kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2011 :  1:15:41 PM  Show Profile
It's just raining away out there and it's COLD today. I had made a roast last week and put some left overs in the freezer. Just made a big ole pot of soup with that and I put some potatoes, corn and green beans in it. I grew most everything except the potatoes. Even grew the beef. And made the broth from the bones. It is smelling some kind of good in here right now. I'll make a cast iron skillet of cornbread slathered with homemade butter and that'll be all she wrote. Ew, it's so good!

What's cooking in your kitchens this afternoon? And how's the weather affecting the way you cook?

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2011 :  1:40:37 PM  Show Profile
Oooohh... that sounds really, really good, Kristin! We're having a cold, rainy day today, too - kinda chills the bones, doesn't it? I was trying to figure out what to make for dinner tonight - I think soup is just the thing! And that cornbread, too... MMMMmmm... the way you wrote it, I can almost taste it now! ;) Thank you for the suggestion! Stay warm! Hugs - Nini

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Farmgirl Sister #1974
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2011 :  2:13:50 PM  Show Profile
Yum, soup is good for the bones and good for the soul! We actually have a decent sunny day here, so its the first day I haven't thought about soup! Hope your soup takes the chill out of your bones. :)

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2011 :  2:50:11 PM  Show Profile
I love soup especially on cold days :) Your meal sounds great Kris :)

It is nice here today 51 degrees as I type. I am making a Pork Roast with a Cherry-Garlic and Rosemary marinade along with spinach and sweet potatoes. Just in the mood :)

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2011 :  4:14:45 PM  Show Profile
Nini, it is still raining and we are flooding here. My poor mazie is sopping wet and so are all the chickens. The goats are nice and dry in their barn but the pigs keep knocking their water out so it's wet in there. The soup was more like a stoup, like Rachel says. Lots of beef. I hope you have a nice cozy night up there in Pa.

Amy, I like the sound of your nice day. It will be that way here again but not for awhile. After coming in from feeding the critters I was all wet and cold. The soup was almost too hot to eat but I do feel warmer now.

And Sharon, your meal sounds too yummy! You'll have to share your recipe for the pork roast. I have 2 pigs out there now that have a date with the butcher in 6 weeks. I can already taste a good fresh roast! And I love spinach and sweet potatoes too.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

J.F. Brown
True Blue Farmgirl

130 Posts

Jamie
Beaverton OR
USA
130 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2011 :  10:44:42 AM  Show Profile
It was soup all week at our house. We had a sweet-potato/ coconut//lemongrass one, then a lentil/kale/mung bean one,amd a cream of tomato. We finished the 'green soup' too fast, so we have to make more this week.
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2011 :  9:34:23 PM  Show Profile
Kris,

I posted some Pork recipes for you!

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2011 :  05:09:38 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Sharon. I got them!

Jamie, your soups sound so good. I love lemongrass. I would love the cream of tomato recipe if you don't mind, please.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2011 :  06:02:10 AM  Show Profile
Nothin' cooking in my kitchen last night, but I did have soup!!! It was bone cold here, and I had to pick up the girl in the SNOW and then trek the slow commute home because people forgot how to drive from the last time it snowed so we didn't get home until 7:30 or so...we stopped at Frisch's, and I had a big ole' bowl of their Italian Wedding Soup. Which was EXACTLY what my cold bones needed.

Your soup sounds AWESOME, Kris--I love to clean out the fridge and make a soup. I made soup on Sunday night, the Pioneer Woman's chicken tortilla soup, and we've eatend that a lot this week. Was a good one!

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

alterationsbyemily
True Blue Farmgirl

686 Posts

Emily
Thomasville PA
USA
686 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2011 :  07:17:50 AM  Show Profile
Sad thing is, in PA its still icky, it may have stopped raining but the pond in my backyard (there is usually not a pond) is very depressing. My daughter and I had the last can of progresso soup in the cabinet, a cream soup with chicken, corn and potatoes. I told her today we might make some french onion soup, she was excited by the idea. I will let you know how it turns out.

---
Currently renting-farmgirl wannabe
Go to Top of Page

embchicken
True Blue Farmgirl

1487 Posts

Elaine
Ocean NJ
USA
1487 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2011 :  2:44:01 PM  Show Profile
Today, in NJ, is very icky also and I think I have the same "pond" in my backyard! I think I can feel a big pot of pea soup coming on!

"Be the change you wish to see in the world" ~Gandhi
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic It's a Soup Kind of Day Today Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page