Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Container garden.....help!!! Next Topic  

sonflowergurl
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Katee
Tampa 'Burbs FL
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2006 :  6:54:59 PM  Show Profile  Send sonflowergurl an AOL message
This year was my first attempt at having a container garden and I've started out "light". I have a bell pepper plant, a grape/cherry tomato and a big tomato plant. The plants aren't doing great, and the "big" tomato plant is dying. It's been hot and not much rain, but I've been watering them regularly (but I really don't think I have too much). The peppers are FINALLY getting teeny peppers on it, and the first round cherry tomatoes are starting to get ripe. Neither of them seem to be thriving though. Any suggestions? I don't see any bugs or anything like that on them. How much sun should they get? Maybe they're getting too much, or not enough. (I recall them being in full sun all day in my childhood gardens...in the hot, dry Kansas summer heat.) My husband suggested just putting them in the ground somewhere, if I go that route, what's the ideal soil type (we have about 20 different growing areas on our lot, from lush to arid)?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I don't want to give up on them, but...

Also, I'm going to be out of town for 9 days later this month, any ideas on what to do to keep them alive? (We haven't been getting our "daily" rainshowers that Central FL is notorious for, if they kick in by then, it shouldn't be a problem.)

Katee

A life without love is like a year without summer.
"Looking Toward the Son"---- http://sonflowergirl731.blogspot.com

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2006 :  05:01:32 AM  Show Profile
I have alot of plants in containers, I hope I can be of some help. One of the biggest problems w/ container gardening is the water issue. First, you must make sure your container is large enough for what is growing in it so the roots have plenty of room. Next, drainage is very important. Do you have large enough drainage holes and either pebbles or some stone under the soil? Usually in containers you need to water more often BUT w/ that being said many people over water. To check your soil put your finger at least 2 inches into your soil, water if it feels dry, it its wet or at least pretty moist, wait another day because you don't want roo rot. I will leave a web-site that helped me. Good luck
www.gardenguides.com/TipsandTechniques/container.htm
www.exploringwomanhood.com/homelife/gardening/fruitvegcontainer.htm

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2006 :  7:15:59 PM  Show Profile
I have alot of plants on my deck in pots this year and they absolutely must be watered every day or else they dry out very rapidly in this heat.Also I do not put any of my potted plant pots directly onto concrete pads unless they are under an overhang. The ones on the deck have air circulation because of the deck boards.The ones on my front porch area are under an overhang , not direct sun.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Container garden.....help!!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page