caitlinsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

86 Posts

Kim
St.A Idaho
USA
86 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2011 :  9:27:21 PM  Show Profile
I got an incredible deal on eggs yesterday but now I have eggs coming out of my ears! I want to try dehydrating them for later use. Anyone tried their hand at this?

I was planning on just whisking them up (without milk)and pouring it onto my fruit leather trays. Then just blending it up till its a fine powder. Will this work?

Any advice would be great.

www.naturallysimple.blogspot.com
"Live slowly and simply, so that you have the time and space to love deeply and well. Hold your children close, as often as possible. Look deeply into their eyes, speak words of life, love and acceptance into and over them."

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2011 :  05:58:35 AM  Show Profile
I did it that way about a month ago and they worked great for a week and then started smelling. I've been looking on the internet to see how best to do them and several people said they were successful doing it that way. However, the majority of things I read said to cook them first. Scramble them without milk and cook them and then dry the cooked eggs. Powder them in the blender and then reconstitute them with water and scramble. I haven't tried that. I am finding that freezing them is the better route for cooking with them. Poke the yolk and put one eacj in the cups of those silicone muffin pans that you can get at Walmart or Target. Freeze thema and then just pop them out of the pan. Put those in freezer bags and you have frozen eggs!

Mary Beth

www.OklahomaPastryCloth.com
www.Oklahomapastrycloth.com/blog
The Sovereign Lord is my strength - Habakkuk 3:19
Go to Top of Page

caitlinsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

86 Posts

Kim
St.A Idaho
USA
86 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2011 :  11:33:16 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Mary Beth. Did the eggs start to smell bad? I only ask because I have a can of powdered egg and I think they stink! I wonder if it just the normal way eggs smell. I will give the scrambled idea a try and see how it works. Do you find that frozen eggs cook oddly? I froze some a year or so ago and eveverytime we used them they were just so stiff. I couldnt get them fluffy no matter how hard I beat them. The egg white just tured to glutinous mess. :)

www.naturallysimple.blogspot.com
"Live slowly and simply, so that you have the time and space to love deeply and well. Hold your children close, as often as possible. Look deeply into their eyes, speak words of life, love and acceptance into and over them."
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2011 :  3:50:12 PM  Show Profile
Really? Hmmm. They stunk something awful so I figured they were bad. Wonder if they weren't. I have had good luck with frozen eggs. To scramble them, I add milk and use a little canola or olive oil in the pan. They work pretty good. And I've used them in stuff like muffins, etc. but have never tried to make fluffy egg whites.

Mary Beth

www.OklahomaPastryCloth.com
www.Oklahomapastrycloth.com/blog
The Sovereign Lord is my strength - Habakkuk 3:19
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Dehydrating Eggs Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page