sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2011 :  08:19:20 AM  Show Profile
how very sad. one of the largest ever. we are on alert on the coast. my nephew closed his coffee houses on the beach. where i grew up the sirens were screaming at 3 am to be on alert. so many suffering now. i am hoping our wash. and alska girls are ok? sending prayers for those going through this. sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2011 :  08:29:01 AM  Show Profile
Oh Sherry, I was seeing photos of the devastation on internet news pages. I am so sorry for the people of Japan. My heart and thoughts are with them as they try to recover from this terrible ordeal. I'm worried about our west coastal sisters and people and will be glad when I hear from all of my friends and family in these areas.

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Palouse Prairie Girls Chapter
http://palouseprairiegirls.blogspot.com/
http://prairiegirlsjournal.blogspot.com/

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

Catherine L
True Blue Farmgirl

408 Posts

Cathy
Newton Texas
USA
408 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2011 :  09:12:31 AM  Show Profile
As I was looking at the photos, I was thinking where do you ever start to clean up and get life back to normal.

~Catherine~
Farmgirl 2428
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2011 :  10:11:37 AM  Show Profile
it is so huge and going to have effects on world trade commerce everything. so far our family is ok. they are watching closely now. it must have been weird to actually hear the warning bells at 3. i heard them as a child when the columbus day storm it. i saw already that fuel petroleum has dropped over 2.00 dollars a barrel. sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3320 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3320 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2011 :  10:30:05 AM  Show Profile
I have a friend who lives in Japan and she let us know through Facebook that she is alright...The pictures we are seeing on CNN take my breath away. Sometimes we forget how fragile we are and the power of mother nature. It can be very humbling seeing this happen.

Melody
Farmgirl #525
www.lemonverbenasoap.etsy.com
www.longtallsallys.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2011 :  10:34:47 AM  Show Profile
I'm with you, Melody - I keep watching the scenes and just cannot believe what I am seeing. Those poor people. I'm so glad you've heard from your friend and that she is all right. One of my dearest friends' brother and his family live in Japan, and no one has heard from them. We just keep praying. Hugs - Nini

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Farmgirl Sister #1974
Go to Top of Page

therealshari
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Shari
Beryl UT
USA
235 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2011 :  1:36:40 PM  Show Profile  Send therealshari a Yahoo! Message
I've been watching since early this morning too. With many friends and some relatives still in Oregon and on the coast, I said a prayer and held my breath as the tsunami warning went on for hours.

I also have many friends in Japan. I generally hear about them through other college classmates on FB. So far, no reports of fatalities among them... but what a mess. Worse yet, the quakes are continuing.

Shari Thomas, back after a 2 year break for heart issues. Ready to get on with life now.Four Country Gals
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3320 Posts

Melody
USA
3320 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2011 :  4:59:39 PM  Show Profile
After being glued to the set today and watching the photos coming in I am in disbelief.

How on earth do you go about cleaning up after something so horrific? Where do you start?

Melody
Farmgirl Sister #525
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2011 :  5:39:27 PM  Show Profile
Seeing video of the tsunami reminds me of when the Mississippi flooded back in 1993. It was unreal. I can't imagine what those people are going through. I hate earthquakes, never been in a bad one, but we live in an area with potential for a severe quake. gives me goosebumps. I pray that everyone with friends or relatives in japan hears from them soon.
Cindy

"Vast floods can't quench love, no matter what love did/ Rivers can't drown love, no matter where love's hid"--Sinead Connor
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Oggie
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Ginny
Machias Maine
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2011 :  7:26:46 PM  Show Profile
We were shocked this A.M. when we turned on the news. So very sad. There are no words to describe one's feelings. Working for the Emergency Management Agency as I do, we had to take a course on tsunami's but I am so grateful we have never had one where I live. Did you know that the "wave" they talk about may be 23 feet high but no one tells you that it's also miles long? I think most folks think it's just one tall 23 foot wave like those you surf on but don't realize it's a wall of 23 feet going continously for a mile or more long before it will stop and go back out to sea. In Japan's case, a lot of it isn't going back out though, the land is sinking instead.

And now they have to worry about nuclear meltdown! God please save our world!

Ginny
Farmgirl #2343
www.thedewhopinn.com

"I always have a wonderful time, wherever I am, whomever I'm with."
"Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it." Both by Elwood P. Dowd (Jimmy Stewart) in the Movie Harvey
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2011 :  7:54:49 PM  Show Profile
Ginny, I'm with you in that prayer. Please God, save our precious world! I am anxiously searching all over the web for news on the nuclear situation over there. Dear God, this is just so terrible

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Palouse Prairie Girls Chapter
http://palouseprairiegirls.blogspot.com/
http://prairiegirlsjournal.blogspot.com/

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3320 Posts

Melody
USA
3320 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2011 :  8:40:31 PM  Show Profile
Oggie---(My best friends name is Oggie by the way!!)

They said the Tsunami traveled at the speed of 500-miles per hour. Unimaginable! The film footage of it coming in was mind-blowing. And, now they are saying 3 nuclear power plants are in trouble with 2 of them forcing evacuation at a distance of 10-K and 3-K in the surrounding area. They are cooling the core with a battery operated back-up. I can't even grasp that.

My goodness as if the earthquake and tsunami weren't bad enough now the threat of a meltdown is looming in the picture. How awful...

Melody
Farmgirl #525
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2011 :  09:23:53 AM  Show Profile
I have been watching this morning and the Nuclear power plant issue is really bone chilling. I think it is just one more reason to not have Nuclear power plants. I just hope and pray they can get a handle on this before it becomes not just a Japanese disaster but a world wide one with radiation traveling. After the meltdown in Russia, there was radiation in the milk in Sweden and all over Europe. An explosion at a Nuclear power plant is scary stuff....

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2011 :  3:10:23 PM  Show Profile
just got done watching more cnn and fox. wow how unreal and scary. i surely hope they can stop it and cool it. the whole thing is bigger than my little brain can comprehend. it is so very very sad. sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Arctic Flower
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

Marjorie
Nenana Alaska
USA
85 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2011 :  4:52:37 PM  Show Profile
Sitting here reading and watching this horror unfold I just want to be there to put an arm around someone so I thought maybe a few moments of prayer imagining my arms around a lost small child, an elderly person a rescue worker overwhelmed with the task at hand. It's all I can do from so far away.

Farmgirl #2416

Believe in the power of Love!
Go to Top of Page

HDA
True Blue Farmgirl

59 Posts

Heidi
Hood River OR
USA
59 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2011 :  11:14:24 PM  Show Profile
I had a professor in college that said nuclear power was "like shooting a cannon to ring a doorbell" and I've always remembered that analogy because it is such a good one. It can be something bigger than we can control. Been watching things get worse & worse on the news.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2011 :  07:52:25 AM  Show Profile
it appears to be getting worse. now i see things like folks on pacific coast here should take iodine or eat foods with it in it. seems very close to me. such a huge concern hard to grasp. so sad indeed sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2011 :  08:23:53 AM  Show Profile
Oh, Sherry... I'm so sorry; I can't imagine how all of you out on the west coast are feeling. I worry about everyone out there. I have family throughout California, but nobody's even really talking about it. I saw yesterday that some experts anticipate that the winds could carry the radiation as far as Arizona!!! My television viewing time has been extremely limited this week - has anyone else heard anything about that?

I know they're saying the nuclear plants in the U.S. are much safer and that we shouldn't panic, but I grew up in Massachusetts and Rhode Island. I can't get the images of the Seabrook, NH, power plant and all the picketers out of my head. I don't live super close to Three Mile Island, either, but I can tell you that where I live (near Pittsburgh) cancer seems so much more rampant than when I lived back home. I always worry about the connection.

I just saw that Japan is now considering burying the nuclear plant? How is that going to stop radiation? Won't it still affect ground water?

It's simply overwhelming to consider. I pray. I just pray.

Hugs -

Nini

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Farmgirl Sister #1974
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2011 :  07:11:07 AM  Show Profile
good morning nini, yes it is so sad. i just read low levels are showing up in their food. milk was on the list. low levels but showing just the same. the bible says man cannot direct his own steps. this shows how little we are. wind drift will bring it hear i think. when we had 911 no one talked much about how toxic the air was. now so many are sick and chemically sensitive from that tragedy. i think it will be a long while before the story unfolds the truth. to think they are desperately shooting water at it. i so hope they can get it under control. sending prayers for those suffering so. sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2011 :  08:02:02 AM  Show Profile
cnn stated today that the radiation is now leaking into the pacific ocean. through a hole they are pouring concrete into. this story is not over yet. i feel very close to japan now. i know low levels are showing up in milk also. sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Shi-anne
True Blue Farmgirl

596 Posts

Cheryl
Ada OK
USA
596 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2011 :  11:27:26 AM  Show Profile
I don't think we can even imagine the extent of problems that are going to be related/connected to the calamity in Japan. I feel so sorry for the people there. It is almost more than my mind can contain.

~Praying for Japan~

http://theprairiemaid.blogspot.com/

Farmgirls don't have hot flashes ~ They have power surges!
Go to Top of Page
  Weather Report: Previous Topic earthquake Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page