Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Embroidery for Merit Badge
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Embroidery for Merit Badge Next Topic  

BalancingAct
True Blue Farmgirl

297 Posts

Jackie
Hoosierville
USA
297 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2011 :  7:26:51 PM  Show Profile
Hi! A few questions for anyone out there who has some answers for me. I'm mulling over how I'm going to complete all my embroidery levels. Haven't started yet, but thinking of how to accomplish before I start. For the first level; can I come up with my own idea of a "sampler"? I have one in mind. If I am to keep it and hang it in my house, it needs to match my interests and personality. For the second level; ditto on matching my interests and personality of my kitchen. For the third level; well.....no offense to anyone....but I really, really do not like the Vitamin Ball "critters", and do not relish the idea of embroidering them. And even if I did embroider them, I don't know anyone who would want them after I'm done. Therefore they would probably end up at Goodwill. Anybody with some good advice?

#8206;"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2011 :  07:34:48 AM  Show Profile
hi jackie!
im going to take a stab here since nobody else has chimed in- i just went back to read the badge "requirements" and i truly think that the beginner level at least you can make any type sampler you want-the part of future generations means that your ancestors would enjoy them and learn from them!
and the basic idea of the whole thing is to learn and experiment and show that you have mastered the skills!

i must confess that i have yet to acquire the idea book so i haven't seen the vitamin ball critters....

embroidery by hand has become one of the lost arts and the concept is for learnin and pride of accomplishment.....have fun with it!!!

if i am truly waaaaay off base im sure a more knowleded experienced farm gal will chime in to set us straight!

question for you--were you a Girl Scout ever?????

Farmgirl # 2139
~*~ counting my pennies and biding my time; my dreams are adding up!~*~
Go to Top of Page

Kevin
Video/Merit Badge Farm Boy

152 Posts

Kevin
Pullman WA
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2011 :  10:23:22 AM  Show Profile
Hi Jackie,

It's perfectly fine to come up with your own design all that matters is that your project equates to the same amount of work. Thanks for helping out Margo, you were absolutely right.

-Kevin

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."

-Robert A. Heinlein
Go to Top of Page

BalancingAct
True Blue Farmgirl

297 Posts

Jackie
Hoosierville
USA
297 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2011 :  4:35:00 PM  Show Profile
Thank you Margo and Kevin! I am happy to hear that. Now I can't wait to get started!

Margo- Yes! I was a Girl Scout! Matter of fact, I've been toying with the idea, lately, of becoming a local troop leader. I'm curious. Why are you asking?

Farmgirl Sister #2851 -"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

KanMogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Katherine
Rock Kansas
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2011 :  5:07:29 PM  Show Profile
Oh good, because I don't really want to do the tea towels. I am emroidering some patches for a quilt that I hope will work for a level. I am using coloring pages from the internet of gnomes. I print them on sew-on fabric you can run through a printer. It is muslin like.

I would rather wear out than rust out.----Richard Cumberland
Go to Top of Page

BalancingAct
True Blue Farmgirl

297 Posts

Jackie
Hoosierville
USA
297 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2011 :  5:14:15 PM  Show Profile
Ooooh! Katherine, I can't wait to see!

Farmgirl Sister #2851 -"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

Vintage Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

70 Posts

Sue
Woodbine Maryland
USA
70 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2011 :  7:08:55 PM  Show Profile
I LOVE the idea of embroidering me some garden gnomes!!! Please post pictures, Katherine - I can't wait to see what you did :)

"If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun" - Katharine Hepburn

www.mymotherspearls.me
Go to Top of Page

coffeemom
True Blue Farmgirl

160 Posts

Melody
Carlinville IL
USA
160 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2011 :  09:17:25 AM  Show Profile
A very good place for a little "different" embroidery patterns is stitchinfingers.com. They have excellent service, and will help you if you need it.
Happy stitching from an "old" embroiderior. (See, I am so old, that I forgot how to spell embroide......ha ha ha. Actually, I'm not even sure that's a real word!!!!)
Melody
Farm Girl #833
Go to Top of Page

TeresaJ25
True Blue Farmgirl

975 Posts

Teresa
Medford NY
USA
975 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2011 :  10:08:31 AM  Show Profile
I am so glad you asked that question Jackie! I had been wondering the same thing myself. I embroider towels all the time and I just thought mine wouldn't count!

~Teresa
Farmgirl Sister #1348

*Anyone can criticize and complain and predict doom and gloom.
Be the person who fills the room with sunshine!
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2011 :  10:13:47 AM  Show Profile
Katherine, Where did you get you sew on fabric. The stuff I've found is way to stiff and I like the idea of it being more muslin like.

thanks,
Laurie

http://www.inntheorchardbnb.com/
Go to Top of Page

alterationsbyemily
True Blue Farmgirl

690 Posts

Emily
Chambersburg PA
USA
690 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2011 :  6:23:28 PM  Show Profile
For a sampler, I will design it on an piece of paper within an 8 x 10 area (marked on the paper), or multiple papers depending on the size frame I will use. I use ones I see on ebay, etsy where-ever as inspiration. I draw with pencil and then when I am happy I do a fine tip permanent marker. I then take a tea towel and iron it with HEAVY starch. You can also use muslin that you find at Joann but I like teatowels because of the large weave. I lay the tea towel over the design and using a REGULAR #2 pencil trace the design onto the tea towel. You can then start your needlework. Just a tip make sure you use a blunt needle and not one from the multipacks. This will help from splitting the threads in the towel. The pencil does rub out a bit when the hoop is placed on but its not too bad.

If you have any questions you can message me or post on here.

---
Currently renting-farmgirl wannabe
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Embroidery for Merit Badge Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page