Calico Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Meg
Middle Tennessee
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2011 :  08:47:28 AM  Show Profile

We are building our new farm, one building at a time. We are taking it slow and want everything well thought out. I would love to hear any farmgirl advice on location of house in respect to outbuildings; the driveway reaching outbuildings first and the house last? We will be working with the water department next month concerning location of the well and septic. What has worked well for you and what would you do differently with your farm?

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4216 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4216 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2011 :  6:23:24 PM  Show Profile
We didn't start from scratch, so didn't get to do too much changing, as far as building location. It would be really nice to look out a kitchen window, or any window and be able to see your animals. If your having farm animals, cows, horses, etc. A view of the pasture. We have been here for 22 years, and have changed plans as far as barn, and barn yard layout. You almost need to work with things for a while, then see what design will work best. Having enough corrals, being able to keep animals seperated, and still get at the water. It is a work in progress. Have fun planning.
Michele
Go to Top of Page

ladyfarmer29
Farmgirl in Training

15 Posts

Tina
Delta OH
USA
15 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2011 :  07:11:48 AM  Show Profile  Send ladyfarmer29 a Yahoo! Message
Plan for expansion. That was our biggest mistake. We built 11 years ago and put up our shop first and then the house. We thought we had things just how we wanted them and then the kids go older and wanted animals. The only place we could put up another building would be in front of the house and I am bucking pretty hard on that one. I would have moved our house farther ahead so that we had more room in the back to play around with. :)
Tina
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2011 :  3:06:48 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
And make sure your house is uphill from the barns if possible!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2011 :  5:32:51 PM  Show Profile
My house is in the middle of our 3 acres. I can pretty much see everything. What I wish we had more of is water faucets. I hate hoses and always get kinks or they get stuck. So if we had more faucets I wouldn't jhave to have way too long hoses to drag around. Very annoying. Also sometimes it's good for YOU to see the animals but not THEM see you. There is alot I would change if we had started from scratch. I would like better fences and bigger gates.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Calico Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Meg
Middle Tennessee
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2011 :  06:29:30 AM  Show Profile
Thank you all for your valuable input! Kris, I was thinking of number of water faucets (well water) and started to doubt myself worrying about the pipes freezing. We will be in middle TN.
Our building site is at the top of a hill overlooking pasture. We are building a machine shed with finished area to live in temporarily while we build the house. Somewhere in that process I need a chicken coop to transfer the girls when we move. I don't think the money will hold out long enough to build a barn and a greenhouse but that is definately on our wish list. Where should a chicken coop be in relation to a barn? I plan on free-ranging some of the chickens but probably not my little bantams. I remember reading a year ago someone's post about dairy farms not allowed to have chickens near by? We aren't going into dairy but I would like to have one or two cows for milk.

Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2011 :  08:49:48 AM  Show Profile
Good topic, I'll be sure to follow this one since we too are moving onto our first bit of land. The house, well and septic are set as is the road but other than that we're needing all the outbuildings and I've been wondering about the best locations for them too. I've heard too that you need the house to be upwind from the barn, makes sense to me, especially here in windy Wyoming!

Audrey

Toto, we're not in Kansas any more!
Go to Top of Page

dprovence
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Debbie
Little Rock AR
USA
55 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2011 :  10:40:07 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for asking this question. I only have chickens now but want to add some milk goats and other things. This will help in placement of other outbuildings for my growing list of family members!

Huggs and Smyles,
Debbie
Farmgirl Sister #2636
Go to Top of Page

hereford girl
Farmgirl in Training

19 Posts

meredith
fairfield virginia
USA
19 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2011 :  05:04:32 AM  Show Profile
I dont know if you live in a place where this might be a concern, but I recommend situating the driveway so that anyone who comes in passes the HOUSE first, not the outbuildings. This way you know who is there before they help themselves to whatever you have in your outbuildings! Good luck and congratulations on your new farm!
Go to Top of Page

Victoria Ashley
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Victoria
Plains Montana
USA
3 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2011 :  06:50:38 AM  Show Profile
Your farm will grow best along with you, not planned out ahead of time. Especially if you aim to have a profitable farm business, grow as slowly as necessary to make sure you invest in the infrastructure that is really most important to your success. Also, remember that on the farm, the old adage "function before form" really holds true--a shoddy but functional building can look positively romantic in the right setting.

Congratulations on the new farm!
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2011 :  1:30:08 PM  Show Profile
Make sure you plan to get electric/water to all your outbuildings as well. :)

Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Advice on Farmyard Layout Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page