Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 need an easy newbie Idea to learn my machine
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic need an easy newbie Idea to learn my machine Next Topic  

Sacredwind
Farmgirl at Heart

9 Posts

Kimberly
Osage City KS
USA
9 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2011 :  11:55:56 AM  Show Profile  Send Sacredwind a Yahoo! Message
HEllo everyone,

I was given a sewing machine for christmas about 8 or so years ago, It did make it out of the box but has never been used. My FIL who does upholstery was going to show me how to use it but never did. I have just pulled it out and dusted it off. I have a room that I am going to use for my sewing/craft room and will be adding a spinning wheel in the next couple of months.

I need a very simple project tht will get me used to using the machine. Its a very simple mahine, nothing fancy, just sweing.

If anyone knows of some free patterns online somewhre with something simple I would appreciate it. I dont have the funds right now to buy any fabric bt I have some old sheets and cloths that I can reporpose. I would eventually like to be able to make purses/handbags, aprons, and maybe even design some of my own farmgirl cloths someday. Any advise is apreciated.

nut4fabric
True Blue Farmgirl

885 Posts

Kathy
Morgan Hill CA
USA
885 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2011 :  1:31:25 PM  Show Profile
Start with something simple like an apron, they are pretty basic and don't take much fabric either. Pillows are also simple first projects
Kathy
Go to Top of Page

KarenP
True Blue Farmgirl

666 Posts

Karen
Chippewa Falls Wisconsin
USA
666 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2011 :  6:46:22 PM  Show Profile
Or maybe just a pillow cases!
I'd use a purchased one for a reference.

"Purest Spring Water in the World"
Go to Top of Page

HollyHobby
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

Holly
Astoria NY
USA
78 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2011 :  05:28:27 AM  Show Profile
Try a pincushion! It's like a mini pillow, but alot quicker.

SewMamaSew is a great website and has a lot of free tutorials. It's www.SewMamaSew.com
Go to Top of Page

alterationsbyemily
True Blue Farmgirl

690 Posts

Emily
Chambersburg PA
USA
690 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2011 :  06:40:01 AM  Show Profile
For my sewing students, I will draw lines on papers and with the machine unthreaded, they have to follow the lines. This helps with machine control and getting used to the movement of the fabric, not the machine. You can't pick the needle up and if you try to move too much into a curve you will rip the paper. It is a great tool to gauge students and their abilities quickly. I love making pillows, just simple squares and circles, then branch out to appliques and zig zag stitches. Once you master that you could make a simple quilt. I started out in those to learn my straight lines, after that I would get clothes at the thrift store and make them my size. After you understand how things get put together and the curves of their seams you can start making clothing.

This was the process that I learned, and I use with all my students.

---
Currently renting-farmgirl wannabe

Edited by - alterationsbyemily on Apr 13 2011 06:40:30 AM
Go to Top of Page

Read2me
Farmgirl in Training

31 Posts

Jennifer
Cato Wisconsin
USA
31 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2011 :  11:11:08 AM  Show Profile
I agree with Emily - start out sewing pre-drawn lines on paper. I started my daughter with this. Then we moved on to a pillow case to match her room. Pillowcases are great - straight seams.
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic need an easy newbie Idea to learn my machine Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page