New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Slipcovers Next Topic  

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2005 :  11:57:44 AM  Show Profile
Well..as the snow flies( and boy is it!) my two favorite things to do are bake and sew. I've got a wing chair that needs a face lift badly so you see where I am headed! When I was first married I made slipcovers for a second hand sofa and swore( in more ways than one!) that I would never do this again. But I am older (and hopefully wiser...) so here I go again! I already did the ottoman because that was fun Any tips from someone who does this regularly? I can't even articulate what part of it I don't like , I love all the tailoring details and the end result so what is it? I'm not a stranger to work so that can't be it either!

with a happy heart

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2005 :  12:19:22 PM  Show Profile
Well Bramble,
I also do not enjoy making slip covers!!!!! I have been re-upholstering for a little over 30 years. I love doing that!! But slip covers, ugh. I think it is the fact that the work is just as hard as completely recovering a piece but you end up with a costume instead of a real piece of furniture. What is worse is that you are always having to readjust the stupid things after the dog has spent the night trying to bunch it up into a pillow! Even when you use the dowel trick to keep it tucked in it still is always a little scewed to one side or the other. The advantages are that you can take them off and wash them or have several to change with the seasons.
Call me crezy, but I would rather have the recoverey job any day.
Eileen

songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2005 :  5:26:12 PM  Show Profile
I think I read recently that Mary Jane will be discussing slipcovers in her new book? Won't that be great if she has some tips on this.

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century.
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Slipcovers Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page