Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Dog Park... Merit Badge ideas?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Dog Park... Merit Badge ideas? Next Topic  

KarenP
True Blue Farmgirl

666 Posts

Karen
Chippewa Falls Wisconsin
USA
666 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2011 :  5:29:49 PM  Show Profile
Hopefully MaryJane will allow me to steal her metal badge idea and try to adapt it for our local dog park.
The volunteer committee I'm on, of about 6 very capable women, does the bulk of the maintenance, mowing, snow removal, repairs etc at the park.
A local Girl Scout is working on her gold award and as picked our park to as her project, she is building benches, poop bag dispensers etc.
This got me thinking about how we can get others (families) involved at the park.
The Merit Badge idea might just work.
Poop pickup badge
garbage pickup badge
weed pulling badge
repairs badge
mowing badge
Planting trees badge
Dogs at the park photography badge
Fund raising badge
mileage walked badge (we have a perimeter walking path)
Booth work badge (like at the local fair and other events)

If you have any ideas, please let me hear them!

I do have an home embroidery machine, so I could make up some prototypes.
Maybe this is not a good idea? let me hear your thoughts.
Thanks,
Karen

"Purest Spring Water in the World"

Ace
Photographer & Videographer

126 Posts

Alicia
Pullman Washington
USA
126 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2011 :  6:10:02 PM  Show Profile
Karen,
I love the Girl Scouts! I was a campfire leader for a year and my friend did a project similar to this with the Boy Scouts a few years back. Thank you for all the really great suggestions. I bet the girl working for your local park is getting a lot out of giving back to her community. Here is what the team and I came up with for a 'Park Place' proposal :)

Outpost
'Park Place'

1. Beginner: Go to your local park and pick up a bag full of trash and weed any areas that needs maintenance.

2. Intermediate: Identify 3-5 indigenous trees or plants by their latin and common names.

3. Expert: Contact the park service and ask if you can plant a tree. (This would be great activity for arbor day.) Or ask to paint the metal trash cans to help identify and brighten up the receptacles.

Have you come up with any prototypes? We would love to see what you have thought up!
Thank you for the wonderful contributions.

-Alicia

"Nothing is better for the inside of a person, than the outside of a horse" -Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

KarenP
True Blue Farmgirl

666 Posts

Karen
Chippewa Falls Wisconsin
USA
666 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2011 :  3:53:32 PM  Show Profile
Alicia,
Haven't had time to go thru my embroidery designs yet.
Maybe I'll have sketch up a few first.
Would you do a sash to add them to, or a tote bag or banner? Still open to ideas.
I also thought of tack type pins or small pins you could add to the lanyard that holds your park permit, so you can show off while you're at the park!

Just thinking out loud....

"Purest Spring Water in the World"
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Photographer & Videographer

126 Posts

Alicia
Pullman Washington
USA
126 Posts

Posted - May 01 2011 :  11:35:36 PM  Show Profile
that would be great! You could create a dog bag for your dog park that would probably work and would hold frisbee's, balls, or treats. The lanyard's look great too. You can also get pins (with safe backs) or buttons and could attach them to your dog's collar also.
I like your ideas!
-Alicia

-Alicia

"Nothing is better for the inside of a person, than the outside of a horse" -Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Dog Park... Merit Badge ideas? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page