New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Japanese Beetles Next Topic  

Mollie
True Blue Farmgirl

88 Posts

88 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2006 :  4:38:22 PM  Show Profile
Everything I have is eaten by Japanese Beetles, so I have put out those "bags" to catch them in, my bags are half full and just put them out yesterday. Walmart has a HUGE display of Japanese Beetle traps/bags. You should consider this if it's a problem in your area.

LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2006 :  5:40:15 PM  Show Profile
I don't recommend those bags. They use an attractant which ends up drawing not only the beetles from your garden but the beetles from the entire neighborhood and then some. My mom once had a small Japanese Beetle problem which turned into a huge Japanese Beetle problem after she got some of those bags.

Here's a website with good information and a quote on the traps:

http://www.uky.edu/Ag/Entomology/entfacts/trees/ef409.htm

quote:
Research conducted at the University of Kentucky has shown that the traps attract many more beetles than are actually caught. Consequently, susceptible plants along the flight path of the beetles and in the vicinity of traps are likely to suffer much more damage than if no traps are used at all. In most landscape situations, use of Japanese beetle traps probably will do more harm than good. If you experiment with traps, be sure to place them well away from gardens and landscape plants.

"I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority." -E. B. White

http://www.betweenthecities.com/blog/ljr/
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2006 :  7:50:44 PM  Show Profile
I don't recommend the bags either, unless you want every beetle within a mile radius!! I just pick them off and squish them. I know, gross. But it has to be done!! You could try drowning them in soapy water.

Karin
Go to Top of Page

Mollie
True Blue Farmgirl

88 Posts

88 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2006 :  09:34:47 AM  Show Profile
Glad you said something, those bags are bursting with beetles now and I seem to have more than ever.
Go to Top of Page

dargaonfly1054
True Blue Farmgirl

257 Posts

Georgette
Nicholville NY
USA
257 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2006 :  12:15:24 PM  Show Profile
Yep, picking them off or drowning in soapy water is great. I read a few years back when I was having trouble with them that milky white spore on the lawn kills the larva before they become the beetle.

"There is a voice that doesn't use words........Listen."
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2006 :  2:29:30 PM  Show Profile
oops! wish I had seen this post earlier! our corn is being descimated!! hubby bought a bag, and like you gals have said, it seems to have attracted more!!

each year i have to BEG for hubby to plant silver queen sweet corn i have an entire field this year and it's all being consumed by those beetles!

ohhh nooooo
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2006 :  2:42:30 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
it sounds like you should buy those bags and place it about in the next neighborhood and make then go there. ( not to be mean I mean like a city park or vacant lot if that is near. Maybe just near a road where there is only wild stuff not things you want to harvest. If it drawes them that well then place it where it will draw it away from your home. ( of course not on your neighbors property or anything destructive like that a place where it should hurt no one and then drown the bag and bugs)

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe

Edited by - sunshine on Jul 01 2006 3:38:56 PM
Go to Top of Page

LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2006 :  3:30:15 PM  Show Profile
My mom and I used to joke about putting the traps in the neighbor's yard. The only problem executing something like this in a way that wouldn't hurt anyone's plantings is you have to consider the damage the bugs will do ON THE WAY to the traps. It would be pretty hard to locate the traps in a way that wouldn't cause the beetles to pass over anyone's prized corn, daylilies or any of the other 300 some species they will feed on.

"I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority." -E. B. White

Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2006 :  05:30:18 AM  Show Profile
Hey! now there's an idea! there's an abandoned house above ours....
strange how the beetles go for smartweed too wish they'd choose that over our precious corn!
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2006 :  06:53:33 AM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
Sorry it was just a thought I have an abandond house just down the road and a vaccant park that pretty much only has grass so that was my line of thinking I am not sure I don't think I have ever seen this bug in the west utah and california is it primarily a souther thing like kudzo

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe

Edited by - sunshine on Jul 02 2006 07:34:09 AM
Go to Top of Page

LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2006 :  07:15:02 AM  Show Profile
No need to be sorry! I just learned that the Japanese Beetle is really only East of a line running from Michigan, southern Wisconsin and Illinois, south to Alabama so that would explain why you don't see them where you live. I guess they occassionally show up but not often. I also have gotten the impression that they thrive as grubs in all those lawns that look so perfect and green and don't have a weed in sight.

Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2006 :  12:25:14 PM  Show Profile
So I wonder where all the beetles came from in our neck of the woods??? We certainly don't coddle over our yard-that's for sure!!

Guess the smelly catch bag brought in ones from the neighbors
Go to Top of Page

Mari-dahlia
True Blue Farmgirl

269 Posts

Marianne
Hoosick Falls New York
USA
269 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2006 :  1:23:59 PM  Show Profile
Neem oil. and you can still pick the same day.
Go to Top of Page

sillyfoulks
True Blue Farmgirl

164 Posts

Elizabeth
Illinois
USA
164 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2006 :  06:53:43 AM  Show Profile  Send sillyfoulks an AOL message  Send sillyfoulks a Yahoo! Message
Okay, I am laughing here. You say pick and squash them. My gosh, there are billions and billions of them here. I can't imagine controling them that way. When the wind kicks up they fly from the trees like leaves in the fall. For a few weeks they got really bad. Every morning I woke up to find severl million climbing all over the walk to the driveway. I have been noticing which plants they seem to enjoy the most. Beans and corn are tops in my vegetable garden. Beans were ate to little nubs, but the corns seems to be making it through. In the flowerbeds, they seem to like the hollyhocks and morning glories the most.

Has anyone ever seen a huge one of these beetles. At least we think it was a Japanese Beetle, possibly a queen. The darn thing was almost the size of a quarter. And it flew too. Yuck!!!!

Elizabeth

http://livingcountrystyle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Japanese Beetles Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page