Printer Friendly
Author Holidays: Previous Topic How do you celebrate Easter? Next Topic  

Nancy Dawn
Farmgirl in Training

46 Posts

Martin Ga
46 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2011 :  10:15:35 AM  Show Profile
What are some Easter traditions you share with family and friends? Do you let the kids have a new bunny or duck, have a egg hunt, big family get together, attend Sunrise services at church?

Ecc. 4:12 ...a strand of three cords is not quickly broken.

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2011 :  6:12:43 PM  Show Profile
Wow! What a great question, Nancy!

The week before Easter, our town holds a HUGE - I mean HUGE - Easter Egg hunt for the kids in one of our parks. They fill a gagillion plastic Easter eggs with candy and toys and "winner" tickets for HUGE filled baskets, and throw them out in the field. The hunt really consists of gleaning as many eggs as you can and then "hunting" to see if you have a winning ticket. Everyone has a ball. They do this by age level - toddlers first, 5 - 7 year olds and then 8 - 10 year olds. The students from the high school volunteer to help fill and cast the eggs as well as clean up as part of their required public service for graduation!

Here at home we make panorama eggs for everyone we know - old and young alike. I started making them with my Sunday school class years ago, and it has just been a tradition that "stuck." The kids, most of whom are grown now, still request it every year. I think the memories of sucking icing out of the tubes and eating any sugar crumbs that fall are what they enjoyed most, actually, but they still come back, and every year it's a fun time of reminiscing, catching up and introducing the younger kids to the craft. :) This year, if all goes as planned, my brother and his family will come for Easter, and we'll be showing all eight of them how to make them for the very first time!

We also do the colored eggs with the younger kids in our life, always ending up with a muddy Easter Egg hunt in the back yard - they love it. It always ends up in an egg fight, with shells and egg whites and yolks everywhere, but the kids always pick up the mess with the dog as a willing helper to guide them! LOL!

When our son was little, every year we would venture out to the local egg farm for the Egg Festival. As a matter of fact, that's where we got our doggie from! They always have a wonderful tour of the facilities where you learn every aspect of the process, lots of crafts and fun activities for the kids to participate in, a neat little local craft show, a place to learn about and purchase ducks and chickens and puppies and kittens, a farmer's market with fresh cheeses, milk, eggs, and seedlings to take home for your garden! Outside, they always have an Easter Egg train-type ride for the kids, and then there's all sorts of country baked goods to gnosh on before heading home. It was one of my favorite things to do when my son was little!

My son is 14 now, so the Easter morning basket and goody hunt doesn't happen any more :( but he still wakes to a basket of candy and a video game or movie tickets. He may be too old for Easter, but his Mom sure isn't! LOL! My mother-in-law had eight kids and a very tight budget, so she always made a HUGE basket of goodies and placed it smack-dab in the center of their kitchen table for all the kids to wake to. I remember her doing these even when her eldest was in his early 50's, only by then she had 14 grandkids, one step-grandchild and two great-grandkids, who looked forward to that magical basket as well! She always made it so much fun, God bless her soul! SO much fun!

When I was little, my family always went to sunrise service - complete with bagpipes welcoming the sun! Our church doesn't do that, but it does alway hold Easter Vigil service the night before Easter, which includes Confirmation for the youths in our parish. It's a wonderful, wonderful service - flowers EVERYWHERE - and it's just so deeply meaningful. I cry every time! LOL! Our Church and our sister Church in the parish both have very small parking lots, so getting "in" on Sunday is near impossible unless you're up with the roosters. In light of that fact, AND because Easter Vigil Mass has such a wonderful program, we attend Saturday's service instead.

Every year on Easter weekend, we leave Easter flowers on our neighbor's doorsteps - just like the Easter bunny! They love it! And in all the years of so-doing, my son was only "caught" by one neighbor - and she kept the secret right up until she passed away last summer. I think that's why she always had such a soft spot for our son! ;)

We used to go to my mother-in-law's for Easter dinner every year until she passed. She'd make ham and turkey and so many side dishes I can't even name them all. The one dish she ALWAYS made, though, was stuffed grape leaves. She learned from my father-in-law's Lebanese mother how to make them the "right" way, as she always said, and she made sure all of her daughters and daughters-in-law learned to make them correctly as well! Oooooh, we'd make grape leaves for HOURS, but they were soo, so good! :) Her grape leaves were famous throughout the neighborhood and family, and all day long people would be stopping by just to snag a few for a quick bite and fill a papercup-full for the ride home. I was so happy a couple of years ago when my husband's family came for our son's confirmation party. Even second and third and distant cousins came. My brothers-in-law and husband's family all said that my grape leaves were as good as my mother-in-law's, and they all took papercups-full home for the ride! I cried. I knew she was "up there" smiling down at me for sure! :)

Now that my mother-in-law has passed, I enjoy making Easter dinner for my side of the family. We invite everyone, and whoever can make it makes it complete! Easter morning consists of homemade waffles with strawberries, bacon, farmer's breakfast, coffee, juice, danish, muffins - you name it! Easter dinner is usually later in the afternoon, and we always have roasted leg of lamb, ham, seven-layered salad, mashed potatoes, roasted potatoes and carrots, fresh cinnamon applesauce, broccoli with cheese and homemade rolls with butter. Dessert is usually a surprise - whatever our guests bring.

And then, once the kitchen is cleared, we head out to the park to fly kites - even my parents are like little kids when it comes to maneuvering them in the wind!

Oh! And we always watch the movies, "Jesus of Nazareth," and "Jesus." It just wouldn't be Easter otherwise!

I know there is probably stuff I'm forgetting, but I'm sure you get the idea! :) I can't WAIT to hear what others are doing at Easter! GREAT POST!!!

Hugs -

Nini

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Edited by - Ninibini on Mar 21 2011 6:19:34 PM
Go to Top of Page

rksmith
True Blue Farmgirl

858 Posts

Rachel
Clayton GA
USA
858 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2011 :  7:42:58 PM  Show Profile
We like to color eggs and hide them. We also like to fill water guns with the dye and squirt each other. Before my niece died, we had a huge party at Easter and Halloween but since she's been gone, we just do something small but still have fun and give thanks for spring and new beginnings.

Rachel
Farmgirl Sister #2753

Do not ask the Lord to guide your footsteps, if you are not willing to move your feet--Dr. Kioni

http://www.mynsp.com/rksmith
http://madame1313.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Dawn
Farmgirl in Training

46 Posts

Martin Ga
46 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2011 :  2:21:00 PM  Show Profile
O my word Nini. You have touched my heart plum to overflow! Would you adopt me? LOL! Your Easter memories are beautiful and so inspiring. I believe it is time to shake up my hubby and 20 yr old son and my sweet little church family! It's time to reach out and make some awesome memories like that!
Rachel, I am so sorry you lost your niece. Celebrate in honor of her. Have you ever heard of Homer Ga? Home of the "World's Largest Easter Egg Hunt"?

Go to Top of Page

rksmith
True Blue Farmgirl

858 Posts

Rachel
Clayton GA
USA
858 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2011 :  5:55:44 PM  Show Profile
I've heard of Homer, but not the Easter Egg Hunt part! Thank you for your condolences, yesterday was 4 years (and she would have been 21 on the 19th).

Rachel
Farmgirl Sister #2753

Do not ask the Lord to guide your footsteps, if you are not willing to move your feet--Dr. Kioni

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2011 :  7:11:03 PM  Show Profile
Oh, Rachel - I'm so sorry you lost your niece. So young. That must be so difficult, especially on her birthday and at the holidays. Saying a little prayer for you, sister! :)

Nancy - you made me smile! I'm sorry I rambled on like that. I just love the holidays. All those little experiences add up to great memories, that's for sure! What kind of things are you going to do this year? You can be my adopted farmgirl sister - of course! :)

Hugs to you both -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974
Go to Top of Page

countrymum
True Blue Farmgirl

97 Posts

Lorie
PA
USA
97 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2011 :  08:01:32 AM  Show Profile
We go to sunrise church service which is held in our church cemetary. I know it sounds creepy but it is not. It's actually quite beautiful and really sends the message of the Easter story especially for the children.
Then we head to my grandmother's farm for breakfast which is Zurek,kielbasi,babka,etc.
After breakfast we have our traditional egg hunt for the children and then a special golden egg hunt for everyone. The golden egg has a $50 bill in it which my 92 yr.old grandmother hides.
Finally we have the traditional Easter dinner in the afternoon.

"This country needs cleaner minds & dirtier fingernails." Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Dawn
Farmgirl in Training

46 Posts

Martin Ga
46 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2011 :  1:41:37 PM  Show Profile
Nini, We really do not have any traditions. We used to go have lunch with my mother-in-law (aka Granny) and some of my hubby's brothers. Now Granny is in a nursing home, stubborn and grouchy and she won't let us bring her a meal or treats. My son is 20 now and he may pass through and then again... For the last couple of years we have attended the sunrise service at church. It is actually held outside. Then we have a fellowship breakfast and egg hunt. This year it is time to change all the non-celebrations! I have a few ideas but nothing concrete.

Go to Top of Page

Sweet_Tea
True Blue Farmgirl

194 Posts

Tara
Newberry SC
USA
194 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2011 :  5:16:15 PM  Show Profile
Hmm This is a good question...
The only tradition my family has is Italian Easter bread. Its a braided sweet bread with colored easter eggs baked into it. For an appetizer I make Sfinge, which is a ricotta cheese dough that is fried and sprinkled with powdered sugar. And for the main course we usually have a ham, which i make a maple glaze and i put cherries and pineapple on it.. Sweet Potato casserole, Bacon Wrapped Green beans, Corn, Broccoli casserole, Biscuits and Usually rice pie for desert (another italian pie). If you haven't guessed we are Italian :) And we usually go to a Easter Mass. I'm not sure about this year's Easter because now I'm in South Carolina and My family is in Georgia, and I have the two family holiday thing to try to get used to now..

Nini, That's an awesome easter. And your town sounds wonderful! This will be my first Easter in this town so I am wondering if this town does anything. but, I am going to town tomorrow, I'm going to check this out. I really like the story about the flowers. I have some neighbors that are elderly and sweet people, Erika and Freddy. They met in berlin, germany during WWII, I bake them things every once in a while and take it over to them. They are a hoot, they come to visit on their golf cart ever so often. I might just get them flowers for easter and leave it on their doorstep. Thanks for the post and the Flower Idea!

~ http://notsosweettea.blogspot.com/

"The air of heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears"
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2011 :  10:00:23 PM  Show Profile
Lorie! I LOVE the golden egg idea! What a sweetheart your grandmother is! God bless her! She must love every minute watching the kids hunt for that treasure! I don't think I could swing $50, but I could definitely spring for $10 for the kids - they'd be thrilled! THANK YOU for that idea!!! AWESOME!

Nancy - it sounds like you already do have some wonderful traditions! It's never too late to start new ones, though! I'm finding a lot of inspiration from all you girls in this post! Thank you!!! I really hope your son comes home. It makes me sad to think he might not. :( (I'll say a prayer for you!) My son's 14, and I can't imagine a day that he might not come home for holidays... then again, once he meets someone special, that may just be what happens. Ugh. Can't even think about it - it makes my heart hurt! Maybe she'll just love us so much that her parents will invite us to come along, too! It could happen! ;) The sunrise service you attend must be breathtaking! And I just love that you have a breakfast with your church family - what a blessing! I love that you visit your mother-in-law despite her disposition, too...Your blessing of your mother-in-law with this special time together despite her mood is something that makes God smile, and you'll never have any regrets about it. Maybe one day you'll be able to laugh about some of her stubborn grouchiness. :) I am always amazed at how the memory softens and can see things in a gentler light when our loved ones are gone. You're doing a beautiful thing for your MIL, even if she never realizes it. Your love and grace is a BEAUTIFUL testimony to the true meaning of Easter! :)

Tara - I would LOVE to know how to make Italian Easter Bread, Sfinge and a good ricotta pie (and sfogliatelle - oh, how I love sfogliatelle!)! Ahhh... Italian holiday feasts...awesome!!! My BFF's stepdad was Italian, and nobody - I mean NOBODY - could put on a spread like he and her mother did! I remember he used to always make us eat way more than our fill - and if we gently refused yet one more bite, he would be so hurt. I swear I easily gained 5 lbs. every time we visited them! LOL! Yes, what our town lacks in prosperity, it surely does make up for with an overflow of community spirit, that's for sure! :) I bet your neighbors Erika and Freddy have some wonderful stories to tell - you must just LOVE when they stop by! I love that you'll be their Easter Flower Bunny this year! We do this at Christmas, too, playing "Santa" with pointsettias. It's so fun to hear our elderly neighbors talk about the surprise they receive on their doorstep! :) Their hearts just come alive with that magical sense of childhood wonder! It kind of makes ME feel like a kid again! :)

Hugs to all - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974
Go to Top of Page

Sweet_Tea
True Blue Farmgirl

194 Posts

Tara
Newberry SC
USA
194 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2011 :  5:05:06 PM  Show Profile
Nini,
I will get you the ricotta pie recipe, and I'll take pics when I make the bread and put the recipe with it, how's that?.. I know the Sfinge off the top of my head so:

Sfinge
Mix 1st:
1lb of Ricotta in a bowl
4 tbsp sugar
5 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp of vanilla extract
3 eggs
Mix very very well (I do it by hand, never used my kitchen aid for this)

Then add 1 cup of flour
pinch of salt

fry in vegetable oil or crisco

Use a small ice cream scoop to drop the Sfinge in the oil, they puff up pretty big.
Then sprinkle with powdered sugar..

This is my great grandmothers recipe :)

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2011 :  5:10:57 PM  Show Profile
Thank you, Tara! Oh my gosh! I'm so excited! I might try it this weekend, even though it's a St.Joseph's Day recipe, right? LOVE it! Thank you soooo much! You're awesome, sister! Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974
Go to Top of Page

Sweet_Tea
True Blue Farmgirl

194 Posts

Tara
Newberry SC
USA
194 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2011 :  06:28:17 AM  Show Profile
You can make sfingi and zeppoli's anytime the rice pie and struffoli are only to be made on holiday's.. I wish i knew how to make that St. Joseph's Day Pastry.. I can make Cannoli's and a lot of italians sweets.. but, I forgot to answer you before.. the sfogliatelle I can't make.. I know they are a LOT of work though!
I always make Sfingi on my birthday :) I don't like REAL sweet stuff.. so this hits the spot...
I owe a lot to my grandparents, My grandfather taught me how to bake (his family had bakeries) and my grandmother and her mother (grams is what I called her) taught me how to cook a lot of things. and My grandmother especially taught me how to sew, crochet, cross stitch. I love my grandma, My grandfather has passed away, but he is the one that made it a tradition for christmas to make the stuffoli, and I still do.
If you need any recipes for any dishes let me know.. if I know how to make it.. I'll share!

Go to Top of Page

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2011 :  07:15:56 AM  Show Profile
We go to sunrise service which I truely love! Than the family gets together for a big Easter dinner. My GC are ages 11-21 and I still fix them a little Easter basket. A couple of us hid the plastic eggs outside and all the others are out there hunting eggs. So fun!!! The day before 3 of the gc and dd and I color eggs and decorate Easter cookies. We've had this tradition for 19 years, I forsee many to come. Hugs,Brenda

http:///www.scatteredlittleblessings.blogspot.com

Seek reasons to Love..In every sigment of everyday-look for something that brings forth within you a feeling of Love-Abraham Hicks
Go to Top of Page

silver3wings
Farmgirl at Heart

9 Posts

Scarlett
Bloomington Indiana
9 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2011 :  6:11:29 PM  Show Profile
My favorite Easter tradition is old-fashioned, organic egg coloring. All that's needed are a dozen eggs, square pieces of cloth (natural fibers), string, cooking oil, the papery outside skins of onions, and flower, leaves, etc.

First, you rub the eggs with oil. It helps the flower petals and leaves and such stick to the egg better and gives it a nice shine. Then, apply petals, leaves, etc., in whatever patter you like. Carefully, place the decorated egg in onion skins. Then, place it in the center of a square of cloth, using string to tie the edges together, forming a little bag. Place all the little bags into a pot of boiling water for ten minutes. Remove with tongs and place in cold water. When the eggs have cooled enough to handle, they can be unwrapped. It's amazing what they look like! They look like watercolor paintings or tie dye. Every one is unique.

Healthy People; Healthy Planet
www.healthypeoplellc.com
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2011 :  09:13:50 AM  Show Profile
I miss the Easters when I was a younger girl...we would go to Grove City, Ohio to visit my Grandmother the Saturday before, then get up for sunrise service and come home to have an Easter Egg hunt around her little house. Then a ham "supper" (about 2 o'clock) with Aunts and Uncles and my Great Grandmother, Theodocia.

Now, everyone is passed on, and I celebrate with my husband's family who doesn't go to church, and we drive (usually) two hours to Indianapolis and they cook lamb. It's the only holiday that I'm a vegetarian!

This year will be the first year that our 2 year old daughter, Violet, will participate in an egg hunt and I'm very much looking forward to seeing that, at least :)

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

rksmith
True Blue Farmgirl

858 Posts

Rachel
Clayton GA
USA
858 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2011 :  6:44:51 PM  Show Profile
Scarlett, I've never heard of coloring eggs like that. We'll have to give it a try this year. Thanks for the info!

Rachel
Farmgirl Sister #2753

Go to Top of Page

Simply Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

163 Posts

WI
USA
163 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2011 :  1:55:02 PM  Show Profile
I start with eating the ears off a solid chocolate bunny then work my way down.

There is no set path, follow your heart stay the course.
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Dawn
Farmgirl in Training

46 Posts

Martin Ga
46 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2011 :  07:40:03 AM  Show Profile
Yeppy! I have to say I start with the ears too! thanks. That made me smile.

Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2011 :  4:21:26 PM  Show Profile
Silverwings that sounds like an awesome idea! I have to come up with some traditions for our family since we have a new little one. This year we're going to my family's house-all 4 generations of women will be there, so I'm doing a photoshoot! :)

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

tammyknit
True Blue Farmgirl

135 Posts

Tammy
Reedsburg WI
USA
135 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2011 :  5:28:11 PM  Show Profile
We do an Easter basket hunt for our daughter, the first clue is in a special place in a plastic egg. That clue leads to another clue in yet another egg, so on and so forth. The clues are generally silly rhymes and take her all over the house and even outside (and outside early in the morning in April is a bit brisk in Wisconsin). She says every year not to put one outside, but we don't listen (she is 11). After she finds the basket, she finds all of the candy the Easter Bunny hid around the house (in shoes, on the edge of the counters, on top of glasses, all sorts of places, but all in plain sight). You would think we could skip that part, but no changing traditions! Then we host Easter for our relatives who can make it (generally about 20 or so). Ham, turkey, mashed potatoes, corn, baked beans, salad, and some sort of cake for dessert, I think raspberry cake this year, I still have some raspberries from our raspberry patch in the freezer from last fall. I really look forward to it. Usually one of my uncles brings grandma, who is now 89 and still lives in her own apartment and does everything herself, even drives locally. I hope I am half that good at that age!

Tammy
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2011 :  07:15:57 AM  Show Profile
Well, I'm super excited! My mom told me that her usual holiday destination has changed this year because her dear friends have decided to holiday away from home. Because we always have Easter with my husband's family in Indianapolis, 2 1/2 hours away, she would have no place to go. I told my husband and he said, "that's it. We're staying home and having our own Easter dinner. Tell your mom!"

I have a local organic ham waiting in the fridge to be baked and basted with honey and thyme, asparagus, organic potato gratin, made with local organic Gouda, (maybe some mac and cheese for the girl!)rolls from a local bakery and my mom is making a chocolate cake for dessert.

We will actually be able to go to church with my mom, then home for an Easter egg hunt and an early supper.

Just cross fingers the weather will be lovely!!!

Go to Top of Page

Nancy Dawn
Farmgirl in Training

46 Posts

Martin Ga
46 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2011 :  04:54:57 AM  Show Profile
Tammi, I love, love, love the Easter Basket Hunt! I also like the sound of your meal. Jonni, I am sooo excited that Easter Dinner is at your house this yeaar. That is so awesome! Fun! Fun Fun!

Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2011 :  12:36:39 PM  Show Profile
Me, too, Nancy--it's going to be small with just the four of us, but that's never stopped us from having fun before! At least it will actually have some meaning for me that Violet and I will be able to attend church with mom, and spend the day together. Just not too many of those with my husband's larger family.

Go to Top of Page
  Holidays: Previous Topic How do you celebrate Easter? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page