Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 DIY breast pads for breasfteeding moms...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic DIY breast pads for breasfteeding moms... Next Topic  

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2011 :  11:45:09 AM  Show Profile
I'm tackling a project this week, cause I'm tired of buying the breast pads that you just throw away. I'm reading on the internet that most people make them out of old receiving blankets/flannel, so I think I'm going to put flannel between two layers of cotton. We'll see how it works!

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com

CurlysQuilts
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Sarah
Northeast Kingdom VT
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2011 :  5:47:55 PM  Show Profile
I made my own out of three layers of flannel. Two didn't cut it. I didn't do cotton, just the flannel, but the cotton would probably be a good idea since the flannel sticks! Youch! I made about a dozen all together.

Also, wash them in a linen bag. I can't tell you how many times I found the things up sleeves and down pant legs. It was frustrating always trying to find them.

Curly's Quilts
www.curlysquilts.etsy.com

“He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.” - Micah 6:8

Go to Top of Page

DeniseMGM
True Blue Farmgirl

110 Posts

Denise
WI
USA
110 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2011 :  06:17:53 AM  Show Profile
It's been a long time since I breastfed, but I made my own as well. I cut a bunch of circles, took two or three at a time and sewed a quick "fold" from the center out (to create a slight concave effect). Then I sewed the as many circles as would comfortably fit in my sewing machine together. I think it took an afternoon to make about 10-15 of them because there's no need to have perfect seams. I left the outer fabric "raw."

In my experience I only needed breastpads the first 3 months or so. After that, I kept them in the diaper bag just in case.

Good luck!

Denise - Farmgirl #1976
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2011 :  08:54:49 AM  Show Profile
Megan, all I did was cut cotton diapers in strips and fold them in three - they weren't bulky, and nobody could "see" them. They were very comfortable and worked just fine. :) Good luck! - Nini

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Farmgirl Sister #1974
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2011 :  09:06:02 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
When I was breastfeeding a farmgirl sent me some LilyPadz and they were the best thing ever! They are silicon curved disks that mimic the shape of the breast. You put them on and they create negative pressure and prevent all leaks! The nice thing is all the breastmilk that you would have leaked stays inside to either be re-absorbed or ready for baby. Also they stay on without any adhesive and are completely reusable. http://www.simplylily.com/product1.html

I was a huge milk producer and if I didn't wear these to bed, then I would wake up to a soaked mattress. Nursing pads never did it for me and I had more embarassing leaks when I tried just regular or even homemade pads.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2011 :  09:47:51 AM  Show Profile
Also if you find the flannel on it's own still leaking through I would put fleece on the bra side (not the skin side) and fleece prevents wicking. So it will keep all the milk in the flannel and won't go through the fleece to your bra. I know fleece sounds really hot, but I can't imagine how hot the disposable ones must be. They look so uncomfortable, that even though people bought them for me, I was never able to bring myself to use them! The flannel ones yes!

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

maggisandiego
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

maggi
MICHIGAN Pennsylvania
USA
1 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2012 :  12:30:20 AM  Show Profile
HI, I have used lilypadz which are good for baby mom. It’s true that they stand for only 3-4 month after that you have buy them again, one more thing about it lily padz should be used with sticky lubricant which stick with breasts.

Edited by - maggisandiego on Jul 13 2012 12:33:29 AM
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2012 :  09:36:05 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Just thought I would mention that when I was nursing, a farmgirl gifted me with a set of LilyPadz which are silicon breast covers- due to negative pressure (think that is how they put it) they stop leakage! 100%! No more wet pads or leak throughs. And better yet- they keep the milk inside you for the baby instead of just absorbing the leaking. They are amazing and around $20. They are completely reusable. You just rinse them off in warm soapy water and they are ready to use again. They naturally mold to your breast and stay without adhesives. They are awesome....
http://www.lilypadz.com/

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wff7Xpc/]

[/url]
Go to Top of Page

cori1312
True Blue Farmgirl

64 Posts

Leslie
Fairborn Ohio
USA
64 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2012 :  1:19:58 PM  Show Profile
I used Lilypads too, and I have to say one added benefit that I didn't expect is the coolness of the silicone feels very good against tender nipples when you're a new mommy! They warm up, of course, but when you first put them on they're wonderful.

"You don't have a soul; you are a soul. You have a body." - C.S. Lewis
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic DIY breast pads for breasfteeding moms... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page