Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Entrepreneurship
 does anyone deliver eggs for profit! Tell me
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic does anyone deliver eggs for profit! Tell me Next Topic  

yasmine
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

yasmine
wappingers falls ny
USA
173 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2011 :  04:06:54 AM  Show Profile
WHO DELIVERS EGGS for profit! I think we might want to try this in our surrounding neighbor hood! Maybe let the kids go door to door to deliver eggs once a week to the neighboring houses in our town! WHatcha all THNK!!!!! make up a flyer. let them know its available and hope people will call!
Instead of the milk man " the egg man!" except we aren't men, we are kids and a mom....

yasmine
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

yasmine
wappingers falls ny
USA
173 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2011 :  04:10:00 AM  Show Profile
OH WAIT! What about starting a egg co -op! People buy into the egg co-op for a month or season and they automatically get a delivery! HAAAAA !!!! I excitement issues....You know what gets me excited ????... Watching documentaries on homesteading and farming...
Go to Top of Page

henlady35904
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

Kim
Gadsden Alabama
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2011 :  06:47:05 AM  Show Profile
I think the co-op sounds like a good idea. Also check with your local health food/country store, they are in to antibiotic free eggs!
Go to Top of Page

Bensgrandma
True Blue Farmgirl

227 Posts

Alexis
White Oak PA
USA
227 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2011 :  09:55:18 AM  Show Profile
Our kids used to sell eggs and did very well at it. We actually had people pick them up at the house. We had an extra refrigerator in the basement and they would clean the eggs, fill the cartons, and greet customers. It was a good experience for them.

I think it would spread very quickly with word of mouth. We never had to advertise at all. The co-op sounds lke a gret idea too.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/HugsandStitches
Go to Top of Page

yasmine
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

yasmine
wappingers falls ny
USA
173 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2011 :  4:22:30 PM  Show Profile
what do you think about duck eggs by the dozen in the local health food country store? any opinions on that?
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2011 :  4:28:32 PM  Show Profile
Yasmine, I am selling eggs again. I deliver when I am going to town. I have never had to throw any away. People are glad to get them. And they always say I don't charge enough. I charge $2.50 a dozen. I could sell them for $3. but I don't want to be too high. ANyway, it's a great way for me to make some spending money. I also trade 2 dozen for a gallon of raw jersey milk. Right now my goats are dry so til they kid I have to buy milk from a friend. Or barter rather. It works for us.

And the duck eggs might be better by the half dozen because they are richer and bigger. You might make more money that way. Also bakeries would be more apt to buy duck eggs. I have heard baking with duck eggs is like heaven. I had ducks but never got a single egg. I have turkeys now and still ahven't gotten any eggs. I have 4 hens and a tom.

So good luck with your new venture.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2011 :  6:13:51 PM  Show Profile
When we lived in town at our old house, we had a family that lived down the street who had hens (illegally) and they would deliver eggs to us. Or rather, the kids would. It was great! We have eggs now and barter a lot with them. Someone gave us ducks eggs awhile back and I'm with Kris - I would suggest duck eggs by the half dozen - holy moly are those puppies rich! They make the most divine omelettes!! And baking with them is GREAT!! Good luck on your ventures, Yasmine!!

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Colleen Easlon
Farmgirl in Training

49 Posts

Colleen
Port Orford OR
USA
49 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2011 :  11:15:35 PM  Show Profile
We trade our eggs in exchange for wool. There are people who live by us who have a sign at the end of their drive: "eggs for sale". I think they charge 3.00 a dozen, and they seem to be doing really well. Hope this helps.
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2011 :  04:03:35 AM  Show Profile
Eggs are a great money maker. You can make enough to pay for feed and still have a little extra. I sell my eggs for $3 dz. I could probably charge more......there's another farmer that sells his for $5 dz. I think that's too high but I could probably go up to $3.50.

My farm is a business, so everything I sell has the farm name on it. I order blank pulp egg cartons and stamp the name on the carton. I also stamp ".25 cent discount when you return the carton" My customers are great about getting the cartons back to me to re-use.

Word of mouth is more than enough for advertising. In fact, it grows so quickly you may find that you need more chickens. I have more orders than I can fill and am waiting for about 20 more pullets to start laying.

Having your kids be involved is so rewarding. We homeschooled our kids and barn chores were part of their daily routine. They learn so much about having a good work ethic.

You're on the right track and I say, "Go for it". Even if it doesn't work out, you've still learned something. No endeavor is useless.

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

therealshari
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Shari
Beryl UT
USA
235 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2011 :  6:09:28 PM  Show Profile  Send therealshari a Yahoo! Message
We've been selling eggs from "Mom's Hen House" for several years. We buy our own blank cartons and have made a computer generated label that meets our Utah state regulations. We sell here at home, at the Cedar City Farmer's Market, and also deliver to customers when we make a trip to town.

Mom gets all the money and it amounts to a fair little gold mine. The only bad news is that she doesn't think we should sell them for more than $2.00 a dozen. At 82, she's kind of living in the '50's still. We sell between 250 and 500 dozen a year.

Shari Thomas, back after a 2 year break for heart issues. Ready to get on with life now.Four Country Gals
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2011 :  07:04:52 AM  Show Profile
we sell our eggs here too. i get about 3 to 4 dozen right now. we sell to public for 3.00 and to the produce store for 2.50. i use new cartons for my folks. the store supplies cartons for theirs. this week we made 67.50 from the store and about 50.00 from neighbors. when folks come here most times they need milk or a pack of meat or a veggie too. are you going to have a garden this year. you could bring along your fresh daily garden picks to offer them. i love all the ideas here. my girls are the main bones of the farm. we had none this winter. it was difficult. i rely on the money to help buy other animal feed. hope my ideas help you. happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

JojoNH
True Blue Farmgirl

1984 Posts

Joanna
Dunbarton New Hampshire
USA
1984 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2011 :  05:30:53 AM  Show Profile
I love your idea of going around your neighborhood! If you decide to do an door to door campaign to hand out fliers, maybe you could offer a couple of eggs as a "sample" for them to try! When I started I simply gave away a 1/2 dozen to folks and told them to give it a try, if they liked them and wanted more, my information was on a small business card tucked inside so they could contact me.

My little egg business has been doing quite well until we had a weasel attack. . .which has left me sadly with 6 laying hens. . the Girls still lay daily for me and I keep a heat lamp in their coop to encourage the laying. ( Okay, so everyone knows I have very spoiled Girls) I have ordered in more for the spring, so we should be back up to our usual count by late fall.

I promise you, your customers will be very loyal to you and your girls too! There is nothing better than "Farm Fresh Eggs" we know it and your customers know it!!

Keep us posted on how you do. . . don't forget to take a few pictures of your kids starting out going door to door!!

Joanna #566

JojoNH
http://www.etsy.com/shop/CountryCents
http://CountryCents.Blogspot.com
http://www.Eastwooddesigns.com "For all your Promotional Needs"
www.JoannasHomeStudio.com "Keeping traditions alive a stitch at a time"
Go to Top of Page
  Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic does anyone deliver eggs for profit! Tell me Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page