Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Reading Room
 Anne of Green Gables Discussions
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Reading Room: Previous Topic Anne of Green Gables Discussions Next Topic  

CurlysQuilts
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Sarah
Northeast Kingdom VT
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2011 :  12:52:10 PM  Show Profile
Okay ladies! This is the first post of our discussion for Anne of Green Gables, book one. You'll be reading Anne of Avonlea this month, while we discuss Anne of Green Gables. The next post will be the discussion questions. Happy Reading!

Curly's Quilts
www.curlysquilts.etsy.com

“He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.” - Micah 6:8

CurlysQuilts
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Sarah
Northeast Kingdom VT
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2011 :  1:11:24 PM  Show Profile
Here are a few questions that I pulled together. Most of them come from Sparknotes.com. Some of them are questions I like to think about. :) Feel free to answer as many as you want, or just read them and glean.
Warning: There may be spoilers in the questions or answers, so if you haven't read the book yet and you are reading this discussion, be prepared to be informed!

Enjoy!

1) The Anne books have been very popular since their publishing. Why do you think it is so beloved? What draws people to her story?

2) Anne has a very romantic, dreamy personality. Do you think this is nature or nurture situation? Is this just who she is deep down, or do you think her harsh childhood brought this out in her?

3) Do you think Marilla would have given Anne over to Mrs. Blewett before she heard about Anne's past? Why or why not?

4) How does Anne grow as the book progresses?

5) Nature is a big motif throughout all the books. What are some of the most vivid nature images to you? (Name as many as you want)

6) How does Marilla grow as a character throughout the book?

7) What role do you think fashion plays in the book?

8) How does the idea of adoption in the books differ from our views today?

9) Discuss the role of imagination in the book.

10) Do you have a favorite quote?

Curly's Quilts
www.curlysquilts.etsy.com

“He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.” - Micah 6:8

Edited by - CurlysQuilts on Mar 06 2011 7:18:14 PM
Go to Top of Page

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2011 :  11:31:55 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Sarah for doing this! I love these books, and never had read them as a child, but read them the first time about 15 years ago. I am now re-reading them again.

1) The Anne books have been very popular since their publishing. Why do you think it is so beloved? What draws people to her story?
I think part of the reason that they are so popular now is that they are so old fashioned! They are set in an earlier, what seems to us, simpler time, when life was slower, less complicated, and maybe even more fun. The idea that not having autos, television, airplanes, computers, telephones, etc. is more and more appealing in these times of high prices, and want, want, want.

2) Anne has a very romantic, dreamy personality. Do you think this is nature or nurture situation? Is this just who she is deep down, or do you think her harsh childhood brought this out in her?
I think that most of who she is is because of her nature, with some because of her childhood. I had a very nice, well rounded childhood, and yet, I think much like Anne!

3) Do you think Marilla would have given Anne over to Mrs. Blewett before she heard about Anne's past? Why or why not?
Marilla was set on a boy to help around the farm. I believe that is the only reason that she and Matthew were going to adopt in the first place. However, as seen as the book goes on, Marilla has a soft side too, and it may be that she saw something in what Anne could become if she just had some kindness in her life, instead of always hard times.
4) How does Anne grow as the book progresses?
Obviously she grows physically, and matures also. With Marilla's guidance, she tried to change her headstrong, impulsive ways. Anne is really very good at heart, sometimes she just needs reminding.
5) Nature is a big motif throughout all the books. What are some of the most vivid nature images to you? (Name as many as you want)The scenery on the farm- the birch woods, the pond, the house, the way Anne saw all these through her own eyes, and described them was great!

6) How does Marilla grow as a character throughout the book? Anne seems to bring out the best in Marilla, allowing to see her own compassionate and loving side.

7) What role do you think fashion plays in the book? Well it was definitely there, but I don't think there was too much of it, it was nice that Anne could dress like the other girls eventually.

8) How does the idea of adoption in the books differ from our views today? Adoption was much easier then!

9) Discuss the role of imagination in the book. This really what the book is all about. After all, the author had a wonderful, vivid imagination to write about Anne, the other characters, and the setting the way she did. Also, Anne is a very imaginative girl. The times she got herself into trouble, always seemed to be because she was busy imagining herself somewhere else, or doing something else, or being something else.

10) Do you have a favorite quote? There were a few I liked, but let me come back to this question!

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

"If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call 'failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down. "~ Mary Pickford

http://theviewfromhere-brenda.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic Anne of Green Gables Discussions Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page