Crystal Koelzer
Farmgirl in Training

44 Posts

Crystal
Cosby MO
USA
44 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2011 :  04:05:19 AM  Show Profile
In about one year my husband and I will be moving back closer to our family. We will actually be buying some land from my grandparents to start our own little farm. We plan on having a garden, chickens and honey bees. The more that I talk about what I want to do the more excited my husband is getting. Now he wants to stay home farming too. Can we survive this day and age without either of us working? I really want him to do what he loves and want to figure this out. Thanks for any suggestions!

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2011 :  07:57:14 AM  Show Profile
If you have enough land to be self sufficient or at least mostly that way you can keep your bills to a minimum.

Wood heat helps a lot, especially if you can cook on wood as well. Wood cookstoves are tricky to get used to.

You would need to find a cash venture, selling eggs, meat, veges, maybe an orchard, something. You can also sell made products, sewn items, desserts to local restraunts, cookies to privately owned gas stations, things like that. Some smaller restraunts are willing to buy veges from local growers as well.

You can also really cut down your outgoing cash by putting in solar panels, windmills, a well for water, and a septic tank.

You will also need storage for your food stocks, root cellar, dry cellar, and canned goods room.

A greenhouse might be a consideration for year round growing. If it's underground with only the roof portion above there is little heating required and it stays fairly cool all summer with proper venting, so lettuces are possible in the summer.

There are tons of options and they all only require a little creativity. If you are building from scratch you need to think long and hard about your plans and start off with a finish idea so you can build towards it from the begining more than rebuilding for it later.

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

nabrown42
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Nancy
Caneyville KY
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2011 :  08:11:06 AM  Show Profile
Angela, I never heard of an underground greenhouse. What a fantastic idea! Do you have one or have you just read about one? Our KY house has propane heat but it is seldom used because there's a fantastic wood stove in the living room that can blast you out of the house with the heat it throws out and you can cook on the top of it if the need arises. It's a Vermont stove and there's lots of fallen wood on our 39 acrea of which at least 14 are heavy woods. The ice storms of a couple of years ago felled enough wood for several seasons of use.
I've baked for others over the years and am able to supplement out income. There's a little cafe in the 1 stop-light town near us that might be interested in my bread or pies. If we get chickens, I want brown egg laying ones. People seem to buy them more than the white even though there's really no difference in them other than the shell color. An herb garden will help suppliment out income, too. These ventures and our pensions should keep us afloat, just not on the Queen Mary.

"I've wept in the night for the shortness of sight that to someone's needs I've been blind; but I've yet to feel a twinge of regret for being a little too kind."
Go to Top of Page

Shi-anne
True Blue Farmgirl

596 Posts

Cheryl
Ada OK
USA
596 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2011 :  1:18:07 PM  Show Profile
You should be able to sell honey from your bees. It sells well and you could have a little vegetable/fruit stand or sell via a co-op.

If you are willing, there will be a way.

http://theprairiemaid.blogspot.com/

Farmgirls don't have hot flashes ~ They have power surges!
Go to Top of Page

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2011 :  6:58:14 PM  Show Profile
Crystal, I would research the area before you get down there. Is there a community that would be open to joining your farm as a CSA, or are there farmer's markets? Are there organic stores that might want any products you create from your farm. These ventures will bring you a good source of money. If people like grass fed beef, honey, organic crops, etc, these are things you can hone in on and make work for you. Good luck!

~*~Dream all you dreamers~*~

View My Work:

art/dolls: www.vagabondcreations.blogspot.com

The Horse Drawn Project and Farming!
www.beyondvagabond.blogspot.com

View the blog and radio show!
Renegade Farming!: www.therenegadefarmer.com

N
Go to Top of Page

Crystal Koelzer
Farmgirl in Training

44 Posts

Crystal
Cosby MO
USA
44 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2011 :  10:57:17 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the suggestions and support. Initially we are going to build a pole barn and turn part of it into a house. Then we can save money for a few years before we build our house. The house payment is the biggest factor for whether he can stay home or not. I think he should find seasonal winter work to supplement.

He read the self-sufficiency book by Storey, that is where all his ideas are coming from and desire to stay home. He wants to do just about everything in the book. Even have a few pigs for butchering!

I am sure when the time comes we will figure it out. Thanks again for the suggestions. I would love to hear more about the greenhouse too.
Go to Top of Page

paradiseplantation
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

julie
social springs community Louisiana
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2011 :  04:54:38 AM  Show Profile
Crystal - Of Course it can be done, you just have to be inovative. Although I have a job outside the farm, I've managed to be able to only work one day a week. DH has his own business and does travel some for that, but is also able to stay on the farm and work as well. We sell eggs and hay right now, but both of us also do small odd jobs from time to time that add to our income. This year, we're planning on selling veggies. I've done it before as a direct farmers market (they place an order, I deliver) and it's worked well, but I've had to keep my customers at a miniumum. Bees and their honey are definitely a good idea, as well as any farm based product (soaps, candles, weaving, spinning, jams, jellies, etc.). Actually, if you stop to think about it, the sky's the limit. Just take into consideration any laws, certifications and requirements you may have to follow. If your area allows it, you could also sell seedlings you've started in your greenhouse. Here, we just have to be licensed to sell plants, but it's not hard to get and not expensive. Good luck to y'all. And keep us posted on how it goes!

from the hearts of paradise...
Go to Top of Page

vmfein
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Valerie
Dale City VA
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2011 :  07:56:56 AM  Show Profile
You might want to check what is already available in the area that you will be living in. Also what isn't available either in order to see what type of things you can sell and at what price. Where most of my family lives there are no farmer markets as the farmers either sell a little bit of their own corn to the locals, the farmers wives have their own garden as well as the other local wives. While most of them have their own garden and do canning, not a lot of them make jams or jellies. It may take awhile to find out what locals might want and what price they are willing to pay for. Some people may purchase more of the unique items that they can't readily get while others may want to buy of the common day items. It just all depends on the area. You can always start small on a few items to see how it goes so that you can find out what works best. Of course you will want to look at any laws as well especially for selling the food items to ensure you are in any compliance. I do recommend with the others to see if there is a local store that may sell some of your items, if you don't want to do that part yourself (also it may give your product more of a forefront if it is at a store the locals go to anyway). Or if you want to sell it all yourself put in an advertisement in the local paper when you have enough supplies to sell. You can always see what other towns around the area may want to purchase as well. This way you may find either a different market or more demand for your items. One thing you may want to think about is health insurance. My family members who are farmers their wives have to work off the farm in order for them to afford the health insurance. However since it appears you may not be using the tractors and such and if your in good health perhaps that isn't something you will need. Also with the internet you can advertise more and perhaps even sell some of your honey to others outside of your area. As having various family members who are farmers, will there maybe some bad times (due to weather or in their case the market price) there will also be good times as well. At least with the honey and chickens you wont have to depend too much on the weather. You may want to see if you can talk to some of the people who will be your neighbors to get their advice on things as well. They may know people that can help you in starting out or get word of mouth for your products as well. Plus they may know alot about the land that is there as well. Anyways sorry for the long post, when purchasing any type of property there are a lot of things to think about.

Farmgirl Sister #2619
Go to Top of Page

KD Earthwork
True Blue Farmgirl

210 Posts

Katie
Gualala Calif.
USA
210 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2011 :  08:58:58 AM  Show Profile
Hi Crystal,
We have been developing property and are trying to farm full time as well. You can read about us on my website http://www.rosemancreekranch.com . Gene Logsdon has said if you are mortgage free you can make a "living" farming. We still after five years of developments( house, barns, chicken coop, gardens, fruit trees) still are working outside to make ends meet . We will be mortgage free in five more years and will be good for sure by then. Joel Salatin is a really good read, "Pastured Poultry for Profit". Also though my husband is not that into the farming vision and although he helps a lot on all the projects, it would be different if he was 100% involved.

I also think it's a lot about your market- Are you near a larger city where there's an active Farmers market ? Go talk to the farmers ? One article I read recently on www.homegrown.org thought about $30,000.00 a year was realistic income after expenses for a small farm. But your life also get less costly, producing most of you food, can you live with one car ? Not so much gas consumed, Can you grow or hunt for your own meat ?

Good Luck!
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2011 :  4:30:30 PM  Show Profile
The answer is YES, but you MUST plan, plan, plan! You may not immediately be able to quit 'work', but you can make it your goal. Chickens are easy keepers and a must, in my opinion. Once they begin setting their own eggs, you can keep the hens and butcher the boys...in the meantime, you can eat eggs. What a perfect animal.

I got some rabbits for their poop, which I use straight in the garden. I feed them almost exclusively weeds and hay in the spring and summer, which they turn into fertilizer (poop). Easy! We grow most of our own veggies from seed and can or freeze them. I bake all of our bread products.

It is going to take you some time...you won't be a homesteader overnight. You will find things to be more difficult than you originally thought. You will discover so many things! I wish you luck. Get debt-free ASAP. That's what we're doing right now, and girl, I CAN'T wait!!! When I'm debt free, I will easily be able to get by on about half of the income we're bringing home right now.

This will take time, but it will be worth it. Just remember not to get 'too big, too fast'. The demise of many a small farm!!!

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Crystal Koelzer
Farmgirl in Training

44 Posts

Crystal
Cosby MO
USA
44 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2011 :  10:29:22 PM  Show Profile
Oh my, y'all are making me so excited! And I can't even start yet. Amanda you give me hope. Currently we are debt-free, won't be staying that way when we have to build. Right now the hubby and I are throwing the idea around of building a pole barn first and turning part of it into living space. Staying there a few years and save to build our house. Pretty sure that we can build the barn and living space without getting a loan. The first year just because of time we will only be able to put in a garden and build our barn. I am not sure of chickens, what time of year you get them. The bees will have to wait until the following year, so we will get everything ready for them over the winter. I plan on starting with 1-2 hives and maybe add more each year.

We do have a farmers market about 25 minutes away. I have never been to it because it started after I moved away. We are going home next month for a visit and to start the ball rolling on things. Hopefully they will have already started up by them.

Valerie we will have insurance. My husband is currently active duty military but when we move he will be switching to Guards. So he will do the one weekend a month and two weeks a year. I will have to look into the laws on selling food, that is a concern I have. Like was thinking about if we get a cow what to do with the extra milk. I want to learn to make butter and cheese. But is there any laws prohibiting it? Will have to figure that out.

I have got my vision in my mind. It will take time and hard work, both I am willing to put in. Thanks ladies.
Go to Top of Page

Cibola
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Remi
Ellensburg Washington
USA
50 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2011 :  8:00:32 PM  Show Profile
Good luck with your new adventure! I envy you.

Farmgirl: cibola

"When you get to the end of your rope, you tie a knot and hang on."
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2011 :  5:11:37 PM  Show Profile
The bill that sets us thinking each year are the taxes. Here we have no way of controlling what they will be until the town sets the tax rate. Our taxes have slowly climbed each year of our ownership.

We are foster parents for special needs adults. this allows me to stay home and work on the farm and take care of the children.

Best wishes figuring out your path.

Holly

Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2011 :  11:04:28 AM  Show Profile
Re: Crystal,

I think building a livable "apartment" in the barn is a great idea, and I will probably do it myself if the property I end up with needs a house.

For one thing, when your house is done, you have a WHOLE 'nother living space if you need to take in a relative later on, or a hired hand, or even rent it out to a tenant that needs space for a horse as well (It's nearly impossible for a young person with a horse to find an affordable place to live AND keep their horse.) If you are in a position to rent, a few hundred a month income from the apartment would really offset some expenses!

Also on a practical front, an insulated stall that shares a wall with your barn apartment would also soak up some of your "house heat" and be a great place for a livestock nursery, and the plumbing/electric already in place would make your barn even more valuable.

Failing the living space, living out of a travel trailer/rv while building a house may also be an option.

After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2011 :  11:18:12 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by msdoolittle

I got some rabbits for their poop, which I use straight in the garden. I feed them almost exclusively weeds and hay in the spring and summer, which they turn into fertilizer (poop). Easy!

FarmGirl #1390

After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2011 :  11:37:52 AM  Show Profile
Sorry for the double posts, I dont see a delete or an edit feature
Here is something I actually meant to say:
quote:
Originally posted by msdoolittle

I got some rabbits for their poop, which I use straight in the garden. I feed them almost exclusively weeds and hay in the spring and summer, which they turn into fertilizer (poop). Easy!

FarmGirl #1390

I'm curious what other uses you've found for rabbits apart from the poop crop. I've read and been told that the meat is not of much food value and it seems like it would be really difficult to use the meat yourself or to market it. Or do you sell the babies as pets?

Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2011 :  12:28:56 PM  Show Profile
I've actually heard the opposite about rabbits that they are good for meat. You would want to get meat rabbits though, you wouldn't want miniature or holland versions of rabbits you would want the full size ones. The kind I've seen raised around here are like 40 lbs, plenty of meat! And I know a lot of people who love the meat!

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2011 :  3:36:01 PM  Show Profile
The issue I've heard is that rabbit meat doesn't have a lot of actual nutrients for body fuel. The way its been stated to me is that a person could starve to death if they ate nothing but rabbit, but if that was true, you'd think it would be a diet revolution waiting to happen.
My 8 year old's plan this year (while I was talking about ducks) was to raise rabbits for eggs (cadbury) LOL! failing that, I'm curious what the furry little hoppers contribute to a farm bottom line besides cuteness.

Go to Top of Page

oneacrefarm
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

4 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2011 :  8:13:56 PM  Show Profile
Dusky,

Rabbit is an extremely healthy meat. Low in fat, cholesterol, etc. High in protein. The problem with rabbit meat is that is has TOO LITTLE fat. Your body needs a certain amount of fat to run on. If you lived exclusively on rabbit meat and nothing else, eventually you would be suffering from malnutrition, they used to call it "rabbit starvation". Eaten with grains, vegetables, fruit, etc. it is a healthy and nutritious alternative to other high fat meats. It costs much less to raise a pound of rabbit meat that any other meat. rabbits are quiet, fairly stink-free (if you do your job) and take up less space than any other livestock out there besides chicken. They are easy to dispatch and clean and will provide you with food all year long if you house then properly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
www.oneacrefarmrabbits.com
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2011 :  03:54:57 AM  Show Profile
Also, one of the ladies around here grows turkeys an sells them at thanksgiving time (She takes them to the butcher). She makes quite a bit of money that way-it helps them through the year.

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

nabrown42
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Nancy
Caneyville KY
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2011 :  06:11:53 AM  Show Profile
Megan, love your blog! I haven't seen violet jelly since my former mil and I used to make it back in the 60's. I'd sit jars of it and wild strawberry jelly on the window sill so that the sun could shine through them. What a beautiful sight! Before we bought our place in Caneyville, KY, we looked at property in your neck of the woods. Boy, KY is one gorgeous state!

"I've wept in the night for the shortness of sight that to someone's needs I've been blind; but I've yet to feel a twinge of regret for being a little too kind."
Go to Top of Page

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2011 :  08:21:38 AM  Show Profile
Good Luck Crystal! Down here they sell frying size rabbits at the farmer's market. I also saw it in my grocery store for...you won't believe it...$8 a pound! I've read up on raising meat bunnies and it's the most cost effective way to raise your own meat.

I agree with the others about planning. For an orchard it takes about 3 years before producing. I would at least continue working for 6 months to get a real good idea of what you'd be willing to sacrifice and live without in able for both of you to stay home.

~FarmDream is Farmgirl Sister #3069

Live Today, Cherish Yesterday, Dream Tomorrow

http://naturaljulie.etsy.com
http://julie-rants.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2011 :  09:05:12 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by walkinwalkoutcattle

Also, one of the ladies around here grows turkeys an sells them at thanksgiving time (She takes them to the butcher). She makes quite a bit of money that way-it helps them through the year.

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com

You know I never thought of that, but you're 100% right... there's nothing better than an organic farm bird. *adding to the notes*

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." ~Gandhi

"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

Crystal Koelzer
Farmgirl in Training

44 Posts

Crystal
Cosby MO
USA
44 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2011 :  11:27:26 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the suggestions ladies. We had considered raising a few turkeys to eat, never thought about selling them. That would probably go over real well. I don't know that I want anything to do with rabbits, they are too much of a pet to me, not that I have ever had one. As of right now we are thinking about building our barn first and living in part of it for a couple of years. We will be able to pay cash for that and save like crazy to build our house. My husband is a computer guy and is wanting to start his own business.

There is so much to think about and plan for...
Go to Top of Page

smiley
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

lea
pea ridge arkansas
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2011 :  06:52:16 AM  Show Profile
Jen I loved your quote from Will Rogers! Sorry girls, I know that had nothing to do with the topic. Crystal the thing that keeps my hubby from quitting his outside job is insurance. He says we cant afford to risk not having it. Might check the "hidden" things.
Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Can we survive? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page