Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Arts & Crafts Center
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Arts & Crafts Center Next Topic  

edlund33
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Marilyn
Renton WA
USA
1497 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2011 :  2:05:09 PM  Show Profile
Do you live in a community that has an arts and crafts center where members of the public can gather to attend seminars, take classes, etc? If so can you share a bit about how your facility works and what kind of programs are offered?

I've been asked to join a special committee of our local Arts Commission to consider the feasibility of an arts center in our city.

I have some ideas about what I think would want from such a center, but I am also curious to learn how other communities provide access to arts, crafts and music for their citizens.

Has anyone ever attended programs at J.C. Campbell Folk Art School, North House Folk School, Fletcher Farm School of Arts & Crafts or similar venues? What did you think? Would you like to have something like this closer to your own home?

I'm trying to explore ideas and get a broader perspective on the possibilities.........

Cheers! ~ Marilyn

Farm Girl No. 1100

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2011 :  5:22:39 PM  Show Profile
I visited a town im Minn. called Grand Marais. They have a wonderful arts and craft community, lots of local participation. All types of classes were offered and ran by mostly volunteers. I do not know if this would help, but maybe by going to their web site you could get an idea of what they offer and maybe go from there. Hope this is helpful

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting them in a fruit salad!
Farmgirl #680!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/lessielouise22
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2011 :  12:39:36 PM  Show Profile
I just received a brochure from the Split Rock Arts Program/University of Minnesota re their Summer workshops and retreats.The have day classes, 3-day, and week-long retreats. Check out their site. www.cce.umn.edu/splitrockarts.

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

edlund33
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Marilyn
Renton WA
USA
1497 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2011 :  07:27:46 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the suggestions girls. This is exactly the kind of feedback I'm looking for.

Carol, are you talking about North House Folk School in Grand Marais? Turns out I registered for a painting class there several years ago but it got cancelled so I didn't get to go. I still receive their catalog. Someday I would love to take a class there!

Judith, I've never heard of Split Rock Arts Program, so I will definitely check out your link.

Cheers! ~ Marilyn

Farm Girl No. 1100

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

woolgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

901 Posts

Elizabeth
Great Lakes IL
USA
901 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2011 :  10:17:41 AM  Show Profile
Oh the Grand Marais one is the best. I am partial though because that is where our cabin is. The most peaceful place in the whole wide world. There is the school house and the Art Colony, which I think has better classes. I took a stained glass class there and it was awesome. The whole town is very art oriented. It is an amazing place.

And now I REALLY want to go to the cabin!

Farmgirl #1947
Go to Top of Page

edlund33
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Marilyn
Renton WA
USA
1497 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2011 :  06:29:46 AM  Show Profile
Elizabeth, are you saying that there is another arts program in Grand Marais besides North House Folk School?

I checked into Split Rock and it sounds like a great program.

Cheers! ~ Marilyn

Farm Girl No. 1100

Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Arts & Crafts Center Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page