Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 looks like the "farm dream" has ended
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic looks like the "farm dream" has ended Next Topic  

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2006 :  06:56:54 AM  Show Profile
I put these smiling faces up first because I am not sad and I don't want anyone feeling bad for me, I don't feel bad. It really is ok. Instead of feeling terrible I made a decision to look at ALL of the MANY blessing we have. My husband would do anything in the world for me including living on a farm when he really isn't up to it. It took alot of talking together to come to this conclusion but a farm isn't worth his health or our happiness.
As many of you know his health has been up & down, right now it's good, he's very tired alot but hes working and it's good. We are buying a home hopefully by this time next year but it wont be a farm. It's just too much for us now. He worries so much about what will happen if his health gets worse and it was just too much worring & too m uch stress for him, and in turn for us. SO, we're looking for a small home w/ a yard for me to garden and we found a lovely community w/ manufactured homes, great yards, pretty street lights, sidewalks, all ages (not ready for the senior homes!) they are close but not on top of each other.
We will still do all our wool crafts, we don't have to have the sheep in our back yard and I will continue w/ my wild cottage gardens. My sister & I are thinking of starting a small bussiness w/ wool, flea market things and gardening things combined. So it is looking up and as surprising as it seems, even to me, I am really fine. I can still enjoy all the farmgirl things I always have. My husband & his health is so much more important to me and he is so much more relaxed now. I was so into what I wanted, I didnt even see how it was bothering him. I don't want to be that kind of person. Besides, I love cottages & cottage gardens just as much.
We wont be over our heads financially and wont have to worry about losing it, that in itself is a relief. So PLEASE be happy for us and know that it is really just fine. When we finally purchase it whether it be a manufactured or regular small home, Im calling it "Wildflower Cottage" my sister liked the name & wants to call our little venture the same. Who knows whats around that next corner but I know how very blessed I am and I thank God everyday.

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13

cmandle
True Blue Farmgirl

846 Posts

Catherine
Minneapolis MN
846 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2006 :  07:10:16 AM  Show Profile
Sounds like you've got a great attitude about the coming changes, Michele. My sister (Michele too!) always says that her home is her husband, wherever they end up. Family is the highest importance...and I have a feeling that you are the kind who can create that cottage cozy feel wherever you are! Good luck on your next adventure, remember that the Farmgirls are here for you!

Catherine

* Proud wife of Dan * Jackson's Mom * Still missing Lucy the Cat... *
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2006 :  07:18:39 AM  Show Profile
Michele,

You really are a farmgirl at heart, and it sounds like your DH is very lucky to have you. You've given a lot of us much to think about, and I applaud your choice. Just think of all the wonderful things that you can do on a smaller scale, and I like the name Wildflower Cottage for your new home. How about just "Wildflowers" as a name for your small business? Don't they grow where they are planted? You're doing the same, and I send a heartfelt Atta-Farmgirl Hug out to you! Keep us posted on your progress!

Jo

P.S. Your dream has NOT ended, y'hear?

Edited by - Hideaway Farmgirl on Jun 27 2006 07:19:09 AM
Go to Top of Page

theherblady
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Jan
Glasford Illinois
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2006 :  07:46:25 AM  Show Profile
Michele~~ Best wishes in all you do~Sounds like you are being realistic in your plans....and like Jo said "you are and always will be a "farm girl at heart"
Hugs to you and DH~~
Jan
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2006 :  08:21:38 AM  Show Profile
Your new plans sound so nice. I love the name Wildflower Cottage. When I was in England, just about every home I saw was named "something" cottage. Wildflower seems to suit your spirit. I see good things 'around the corner' for you! Good luck!!

Karin
Go to Top of Page

owwlady
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Jan
Tomahawk WI
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2006 :  08:25:24 AM  Show Profile
Michele, good for you! I'm glad you found this out before making a commitment that would have turned out to be a hardship for both of you. I have a feeling that anywhere you end up, you'll still be a true farmgirl. I love the name "Wildflower Cottage". Isn't it wonderful when God can direct us where we need to be instead of where we think we should be? Good luck to you and your husband.
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2006 :  08:34:01 AM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
I am glad you are happy with your decision. What is always the most important in ones life is those around them. Some people do not value the people around them as must as they should you are 3 steps ahead of the game. Good for you and I hope all your new plans work out great

have a lovely day
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2006 :  08:37:15 AM  Show Profile
Michelle, you're so right - this isn't a cause for sadness. Maryjane always says "farmgirl is a condition of the heart". No one can take that away. How wonderful that you have your precious husband with you! How wonderful to look forward to finding and decorating a cottage! How wonderful to look forward to your own wool business! This is an exciting time for you and I wish you every blessing and good fortune!

Farmgirl hug,
Patricia

Come visit my Etsy store at www.chezPatricia.etsy.com
Farmgirls do it organically!
Go to Top of Page

Lavender Cottage
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Ellen

USA
273 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2006 :  08:54:45 AM  Show Profile
Michele-that is a great name-Wildflower Cottage! I agree with what everyone has said too-keep us posted and all the very best-wonderful!
See you round the rambling wildflower cottage gardens! :)
Ellen in MI
Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2006 :  09:27:34 AM  Show Profile
Michele,

Sometimes we have a dream and we are so set on it that it's hard to alter the version in our minds and hearts. As the others have said, you are a farmgirl and nothing will change that fact. We all have to tweak our plans and sometimes there's a reason that won't immediately reveal itself. I'm so happy that you're happy with your decision and I think that good things will come to you.

Debbie

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2006 :  09:33:45 AM  Show Profile
Michele - I was just thinking that your husband certainly is lucky, and WOW - you have an amazing attitude toward decision-making and change. I really like "Wildflower Cottage" also - inasmuch as the word wildflower fits how I imagine your personality is - beautiful and natural. Somehow I don't imagine that your "farm dream" really has ended - I think it may have just transformed itself into your new "farmgirl meets cottage-style farm" dream!!! Best wishes and great luck!!!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

ThymeForEweFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

705 Posts

Robin
An organic farm in the forest in Maine
USA
705 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2006 :  10:08:47 AM  Show Profile
Farm girl is a state of mind. I have friends who have fiber businesses without owning fiber animals. They're able to spend their entire work day with the fiber because they aren't tending animals. They're very happy with this.

When you come to visit me I will take you to a friend's fiber business. I'm sure you'll leave with tons of ideas! Congrats on your new plan! It's sounds great to me!

Robin
www.thymeforewe.com
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2006 :  10:10:33 AM  Show Profile
thank you all so much. I'll never leave "this place" with so many kind and wonderful women. And yes, the dream has changed a bit but as long as I can grow, nurture and cultivate my family & my plants, I can't complain. Just seeing my husbands relief in his very being is enough. I had no clue how worried he really was and he hid that FOR ME, so I can have my dream, never mind his. Thats the heart, soul and guts of real love and I wouldn't change it for all the corn in Iowa!! Thanks girls.

Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2006 :  10:19:24 AM  Show Profile
Robin your on!!

Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2006 :  10:57:05 AM  Show Profile
Michele -- thank you so much for sharing your decision with us! Your attitude is truly amazing! You are blooming where you are planted!

"But as for me & my house we will serve the LORD!" Joshua 24:15

Lotion bars, linen water & more in my online shop! http://therusticcottage.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2006 :  12:00:49 PM  Show Profile
Michele, it looks to me like a new dream has been born! I so admire your ability to let that happen. I can't wait to see pictures of your new gardens.

"I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority." -E. B. White

http://www.betweenthecities.com/blog/ljr/

Edited by - LJRphoto on Jun 27 2006 12:01:29 PM
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2006 :  5:08:40 PM  Show Profile
Michele - I admire you, and think you are in the right frame of mind for where you are right now.... which means you are tuly a farmgirl..... go girl.

Peace
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2006 :  10:09:19 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Michele,
I am so happy for you! Sometimes dreams go through a change like the caterpillar to a butterfly. We start out with a caterpillar and go to the chrysalis...while there we do not always know what will emerge...time and life can alter things a bit, but if you are patient and steadfast your dreams will emerge and no matter what form they take, will be beautiful! I think your butterfly just emerged!!! I love the name and love cottages! In fact, romantic cottage is my favorite style of interior design! So I am thrilled for you! I look forward to hearing more as the wings unfold and your dream takes flight!!! All the best and hugz!!

"If we could maintain the wonder of childhood and at the same time grasp the wisdom of age, what wonder,what wisdom,what life would be ours"

Edited by - Buttercup on Jun 27 2006 10:16:42 PM
Go to Top of Page

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2006 :  10:38:17 PM  Show Profile
As the farmgirls said, Being a farmgirl is a heart condition. Remember, the strength of Wildflowers, is that they can bring such beauty to unexpected places, as you will do at Wildflower Cottage. You will have your little farm right where you are, and the beauty of it is you and your husband can enjoy it together!

Best wishes,
Georgann
Go to Top of Page

Destiny~
True Blue Farmgirl

195 Posts

Dar
west TX
USA
195 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2006 :  10:38:36 AM  Show Profile
Michele, also realize that by turning your little plot of land into a garden you'll be creating an oasis in the middle of urban America. Just think about how you'll be introducing adults and children to plants and views that they'd probably never see otherwise.
Who knows, you may just influence the neighbors.
I guess that'll make you a pioneer.

"Let us, together, sow seeds for a better harvest-a harvest for hope."
Jane Goodall, Harvest for Hope
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2006 :  11:52:51 AM  Show Profile
Michele,
I want to send you a hug... and just agree with the others that you are right! The Lord gives great peace, doesn't He, when we surrender? I also admire you, as do all the other farmgirls above. Wildflower Cottage is bound to be a very happy place.
Ann

There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2006 :  12:04:42 PM  Show Profile
Oh Michele..you are such an inspiration! here is a big hug from me in Utah too!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2006 :  1:03:41 PM  Show Profile
Michele - you define farmgirl. Make do and create beauty with what is on hand; live for what is best for the people you love. That IS farmgirl mentality. Go girl!

Peace
Go to Top of Page

Naillady
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Jeri
Belleville IL
USA
3 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2006 :  07:35:31 AM  Show Profile
Hey dont feel too bad I use to have the farm in Freeburg Illinois. 150 year old house,chicken coup in complette disaray,7 acreas,horse pasture,horse barn,riding arena,all great things but with the WRONG MAN I had an awful mariage and i hated everyminute of life their. My husband never fixed anything that broke. Anyway we bought the farm for$149.000 7 years later my ex-husband sold it for only $140.000. He did not know how to handle his money, and the house was going into foreclosure. So he soldit cheap. I could not afford to keep it either. Now I am married to a carpenter that loves fixing old things.But best of all he is GOD fearing married that I love the dickens out of. Some day LORD willing we will have another farm. So keep your chin up and FARM ON
Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic looks like the "farm dream" has ended Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page