Crystal Koelzer
Farmgirl in Training

44 Posts

Crystal
Cosby MO
USA
44 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2011 :  04:13:12 AM  Show Profile
Every year when we get our taxes back my husband and I do something fun. This year my husband wants to buy some camping gear (tent, sleeping bags, etc.). We do a lot of hiking and that seems like the next logical thing. First of all I have only been camping once and didn't have to do any of the prep work so I have no idea what goes into camping. Second, we have an almost two year old. Is it possible to go camping with a toddler? And what do we really need to be buying. Any suggestions would be great! I really am excited about camping, just don't know what to expect.

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2011 :  09:48:47 AM  Show Profile
When our 2 girls were little we went tent camping all the time. Even had a camper cover on our truck and slept in it with a baby. It can be done. Just gotta watch them. Keep them away from fires. You know all that. But you also know how a 2 year old can be there one minute and gone the next. Have fun. I miss it alot. Haven't been camping in years. Now we have a camper my parents gave us and we can't afford to get tags and ins. on it. Maybe one day. Because I am not camping in a tent again! I need a bathroom handy!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Gypsy
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Tammy
Wolford North Dakota
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2011 :  1:44:53 PM  Show Profile
We use to tent camp occasionally with our 4 children when they were small. I would recommend possibly renting a camper or tent (or borrowing one) to see if you like it before putting a lot of money into it. I grew up camping so I enjoyed it, but my ex only had done the boy scout thing and found real camping with kids not so much to his liking. With little ones a camper with a bathroom comes in really handy or having a portable potty in the tent to use at night so they don't have to walk in the dark to use the bathrooms - its pretty scary to some kids. There are a ton of websites that give advice on camping with kids. How much stuff you need is personal. I like to be comfortable so I take more then some but less then others I know. Make sure to take any comfort objects for the kids as it can be scary to some kids to be away from home and their own beds, toys, and routines. My kids were fortunately very laid back so it didn't bother them.

Farmgirl Sister # 2363
http://twilightburrough.blogspot.com/
Warren, MI
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2011 :  10:04:27 AM  Show Profile
I would suggest a campground with facilities, as opposed to the wilderness first. Maybe you could reserve a yurt, cabin, etc; in a park. In eastern Oregon you can stay in a covered wagon for the night. Fun.

Trish

Make cupcakes not war!
Go to Top of Page

Meg
Moderator/Farmgirl True

974 Posts

Meg
Idaho
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2011 :  11:27:38 AM  Show Profile
Your two year old will LOVE it! We have been tent camping with our first since she was 6 months old. Now we have a 4 year old and 2 year old and can't wait for our camping season to begin. They both LOVE to camp. They pretty much have our undivided attention for the entire weekend and there is something to be said about the fresh air! We keep it very simple with a tent for four, sleeping bags, and good food to eat and that's about it.

My mom's Outpost book http://shop.maryjanesfarm.org/store/p/168-MaryJane-s-Outpost.aspx has an entire section on getting outside with your kiddos. She hiked some 30 miles into the Wilderness with me on her back as an infant. It is something I look forward to most with my daughters. And it is almost certainly always going to be an adventure with them!

MaryJane's daughter,

Meg
megan@maryjanesfarm.org
Go to Top of Page

Crystal Koelzer
Farmgirl in Training

44 Posts

Crystal
Cosby MO
USA
44 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2011 :  12:01:56 PM  Show Profile
Thank you ladies. I am wanting to keep it simple as well and at a campground. My husband on the other hand has all of these big plans for us that include backpacking to a camping spot. That is just not going to work. I will tell him what you said!
Go to Top of Page
  Outpost: Previous Topic Camping with toddlers Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page