Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Looking for Jacket-Shirt Pattern
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Looking for Jacket-Shirt Pattern Next Topic  

cmandle
True Blue Farmgirl

846 Posts

Catherine
Minneapolis MN
846 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2006 :  2:52:27 PM  Show Profile
I promised Dan that I would make him a fall weather jacket-shirt for working out in the yard and such (we have a TON of leftover plaid flannel from another project...), but I can't for the life of me find a pattern anywhere. Now, I'm more of a knitter than a sewer, so I may just be out of the loop on the right time to buy for the seasons at the fabric shops? Anyway, picture a men's flannel shirt complete with shirttails, but quilted to be good and thick and warm, maybe a pocket inside. Anyone made one of these? Or have a pattern she could share?

Thanks in advance for the tips!

Catherine

* Proud wife of Dan * Jackson's Mom * Still missing Lucy the Cat... *

Kathigene
True Blue Farmgirl

160 Posts

Kathy
New York
160 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2006 :  5:24:32 PM  Show Profile  Send Kathigene an AOL message  Send Kathigene a Yahoo! Message
Catherine,

Have you tried Green Pepper patterns. They feature outdoor type clothing so you would think they would have what you need. I found their web site at thegreenpepper.com

Good luck

Kathy

Dogs make such good friends because they wag their tails rather then their tongues.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2006 :  6:17:12 PM  Show Profile
Catherine,
It is almost time for the major pattern manufacturers: Simplicity, McCall's, Butterick, Vogue to put out their Fall pattern books. You could always take a men's shirt pattern and just self line to whole thing with the quilted flannel and do the outside with the rougher, tougher canvas or flannel that you have, or you could just use to layers of the flannel that you have. I would buy the pattern a bit larger than he normally wears if you are going to do a heavy lining. Just a suggestion. You can go online and see the current catalogs: www.simplicity.com www.mccalls.com (this one will give you mccalls, butterick and vogue.

Kathigene....Wow!! I just checked out that greenpepper site! Fabulous patterns. I love the French Country coat....I think that is what it is called. I will be ordered patterns from them. They are very reasonable too!!!

Good luck.
Georgann

Edited by - Aunt George on Jul 01 2006 6:21:05 PM
Go to Top of Page

Kathigene
True Blue Farmgirl

160 Posts

Kathy
New York
160 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2006 :  07:40:32 AM  Show Profile  Send Kathigene an AOL message  Send Kathigene a Yahoo! Message
Georgann,

If I can get organized I want to make their mitten pattern up for this winter. I have serious problems with cold with my hands and I spend outrageous amounts on mittens every winter.

I would like to make a fleece mitten covered by a water and wind resistant nylon. And if it could be done with out making them so thick that I couldn't move my hands, I would like to put yet another layer of wool batting in between the nylon and fleece. I imagine that the layers would have to be quilted a bit to keep things from shifting.

Don't know how this would work out but like you with your aprons I'm willing to experiment.

I went yesterday and got a new cutting table. My old one finally died after about 30 years use so I don't think that's too bad. And I made the dumbest mistake. I was buying fabric to make blinds for my bedroom and I only bought enough material for one window. DUH. Oh well either I will find matching material or I will have three yards of a pretty print to do something with. More fabric is always a good thing!

Kathy

Dogs make such good friends because they wag their tails rather then their tongues.
Go to Top of Page

cmandle
True Blue Farmgirl

846 Posts

Catherine
Minneapolis MN
846 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2006 :  2:49:22 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Kathy and Georgann! These are great tips. I will check out the greenpepper web site and keep my eyes peeled for the fall patterns from the "big ones." I like the idea of just adjusting a flannel shirt pattern by adding lining, but I'm a little remedial when it comes to sewing. Knitting? I'll change a pattern any day! Sewing? "must follow instructions..."

Thanks!

Catherine
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Looking for Jacket-Shirt Pattern Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page