True Blue Farmgirl

84 Posts

Holly
CA
USA
84 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2011 :  11:40:20 PM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies,

I hope this is the right forum to be posting this in. I was really wanting to check out one of the local chapters (there are only two) in my area and contacted the leaders of both of them. They both pretty much said that they are unable to follow through with it. I get it, life happens. But, is there a way that MJF keeps track of all the chapters and if they are active or not? Does MJF remove inactive chapters after a certain period of time? I was so happy to see two chapters listed in my area but if they aren't active and leaders no longer wish to continue, shouldn't those chapters be removed from the chapter list? Anyway, just wondering how this all works. Thanks all!

Farmgirl Sister #2699
http://www.chartreuseproducts.com/hlennon.html Natural and organic cleaning products, bath and body, righteous reusables and more! Be sure to put my name (on homepage of website) in the 'How did you hear about us' section.

cathys828
Farmgirl in Training

46 Posts

Cathy M.
Dansville NY
USA
46 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2011 :  05:57:39 AM  Show Profile
Great Question!!!! My chapter is inactive and I would rather close it down and join an active one. I did find that if you go to the home page there is a search that you can do for all the chapters in your zipcode. I found quite a few chapters already started in NYS (rural), however, I am not getting a response from them, they may be inactive???

Walk in Peace Sisters, Cathy/ Sisterhood member #1300
Go to Top of Page

HollyMaker
True Blue Farmgirl

84 Posts

Holly
CA
USA
84 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2011 :  10:58:38 AM  Show Profile
Hi Cathy!

It took several days to get a response. I did the chapter search for California and there are only two that are in a reasonable driving distance from me and they are both inactive. Also, if you aren't getting a response, I would guess that the chapters are indeed inactive.:(

Farmgirl Sister #2699
http://www.chartreuseproducts.com/hlennon.html Natural and organic cleaning products, bath and body, righteous reusables and more! Be sure to put my name (on homepage of website) in the 'How did you hear about us' section.
Go to Top of Page

cathys828
Farmgirl in Training

46 Posts

Cathy M.
Dansville NY
USA
46 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2011 :  11:24:11 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the reply. I feel very alone in this new world at the moment. Last year I started up a new Chapter and before we could actually get going I got sick and (I have MS) and dropped the ball. Now, I can't get any responses, so you are probably right, they went inactive. I think there is still ways to enjoy this world without a chapter, I will try that!

Thanks again 2699

Go to Top of Page

Brian
Honorary Farmgirl

521 Posts

Brian
Moscow ID
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2011 :  11:40:41 AM  Show Profile
Since we can't possibly devote the time and resources it would take to track down and then stay in touch with every farmgirl who ever requested one of our free chapter kits, we decided that the way we have it posed as a search function is the best way for a farmgirl to find out what's going on in the world of chapters at any moment in time. Once a farmgirl writes to someone on our list and hears back that a particular chapter is no longer active, we have our fingers crossed that that will be a "call to action" to start a new chapter! To that end, we've provided sample press releases, etc. If a farmgirl gets an email back saying that a particular chapter is on hold, please forward those to me and I'll be happy to take that chapter off the list, brianogle@maryjanesfarm.org. Otherwise since the entire concept is a free service that we provide, we simply can't put wages into monitoring it.

"A different world cannot be built by indifferent people."
Check us out on Facebook: www.facebook.com/MaryJanesFarm
Go to Top of Page

HollyMaker
True Blue Farmgirl

84 Posts

Holly
CA
USA
84 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2011 :  11:47:44 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the response Brian and I totally understand. Both times the ladies wanted to hand the reigns over to me but I'm not ready for that yet. I will forward the info about these chapters to you. Thanks again.

Farmgirl Sister #2699
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2011 :  5:05:29 PM  Show Profile
Brian, that's exactly what happened with the "Fauquier (County, VA) Farmgirls" chapter I tried to start a while back. It never took off. But recently, a couple of women with more energy than I have left in these old bones were able to pull it off. It's now the "Rixeyville (VA) Farmgirls." The first gathering has already taken place and we look forward to many nexts! :-)
Go to Top of Page

latepmcreations
Farmgirl in Training

16 Posts

juddaca
high point north carolina
USA
16 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2011 :  6:48:48 PM  Show Profile
I tried to contact 5 or 6 chapters in my area of North Carolina. One said it was closed & NONE of the others answered! I'm so bummed. I'm a Girl Scout Leader of 2 different troops for 2 of my daughters. I really want to join something for me & not have to run it. Anyone in the Triad want to start one??? My Assistant Leader & I will be enthusiastic participants!!
Go to Top of Page

cathys828
Farmgirl in Training

46 Posts

Cathy M.
Dansville NY
USA
46 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2011 :  04:32:25 AM  Show Profile
I'm bummed also, I have been contacted by only one person in NYS and she told me that her chapter was closed. I am emailing Brian to close mine, also I do know that their is activity out there in NYS but no one else will answer, I want to belong, but alas, I guess I will have to go it on my own. I guess I could keep the NY Corkers open and hope someday someone asks about it. Yup, that is what I will do, I will go solo. If I have friends from out of state that want to at least gab with me and share ideas, that will be enough! "do you want to be my friend"?

Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2011 :  06:55:55 AM  Show Profile
i have been very bummed about the fact that no one that i have contacted seems to answer emails when i ask for info--

and i am not in a position to start my own chapter right now.....

Farmgirl # 2139
~*~ counting my pennies and biding my time; my dreams are adding up!~*~
Go to Top of Page

Mountain Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

JoAnn
Colville Washington
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2011 :  08:49:12 AM  Show Profile
As soon as I moved to this area 6 years ago I decided to start a chapter--this is no easy task especially in an rural area where people are few and far between. First off I thought everyone knew of Maryjane's Farm being that we are about 3 or so hours away. I started jabbering about MJ and all I got were blank looks! I had to explain who she was. Just the other day I talked to a group of women I hadn't met before while we were making garden totems. My friend made some reference to MJ and she said to me tell them about her--again blank looks and no interest--everyone seems to be busy with other things. I have had some inquiries about joining and I do email back immediately and as soon as I mention it's fairly inactive and I would welcome their ideas and input I don't hear back from them!
Go to Top of Page

marjean
True Blue Farmgirl

3851 Posts

Marsha
Deltona FL
USA
3851 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2011 :  10:21:09 AM  Show Profile
Hi Farm Girls,
First off I have to say that there are chapters that are active that you can join and do fun things with them that are in different states. If you only want to join one that is local then you'll probably keep being disappointed.

I found it works best for me to do swaps and barters in the regular forum. I started a chapter for my co-op and it just gets to difficult to keep it active with so much going on in the regular forum.

I live in Florida and have contacted farmgirl here and found we live to far away from each other to make a chapter work. So don't get bummed out, just join in the fun of the swaps, secret sister and farm friend.

That way you'll still get to know other farmgirls and as long as you keep your end of the bargain you'll gain lots of friends!

If any of you want to be my farm friend email me. We send little gifts to each other every two months based on the MJF magazine and our likes.

Hugs,
Marsha

Farmgirl sister #308
handmade cards, vintage organizer bags and more at www.jeanpatchbymk.etsy.com
http://jeanpatch.blogspot.com
www.fullerdirect.com
id#0920150
www.watkinsonline.com/rjaramillo
www.sunshinefarmgirlcoop.com
Go to Top of Page

marjean
True Blue Farmgirl

3851 Posts

Marsha
Deltona FL
USA
3851 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2011 :  10:24:53 AM  Show Profile
You're all invited to join the Sunshine Farmgirl Co-op. Just go to www.sunshinefarmgirlcoop.com and register at the top of the page!

Farmgirl sister #308
handmade cards, vintage organizer bags and more at www.jeanpatchbymk.etsy.com
http://jeanpatch.blogspot.com
www.fullerdirect.com
id#0920150
www.watkinsonline.com/rjaramillo
www.sunshinefarmgirlcoop.com
Go to Top of Page

Tammy Claxton
True Blue Farmgirl

1559 Posts

Tammy
Glen Burnie Maryland
USA
1559 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2011 :  12:14:43 PM  Show Profile  Send Tammy Claxton an AOL message
I still have my chapter, but find it difficult to get people to commit to one day every few months! Each time I try to get together, it's one excuse after another. Ughh. If anyone knows of a few good farmgirls in the MD area who would like to be a part of a really good chapter - let me know!! :)

Crafty Bay Farmgirl Chapter

"What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger"

Farmgirl #152

http://countryintheburbs.blogspot.com/

http://bigdogmom130.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

cathys828
Farmgirl in Training

46 Posts

Cathy M.
Dansville NY
USA
46 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2011 :  2:01:48 PM  Show Profile
I have an idea.....all of us who are running SOLO chapters, is it possible to start a Chapter of some sort.....what am I trying to say....help

Go to Top of Page

cranberryrose55
True Blue Farmgirl

62 Posts

Jan
San Jose California
USA
62 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2011 :  10:04:17 PM  Show Profile
Brian,

I was wondering, why couldn't you just send a mass e-mail to all the chapter's sponsors:
"a re-certification of your Farmgirl chapters, mandatory response required to keep your chapter open.."

All those who respond after sending the notice 2 times are the real deal, then delete the rest.
OR
To find out, some of us interested in cleaning up the list, we could sign up to all of the chapters, and find out who responds. Really don't think it cool to the post that information about any chapters that don't respond, we just want it people to feel special and affirmed if they go to join a chapter, they will get invited to join.

Why? I too sent 3 requests to 3 different chapters, no response. Very, very discouraging, I almost left the whole Farmgirl site, never to return. Then I thought, why let someone else go through this? Why not start a chapter? And I did.
Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2011 :  06:28:04 AM  Show Profile
i am not about to leave the whole site-too many awesome farmgals and stuff! i just truly would like to be involved with a LIVE chapter once in awhile-
i tried to join one of the virtual chapters listed and have heard nothing from any of them either- nor are they active on the boards....

it's a bummer--

marsha, i want to share experiences- not just barter and swap--there are active chapters downstate in michigan that do fun things but we would be talking too many miles to drive very often!

anyhow- i like cranberryrose's idea of recertifying---

Farmgirl # 2139
~*~ counting my pennies and biding my time; my dreams are adding up!~*~
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2011 :  08:49:27 AM  Show Profile
I am so glad I found this thread. I was getting very discouraged by not being able to find a chapter in my area that would respond to a request to join. I thought I was missing out on something everyone else had access to. (Poor me LOL) I see an adjustment of expectations is in order. I can deal with that! I'll enjoy the Forums and find some ways to get involved through them. Perhaps I'll try to start a chapter once I'm not so green behind the ears. I do really want to meet some folks and share some experiences too. Looks like those girls out west have so much fun!
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

cynfullypurple
True Blue Farmgirl

190 Posts

Cynthia
Endwell NY
USA
190 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2011 :  1:59:55 PM  Show Profile
Hi Cathy,
I Googled where you are in relation to where I am and it's about 2 hours west of me. If you'd ever like to talk via email or phone just send me an email and we can go from there! I too, have been looking for a group and just emailed 2 that are close, so I'll just wait and see if I get a response. I have another friend in my area that I "turned" onto MJ Farms and we have been talking about possibly starting a chapter, but not sure. Maybe we could even meet half way at some point just to meet and chat. I'm thinking Elmira or Corning?

Hope to hear from you:)

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."

Farmgirl #2817
Go to Top of Page

wordsforliving
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

Jannifer
Boise ID
USA
2 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2011 :  11:22:20 PM  Show Profile
How do you connect with others if there's not an active chapter in your area? I'm brand new and just submitted a request for information.

Edited by - wordsforliving on Apr 01 2011 11:23:50 PM
Go to Top of Page

cranberryrose55
True Blue Farmgirl

62 Posts

Jan
San Jose California
USA
62 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2011 :  9:35:20 PM  Show Profile
Hi Jennifer,

I contacted 3 chapters with no response. I opened a new chapter, Urban Farm Chicks, in San Jose. However, people are busy, so the seed starting is going informally with non-Mary Jane Farm members.

If you get no response from signing up.
Brian wrote earlier that--"[if]a particular chapter is on hold, please forward those to me and I'll be happy to take that chapter off the list, brianogle@maryjanesfarm.org. Otherwise since the entire concept is a free service that we provide, we simply can't put wages into monitoring it."

If no chapters are near, I believe that the ROAK thread is doing random acts of kindness with farmgirls across the country, and you might join with those farmgirls.
http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=49262
Or if you see a chapter doing something that you can join in, I would go join that chapter and see if you can join.

I have been poking around and getting an idea of what is here, so if you find something on the site that all farmgirls can do, would you share it here?

Have hope in your heart, and darkness has no home.

Edited by - cranberryrose55 on Apr 02 2011 9:37:16 PM
Go to Top of Page

cranberryrose55
True Blue Farmgirl

62 Posts

Jan
San Jose California
USA
62 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2011 :  9:49:40 PM  Show Profile
Here is a site for Mail Art Farm Girls. http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=895

They are open to farm girls nationwide and internationally.
Go to Top of Page

JojoNH
True Blue Farmgirl

1984 Posts

Joanna
Dunbarton New Hampshire
USA
1984 Posts

Posted - May 02 2011 :  11:46:45 AM  Show Profile
Hi Holly,
I have a chapter call "Mountain Chicks" Your welcome to join in. Trying to get all the members to take part is the biggest challenge to any hen house. Mine is open to all, does not matter where you live, I wanted to do an online and through the mail hen house to help the gals that are in an isolated area like myself.

So, if your interested in joining, simply email Brian and let him know you wish to join the Mountain Chicks Hen House and he will take care of giving you the keys!

Joanna #566

JojoNH
www.countrycents.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/CountryCents
http://CountryCents.Blogspot.com
www.JoannasHomeStudio.com "Keeping traditions alive a stitch at a time"
http://twitter.com/NHJoanna
Go to Top of Page
  Farmgirl Chapter Chatter: Previous Topic Inactive Chapters Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: