-read list --- it looks like a fun read!

Success is measured not by the position one reaches but by the obstacles one has to overcome to reach it. Booker T. Washington
Go to Top of Page

kathleenshoop
True Blue Farmgirl

102 Posts

kathleen
oakmont pa
USA
102 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2011 :  08:21:37 AM  Show Profile
This looks tremendous! Thanks so much for the info.

Kathie
http://www.amazon.com/Winner--Best-Regional-Fiction-Midwest-ebook/dp/B004XR50K6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1307026524&sr=8-3

Author, The Last Letter, The novel for every daughter who thinks she knows her mother's story...
Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic prairie book about to come out Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page