windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4192 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4192 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2011 :  3:37:48 PM  Show Profile
If I did this all right.........here is a link to our pictures of making maple syrup
http://s168.photobucket.com/albums/u189/windypines_farm/Making%20maple%20syrup/
Kris you had asked to see some pictures. This is our homemade set up. It needs some tweeking, but right now gets the job done.

Michele

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2011 :  4:25:31 PM  Show Profile
Thank you, Michele. I have so many questions still. Like what is in the big white barrel up high on it's side? And about how long does it take to fill a bucket with the sap? Is it slow or fast? I guess that depends on the weather? And there is still so much snow up there. So strange when we are so hot here already.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4192 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4192 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2011 :  5:23:27 PM  Show Profile
Ahh I didn't explain did I. The white barrel is a holding tank for the sap. We have the copper line coming out with a ball valve on. We control the amount of sap going into the pan while cooking. So there is always sap flowing into the pan. We collect sap everyday. Anytime it rains we have to dump it, since we have open buckets. The amount of sap all depends on the weather. And some trees flow better then others. Sometimes we get a couple of quarts, sometimes a gallon. I remember one year we had to go up twice a day for a couple of days, as the metal buckets would be full by noon, and then we would have to dump at night again. But that only happened once in the 38 years we have been doing it.
We have had rain almost all day today, so the snow is going down. Thank goodness. But being replaced by mud.
This year we tapped on Monday afernoon. 29 taps. By Friday we had about 47 gallons of sap. Didn't run much one day. Saturday, it was 18 when I got up to start cooking. That night we collected about 15 gallons of sap. So it froze, and then got up in the 40's. Ran pretty good.

Michele
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4739 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4739 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2011 :  7:07:05 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the link Michele. The pictures look great. Thanks too for explaining everything. I hope you get a great run before it gets too muddy to bring back the sap!

Your syrup looks delicious, well worth all of your hard work and effort!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4739 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4739 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2011 :  11:04:53 AM  Show Profile
Michele, I see you are getting hit by a big snowstorm up there in northwestern WI. Is your sap still running? How many gallons of syrup did you you get so far?

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4192 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4192 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2011 :  04:58:31 AM  Show Profile
Took all the buckets off, before the storm. Will be putting them back up. Hopefully the weather gets better, and it gets going again. Going to be cold again for a while. Got 1 and 3/4 of a gallon made so far

thanks Dawn
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic making syrup Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page