Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Ongoing DIET RECIPES Next Topic  

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2011 :  10:45:15 AM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
Since many of us struggle with our weight or are just trying to eat healthier I thought we could just post some recipes whenever we feel we want to. I will post the first one. This recipe is always a hit and so simple. I always have the ingredients in the house.

Strawberry Shortcake

1 premade angel food cake...Break in pieces and put in 9x13 pan.

1 large sugarfree strawberry jello
2 c boiling water...Mix with jello to dissolve. Pour over cake.

1 to 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen strawberries...pour on cake and push down into cake and jello to cover. Refrigerate until firm.

1 large fat free cool whip...top cake and enjoy!

I also use blueberries raspberries,blackberries. No one ever suspects it's a diet dessert.

Be Blessed,
Darlene
Sister 1922

God first, everything else after!

When Satan's knocking at your door, just say "Jesus will you get that for me?"

embchicken
True Blue Farmgirl

1487 Posts

Elaine
Ocean NJ
USA
1487 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2011 :  12:03:04 PM  Show Profile
A great am sandwich that packs alot of protein but not a lot of calories:
1 english muffin (either Thomas' Light or WW) toasted
1fried egg (use nonstick spray not butter)
Put the egg on the toasted muffin and coevr with 1 slice of reduced fat cheese (I use WW yellow American) and then cover with other half of English muffin.
The cheese melts and gets nice and gooey - tastes great - very fillling - not a lot of calories!

"Be the change you wish to see in the world" ~Gandhi

embchicken.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Lady Woodworker
True Blue Farmgirl

259 Posts

Karen
Chamberlain Maine
USA
259 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2011 :  3:07:48 PM  Show Profile
Your breakfast sandwich sounds delicious Elaine. I'm a big believer in having a good breakfast and I'll try that one.
Darlene, your dessert sounds fabulous too!

I'm usually good until later in the day...
Unless it's summer and I have lots of fresh fruit and veggies around, I make sure to keep at least 1 can of "no sugar added" peaches in my refrigerator and packages of Green Giant frozen "boil-in-the-bag" spinach in my freezer for those times (usually later in the day) when I'm about to blow an otherwise healthy and calorie-appropriate day.

I do this because I can basically pig out on either of these foods and know that I'll be okay.

I'm also into roasting vegetables. I roast root veggies all winter long.
For me, roasted veggies and a dollop of goat cheese make a fine and filling meal.

I try to forget about prepared desserts--but one great-tasting prepared dessert for me is to take 1/2 or a whole banana (frozen is best), some skim milk, plus a little fat-free and sugar-free vanilla frozen yogurt and a little honey and make a milkshake/frappe in the blender. I don't like the taste of this frozen yogurt on its own but if I don't use much and if I blend it with these other flavors it tastes good, is super-filling, is pretty low cal and is even reasonably healthy too. I'm starting to mix in almond milk too. I like almond milk even though I'm still addicted to dairy.

I also love blending frozen berry mixtures of all kinds for smoothies.

My biggest "diet" secret though is that I exercise regularly. I lost a significant amount of weight a few years ago and have kept it off for more than two years so far.

Also, did you know that when you feel hungry that you might really be thirsty? I always try to drink a big glass of water before I let myself eat a snack. The water doesn't fill me up but I often realize that it is enough or that it will curtail my eating.

Thank you Darlene for starting this awesome thread. I look forward to more yummy recipes!

Karen

Farmgirl Sister # 2419

Edited by - Lady Woodworker on Mar 19 2011 3:12:48 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Ongoing DIET RECIPES Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page