CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2011 :  7:47:06 PM  Show Profile
This isn't a fun or glamorous topic by any means... But somebody's got to do it! I'm interested in any information you all might have on forms for record keeping on the farm. Especially those related to production and sales. Surely there are some standardized forms out there? Or may be you are really happy with something you devised? How do you keep up with your eggs/chickens, bee hives, crop rotation, yields etc? I'll be moving into farm markets next year and then pick your own blueberries/apples/strawberries/blackberries in 3-5 years. I'm nervous about keeping up with it all.
Thanks in advance for your help!
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2011 :  10:31:14 AM  Show Profile
I would love to learn to keep my own records as well. I need crop production(small scale) and animal records. I will be keepin ducks, chickens, goats, and a milk cow. I want it more for my personal records since I will only be doin roadside sellin. I would love any books people know of that explain record keepin also!

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2011 :  1:15:09 PM  Show Profile
hey Angela, I was hoping I wasn't the only farmgirl that needed help with this. No takers yet. :(
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Go to Top of Page

rksmith
True Blue Farmgirl

858 Posts

Rachel
Clayton GA
USA
858 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2011 :  4:14:41 PM  Show Profile
We just print our own records that we make on the computer. I had a program in the past for keeping up with reptiles that I'm planning to find again and see if I can adapt it to farming. Once I find where I put the disc and get it running, I will let you know how it works. I've seen some programs for farms, but they are all for huge cattle operations and very expensive. I have not yet seen anything for a small or diverse farm.

Rachel
Farmgirl Sister #2753

Do not ask the Lord to guide your footsteps, if you are not willing to move your feet--Dr. Kioni

http://www.mynsp.com/rksmith
http://madame1313.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2011 :  7:42:40 PM  Show Profile
I found an egg production form. trying to attach it. I'm not computer savvy with my new Mac yet .
Connie

Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2011 :  7:48:16 PM  Show Profile
Trying again! http://www.scribd.com/doc/34814337/Egg-Production-Chart-cwk-DR!
Connie

Go to Top of Page

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2011 :  05:32:52 AM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
Connie,

I don't have any good record keeping ideas but I went to the Homestead Revival blog page and it is really cool! She does have a few more record keeping charts under "free downloads." It just amazes me the blogs that people have out there (like Pioneer Woman)!!

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977
www.calicocandy.etsy.com

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2011 :  06:30:20 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Candy. I missed those when i was on scribd. I love the blogs too. I am fascinated with the infp/content and their design. So many variations, so much eye candy!
Connie

Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2011 :  12:50:20 PM  Show Profile
wow. Her blog is great, and those forms seem really helpful!

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

therealshari
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Shari
Beryl UT
USA
235 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2011 :  1:36:44 PM  Show Profile  Send therealshari a Yahoo! Message
Those are pretty good forms. These folks have more forms than you'll ever use. National Sustainable Agriculture Information Services.

Granted, they are the folks who start your ball rolling on Organic Certification. I wish I'd known about their forms a few years ago, as I would have already had my three years transition in hand.

Shari Thomas, back after a 2 year break for heart issues. Ready to get on with life now.Four Country Gals

Edited by - therealshari on Mar 31 2011 1:37:39 PM
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2011 :  3:38:04 PM  Show Profile
Oh my goodness thank you Shari!!!! I did not see all of that when I was on this site weeks ago. I must have been researching something else and had my blinders on. More bed time reading for tonight.
Thanks for the tip!
Connie

Go to Top of Page

therealshari
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Shari
Beryl UT
USA
235 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2011 :  7:17:37 PM  Show Profile  Send therealshari a Yahoo! Message
You're welcome CMac. Next time I'm chased indoors by wind and/or rain, I'll upload some other stuff that will help you, too. It will be on one or the other of my blogs, and I'll be sure to let you know here.

Shari Thomas, back after a 2 year break for heart issues. Ready to get on with life now.Four Country Gals
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2011 :  10:06:55 PM  Show Profile
Shari-That would be awesome. Thanks so much. It has been miserable here cold and wet for days on end. We need the water but I sure could use a day of sunshine. Stay warm and dry!
Connie

Go to Top of Page

therealshari
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Shari
Beryl UT
USA
235 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2011 :  07:53:40 AM  Show Profile  Send therealshari a Yahoo! Message
When it comes to the finances, Bev keeps everything by hand in dual column record books. We record absolutely everything that is purchased (personal and farm) and every thing that is sold on the proper farm record. When it's time for taxes, she uses Turbo Tax and fills in the blanks. We're also a "Neilson" family, so all our purchases are scanned and reported. Not sure what we get out of that... Cindy's in charge there.

Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2011 :  08:22:59 AM  Show Profile
Where can I get a Bev? LOL It will all be up to me. AND, I CAN do it! That's me giving me a pep talk.
Just read the signature line-Glad you are back and wishing you the best of health!
Connie

Go to Top of Page

Sweet_Tea
True Blue Farmgirl

194 Posts

Tara
Newberry SC
USA
194 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2011 :  08:24:04 AM  Show Profile
I keep records for my cattle.. Don't use anything formal.. but, I have index cards for all of them. I have them in numerical order by their ear tag number, when they were born, what vaccines they have gotten, if they fell sick, what drugs were used on them to get them better, when they were weaned, and If i have bought them at a sale, I put their number when I purchased them, then our tag number, the price per pound i paid, their weight and then I start a vaccination record on them.
And when I sell them, I put how much they weighed and how much per pound I sold them for. and If i had a bred cow I put around the date she was bred, and when I should expect her.. and every month I make a list of which numbered cows to watch... I only have one due this month :) and like 5 next month..

~ http://notsosweettea.blogspot.com/

"The air of heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears"
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2011 :  08:45:40 AM  Show Profile
Great info Tara. We won't have cattle, at least not yet. :) I will have chickens and was wondering if folks try to keep up with individual chickens the way you do cattle. They don't have ear tags, obviously. I've seen leg bands on the poultry supplier sites. Someone on here also mentioned getting a different breed each year so you can keep up with their age that way. I'm sure that has to do with egg production since they tend to decrease with age. It was easy to keep up with who was who when I only had 5. 25-30 will be a different matter!
Any advice from the chicken ladies?
I keep an index card on each bee hive already. It lives tacked to the hive in a zip lock with a water proof pen.
Connie

Go to Top of Page
  Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic Farm Record Keeping Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page