Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Need A Good Bread Pudding Recipe
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Need A Good Bread Pudding Recipe Next Topic  

DebbieSue
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

Debbie
TX
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2011 :  8:49:17 PM  Show Profile
Does anyone have a tried and true yummy bread pudding recipe you would be willing to share? I am having a lot of company soon, and thought that would make a nice desert one day! Maybe it would even work as a side dish for breakfast? DebbieSue

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2011 :  08:06:28 AM  Show Profile
Here is one I just made, it is from Backwoods Home Cooking Anthology of Recipes.

2 cups cubed dry bread
4 cups milk, scalded
1 Tbl butter
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup sugar
4 eggs, beaten
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup raisins
nutmeg

Use the butter to grease a 2 quart baking dish. Beat the eggs in the dish. Set aside. Scald the milk in a sauce pan. Soak the bread in the hot milk, add salt, sugar, vanilla and raisins. Pour over eggs in baking dish, stir lightly. Sprinkle generously with nutmeg. Bake at 350 until firm, about 50 minutes. Cover tightly the last 10 minutes if it starts to get too brown on top. This will puff up, then settle back down in the dish. Good hot or cold.

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

Happy to be a "Raggedy Ann" in a Barbie World!

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2011 :  1:44:52 PM  Show Profile
Hey Debbie,

here is our favorite. When my husband and I were first married I discovered that he liked Bread Pudding. I tried recipe after recipe and then found this one. Homemade bread works best :) Hope you like it!

Cherry Pecan Bread Pudding

Ingredients:
½ cup chopped Pecans (optional)
½ quart Half & Half
¼ pound butter
½ cup dried tart cherries
2-teaspoon vanilla 1-quart milk
Six eggs
14 ounces sugar
One loaf French bread (or one 2 lb. Loaf homemade white bread)
½ teaspoon cinnamon

Cut bread in cubes and allow to dry overnight. In a saucepan, heat the milk and half & half along with ½ of the sugar to 120 degrees. Combine the eggs, cherries, vanilla, cinnamon, and remaining sugar in a stainless bowl and blend with a whisk. Temper the warm milk into the egg mixture by slowly pouring ½ of the milk into the egg while whisking, and then pour the egg into the milk. Stir in bread cubes and soak for 5 minutes. Melt the butter and mix into the bread with a spoon. Transfer into a baking dish (10x13) and bake at 350 for 35 minutes or until center is firm.

You can easily substitute the cherries for raisins and/or omit the fruit and nuts.

We like it for breakfast too with some hot coffee and bacon :)

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2011 :  2:59:27 PM  Show Profile
Debbie,
I forgot to tell you that I made that bread pudding last week and it was yummy! I use my leftover homemade bread and dry it in the oven first. Make sure you butter the pan really well, mine stuck a little bit.

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

Happy to be a "Raggedy Ann" in a Barbie World!

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

DebbieSue
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

Debbie
TX
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2011 :  5:17:19 PM  Show Profile
Thanks so much Ladies, for your recipes!!!! I will be using them tomorrow!! Debbie

Edited by - DebbieSue on Mar 03 2011 5:18:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2011 :  11:36:30 AM  Show Profile
I used to make bread pudding a lot when DH worked in the Wichita,Ks area and had access to Dillons supermarket. I hit the day old bake goods almost daily. The very best bread pudding was made with day old cinnamon rolls. Just add butter, milk and eggs.

Belle
Go to Top of Page

Cibola
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Remi
Ellensburg Washington
USA
50 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2011 :  5:10:47 PM  Show Profile
My husband is 77 yrs. old and his mother made him bread puddingwhen he was little. He will be so pleased that I have found this receipe. Thank you so much. This is his comfort food.

Cibola
Go to Top of Page

Cibola
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Remi
Ellensburg Washington
USA
50 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2011 :  12:34:29 PM  Show Profile
Does anyone use cinnamon in their bread pudding receipe?

Cibola
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Need A Good Bread Pudding Recipe Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page